PDA

View Full Version : Hello

Big Joe-USA
10th August 2005, 01:07 PM
I've been lurking here a little while trying to get a feel for the Forum. Seems like a good bunch of people here. I'm still a newbe at turning and use the 80 grit gouge a lot still. Here's a few pic's of some things I've turned so far, and I'm hoping to pick the brains of some (or all) of you for different tips and techniques that you use to improve your turning. Now you know these are some of my best ones so far, I've turned a lot of ugly (but fancy) firewood.

Wongo
10th August 2005, 01:13 PM
I like your work and welcome :)

zenwood
10th August 2005, 03:55 PM
Welcome Big Joe. Love the pieces. The shapes and timbers are very nice. What are the timbers? Pic 2 looks like cherry.

smidsy
10th August 2005, 04:00 PM
Hei Joe,
Welcome to the madhouse, that's some nice work you've done there - and you're not the only one here that has weird shaped firewood :D

Cheers
Paul

Termite
10th August 2005, 04:22 PM
Welcome Joe, nice stuff. My stuff dosen't start out as firewood but a lot of it sure ends up that way. :D

La truciolara
10th August 2005, 05:51 PM
Big Joe. A warm welcome from the other side of the atlantic.
Great pieces you have shown us!

Christopha
10th August 2005, 06:11 PM
Hey there Joe.... what Trucky says,.... Welcome to the (sometimes) madhouse, we sling off at ya, we may try to insult ya.... but we will always like and welcome ya... have fun down under mate!
Oh, I have been turning for pleasure and profit for many years and my missus always has kept some of my early efforts which she she rescued from the woodbox just to keep my feet on the ground so be proud of whatchadun!

tonysa
10th August 2005, 08:52 PM
G'day Big Joe

welcome again

nice turnings, especially for a newbie
i haven't got to that stage yet, but getting there !
80 grit works wonders doesnt it
i look forward to seeing your future pieces
there's heaps of information available on this forum, (try the search engine at some stage, works well) and so far they all seem a helpful bunch.

Cheers
Tony

Big Joe-USA
10th August 2005, 09:59 PM
Welcome Big Joe. Love the pieces. The shapes and timbers are very nice. What are the timbers? Pic 2 looks like cherry.
Thanks!

The 1st pic is Apple, the 2nd is Cherry, and the last is Madrone burl and an unknown burl for the base and collar. This one ended as a funnel so I needed to epoxy a base on it.

Joe

zenwood
10th August 2005, 11:38 PM
Apple! Cool: never seen apple-wood before. Love the crazy colours. Are they normal in apple, or was this a special piece?

Optimark
11th August 2005, 12:13 AM
Zenwood, have a look at an oldish Disston hand saw, you'll find that the handle is invariably apple timber.

Joe, welcome to the board.

Mick.

Big Joe-USA
11th August 2005, 10:17 AM
Apple! Cool: never seen apple-wood before. Love the crazy colours. Are they normal in apple, or was this a special piece?
As far as I know, the color is about the same in trunk or limb wood. That was the only piece I've turned of Apple, but I still have a 3' log to cut into blanks.

rond
15th September 2005, 03:11 PM
:) :)

Hi Joe
Welcome
Great stuff
You can see I am just trying to find my way in this forum as well
I'm only a beginner also and appreciate the wealth of knowledge and skill out there in 'Forumland'.
If you can like me can sift through the banter and tripe that goes with the territory there is so much to see and learn
Boy! it would have been great to have been able to access this knowledge as a youngster.
As an old dog I can [I hope] still learn something new every day.

adrian
15th September 2005, 03:47 PM
Nice work.
Welcome to the forum. They're a good bunch of guys here but I hope you have a thick hide because you'll need it from time to time.

Zed
15th September 2005, 03:48 PM
hi there, nice work - watch out for grunt, he'll steal your avatar if you let him...

Grunt
15th September 2005, 04:05 PM
hi there, nice work - watch out for grunt, he'll steal your avatar if you let him...

I only do it to those I love.

:D

bdar
16th September 2005, 09:58 PM
Hi Big Joe,

Welcome to the mad house from bdar aka Big Dar, lovely work
looking forward to more of your work. My first bowl makes a
lovely door stop. :D

Darren