PDA

View Full Version : vicmarc chuck question

Faulko
3rd February 2016, 06:52 PM
hi, I have a vm120 chuck. standard jaws on it and get most use. Lately, I have noticed some play in the jaws. By this I mean that each jaw is securely attached (I have double checked screws and all are tight), and when the jaws are open to any extent, if I grab a jaw I can get it to move slightly, back and forth along its track. I have to admit I don't recall how little slack there was when chuck was bought new, almost a year ago, but it now seems more than I would figure to be OK. I have a nova, which has some play, but I recall being impressed with the better quality, lower tolerances of the vicmarc out of the box. Is it normal for this sort of slack to develop and worsen over time? if so, should I expect it top continue? I had hoped to have the chuck for life, or almost! any advice appreciated. cheers

Woodturnerjosh
3rd February 2016, 07:26 PM
They do loosen up after a bit of use but I've had three for around a decade and while you can grab the individual jaws and wiggle them back and forth it still holds things perfectly true (providing you make a proper sized tenon or recess). I can't think of a way to accurately measure the movement in mine without going over board but I don't think it's anything to worry about.
Oh, and once they've initially loosened up I don't think they get any worse.

Josh

hughie
3rd February 2016, 07:33 PM
I would say its normal wear and tear and they should wear evenly on all four jaws, with that it wont be a problem.

If one wears more than the other then you have some concern that will have to be addressed and I would talk to Vicmarc.

I have a number of chucks for many years all with varying amounts of wear, its never been a problem.

smiife
3rd February 2016, 08:03 PM
Hi faulko,
I ain, t no expert on these things, but I suggest taking
It apart and cleaning it, has a great video on
how to ! Regrease it and see how you go,
my jaws on all my chucks have a bit of movment
as long as when you tighten around a tenon it, s
tight,,,, then they are fine!
Sorry not sure how to do the link thingy!

Mobyturns
3rd February 2016, 09:25 PM
Usually its the opposite, "the jaw slides don't move freely any more, whats wrong with my chuck." :rolleyes:

Maybe its time to give the chuck a bit of maintenance as you are probably noticing a lack of grease between the jaw slides and the scroll which would give the impression of loose jaw slides.

If you visit Facebook look up Vicmarc's page and look for Marco's video (March 2014) on chuck maintenance.

NeilS
8th February 2016, 03:12 PM
I would say its normal wear and tear and they should wear evenly on all four jaws, with that it wont be a problem.

+1

If you tighten onto a tenon (or expand into a recess) and there is still play, then you have a problem.

If you get excessive runout when you tighten onto a trued tenon, then you have a problem.

Otherwise, in my experience, a little slop in the jaws isn't a problem.

I'm yet to find a significant difference in the performance of Bonham, Nova & Vicmarc chucks after they have been 'run in'.