PDA

View Full Version : Turning Dried Apple Branch With Pith

thumbsucker
3rd February 2016, 11:47 AM
I have a few branches 60 mm x 300 mm Apple branches, the branches were cut off three years ago. Sealed with wax and left indoors to dry. The Apple did not split or check at all and is very dry. I was wondering since the pith has not split could I turn the branch the Apple pith and all? I want to make some ball knobs. So 75% of the length of pith will be drill out anyway.

BobL
3rd February 2016, 11:58 AM
Cant saw why not. Is the pith soft?

thumbsucker
3rd February 2016, 12:21 PM
If I was to saw it along the pith the diameter would be to small. The pith is hard.

BobL
3rd February 2016, 12:24 PM
If I was to saw it along the pith the diameter would be to small. The pith is hard.

Sorry I meant to write, "Can't SEE why not"

Especially if the pith is hard.

thumbsucker
3rd February 2016, 12:29 PM
Thanks Bob

I will give it a try.

Ron Rutter
3rd February 2016, 05:02 PM
I have a few branches 60 mm x 300 mm Apple branches, the branches were cut off three years ago. Sealed with wax and left indoors to dry. The Apple did not split or check at all and is very dry. I was wondering since the pith has not split could I turn the branch the Apple pith and all? I want to make some ball knobs. So 75% of the length of pith will be drill out anyway.
TS. My experience with branches is that they very seldom split. You can take them & cut 1/8" - 1/4" wafers & they wont split. I think it has something to do with the density. Ron.

Grommett
3rd February 2016, 10:57 PM
I would certainly try. That it hasn't split to date sounds good. What's to loose?

Paul39
5th February 2016, 06:07 AM
Thumbsucker,

If it has not split by now it probably won't. I have had almost zero luck with full round things. Almost everything splits.