(says he, asking the obvious question)

zenwood
12th August 2005, 02:49 PM
Like Dougs ?

(says he, asking the obvious question)
hehe too quick gumby: see options.

Gumby
12th August 2005, 02:50 PM
But where's the option for people like me who use a true life photo of themselves as their avatar ? We have no option to choose from. :rolleyes:

(or should that be...no option from which to choose) :D - see I can write proper when I want.

zenwood
12th August 2005, 02:55 PM
But where's the option for people like me who use a true life photo of themselves as their avatar ? We have no option to choose from. :rolleyes:

(or should that be...no option from which to choose...
Up with that I will not put. :)

Truth or falsity of avatar is beside the point. Your avatar happens to be a true representation, but is still non-animated (unless you count the mysterious appearances and disappearances of the hat to get washed). :)

Grunt
12th August 2005, 03:03 PM
I too have a true life photo of myself.

I don't mind the animated avatars. If someone doesn't like them they can turn off the animation in IE if they want.

Grunt
12th August 2005, 03:05 PM
I wonder if Doug's avatar is a true life photo of him?

craigb
12th August 2005, 03:22 PM
I voted distracting, but it doesn't really bother me all that much.

silentC
12th August 2005, 04:21 PM
I hate the bloody things. :D

Zed
12th August 2005, 05:03 PM
doug the slug for president. I wish I could get one of a ape picking its nose...

silentC
12th August 2005, 05:17 PM
Here you go. I borrowed that Senator bloke's finger for it:

Zed
12th August 2005, 05:38 PM
how do I use it ?

Iain
12th August 2005, 06:05 PM
how do I use it ?
First, take one senator, insert in nostril, the rest should be obvious.
I think it's already been done with all the snot they dribble about :rolleyes:

Christopha
12th August 2005, 06:26 PM
Another nobbled poll! Where is the question thats says, " Who gives a bats bum!"?

MajorPanic
12th August 2005, 06:32 PM
Bring em on baby!!!!

BUT

They just gotta be different versions of Dougs!! :D :D :D

Grunt
12th August 2005, 06:45 PM
how do I use it ?

Right mouse click on the image and select 'Save picture as'. Save it to someplace on you hard disk.

Then go an upload it as a new avatar.

ele__13
12th August 2005, 06:55 PM
Doug doesnt wibble like that !!! her eis prooof !!!

Gingermick
12th August 2005, 07:44 PM
I find doug's the most distracting :eek:

outback
12th August 2005, 08:01 PM
I think when Doug replies he should at least type someting.

What do you mean he does.

No he doesn't, I look long and hard at all his replies, nothing, nadda, nil.

OHHH, to the right of the avatar, I'll look next time, sorry Doug. :D

MajorPanic
12th August 2005, 08:06 PM

I didn't know you looked to the right either............

Thanks for the heads-up Outback!! :p ;)

Auld Bassoon
12th August 2005, 08:54 PM

LOL! It's certainly mesmerisinghttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon10.gif

ele__13
12th August 2005, 09:17 PM
Doug doesnt wibble like that !!! here is prooof !!!

echnidna
12th August 2005, 09:35 PM
Doug doesnt wibble like that !!! her eis prooof !!!

Sounds like the model for Dougs avatar is Ele? :)

Stuart
13th August 2005, 01:56 AM

(or should that be...no option from which to choose) :D - see I can write proper when I want.

There's always an option.....

Wongo
13th August 2005, 02:27 AM
This is by far the coolest. :cool:

Groggy
13th August 2005, 12:02 PM
What do you think of animated avatars?I don't really mind them, but practically speaking they are a nuisance. I sometimes review this board on a HP PDA and it makes the screen builds jump around, forcing me to wait for the entire screen to load before commencing reading.

Gumby
13th August 2005, 12:12 PM
There's always an option.....

Where's me hat ???

Can you do it with this one ?

zenwood
13th August 2005, 01:37 PM
Where's me hat ???

Hey Gumby: I just realised: if yours is a true photo, and not an avatar, how come it doesn't look like what I remember Gumby as?

Iain
13th August 2005, 01:56 PM
He's getting older...........

Gumby
13th August 2005, 03:30 PM
Hey Gumby: I just realised: if yours is a true photo, and not an avatar, how come it doesn't look like what I remember Gumby as?

Yeah, that's my baby photo :D

Waldo
13th August 2005, 10:41 PM
G'day,

I'd like to see Doug's go a bit further like the pens which you turn up the other way. Mmmmm arhhhhh. :D

Stuart
14th August 2005, 03:52 AM
Where's me hat ???

Can you do it with this one ?

Will give it a crack!

doug the slug
14th August 2005, 02:37 PM
G'day,

I'd like to see Doug's go a bit further like the pens which you turn up the other way. Mmmmm arhhhhh. :D

Thanks Waldo, im working on that

zenwood
16th August 2005, 12:35 PM
After getting thoroughly annoyed at animated avatars, I came across this tip for switching off the buggers:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_:_Tips_:_Animated_Images

I am now a happy camper, and can remain calm in my zen-like state of woodforum browsing. :)

Grunt
16th August 2005, 02:18 PM
After getting thoroughly annoyed at animated avatars, I

What? You don't like Zed picking his nose? Shear class in my book.

Stuart
16th August 2005, 06:07 PM
bloody hell - was that 2 days ago??? will get a round tuit (http://www.passco.com/tuit.htm) eventually!

zenwood
16th August 2005, 06:18 PM
Hey: how come I can't see who voted in this poll. All the other polls, I can. :(

MajorPanic
16th August 2005, 06:24 PM
Someone has to look after Gumby...............

Here ya go...... ;) :D :D :D

Gumby
16th August 2005, 07:36 PM
Hey: how come I can't see who voted in this poll. All the other polls, I can. :(

It's an option when creating the poll. You can either have the votes made public or not.

Someone has to look after Gumby...............

Here ya go...... ;) :D :D :D

Thanks Maj ;)

Stuart
17th August 2005, 12:39 PM
Click on the image- it is animated, but must be a bit too big for the animation to work directly on the bb.

Waldo
17th August 2005, 12:41 PM
G'day Stuart Less,

Why is Gumby so sad? Is it because they're no longer jumping around? Or is it beacuase he can look but not touch? :D

Stuart
17th August 2005, 12:44 PM
Click on the pic and you'll see the whole story!

Waldo
17th August 2005, 12:47 PM
Hehehehehe! :D What a lucky little green Gumby!

lbarnes
17th August 2005, 02:16 PM
Try this

Gumby
17th August 2005, 02:20 PM
Click on the pic and you'll see the whole story!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I love it :D (Although Doug has copyrighted large bouncy breasts so i need permission to use it) :)

Termite
17th August 2005, 02:26 PM
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I love it :D (Although Doug has copyrighted large bouncy breasts so i need permission to use it) :)
I usually need permission to use them too. :eek: :D

doug the slug
17th August 2005, 02:32 PM
Well i just tried to upgrade to the new version but its too big for the system to take as an avatar anyway

Stuart
17th August 2005, 02:40 PM
Barnesy - what did I do wrong?

Doug (and others), if you ask real nice, I might be able to mod others, but I'm not going to do many- takes too much (work) time!

Gumby
17th August 2005, 02:47 PM
I usually need permission to use them too. :eek: :D

That's brilliant :D

zenwood
17th August 2005, 03:00 PM
Just temporarily turned animation back on: I see Gumby's in Gumby Nirvana:D.

Geez: I though I spent too much time on this board. :)

Stuart
17th August 2005, 03:05 PM
Woohoo! - Honoured indeed if we managed to entice the great Zen master to reanimate (even temporarily!) :D

fyi - I didn't make the animation small enough to be an avatar, simply because I wanted to create a reasonable result, and the 19k limit would have shot the quality all to hell. As it was, I had to compromise quite a bit to fit under the 200k overall attachment limit!

gatiep
17th August 2005, 09:42 PM
Barnesy - what did I do wrong?

Doug (and others), if you ask real nice, I might be able to mod others, but I'm not going to do many- takes too much (work) time!

You are welcome to fire my jet turbine up if you like!

Caliban
17th August 2005, 10:01 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't tankstand have doug's avatar first before he became a "nice boy, really"?
I remember being mesmerised by it and SWMBO banned me from these forums for a long time as a result. I still hear a ringing in my ears and a bouncing in my eyes.Let's give credit where it's due.

Stuart
17th August 2005, 10:19 PM
You are welcome to fire my jet turbine up if you like!

Oooh - I like it! It might take a little while- have to find some interesting graphics- or make some for real...... Hmmmm....... now that is an interesting thought too.........

Re Tankstand, yes, he did use it on this site previously, but he would concur that he wasn't the originator of the image.

Tankstand
17th August 2005, 10:48 PM
Re Tankstand, yes, he did use it on this site previously, but he would concur that he wasn't the originator of the image.

Quite correct Stuart.

I pinched it from cyber space and after an all too brief love affair with it, I removed it, why?

Just to appease a few members, much was the suffering, withdrawal and remorse! (That was just me! :D )

And then came Doug!

All hail Doug!

All hail Doug!

Doug, received any RED rep points because of it?

Waldo
17th August 2005, 11:07 PM
G'day Stuart Lees,

What are the guidelines and rules for size etc of an animated aviatr in this joint? Going to make Hagar skull some ales :D

zenwood
18th August 2005, 12:23 AM
Waldo: if you look at the rules carefully, they're banned.

...he said in abject despair ... :(

Waldo
18th August 2005, 05:07 PM
G'day,

And cheers! (damnit it ain't movin unless I click on it, what's goin' on 'ere?)

Stuart
18th August 2005, 05:28 PM
Waldo - works for me!
Guess you found those restrictions then ;)

Nice try Zen!

Waldo
18th August 2005, 05:31 PM
G'day Stuart Lees,

Took a wild punt they'd be the same spec limits of a straight avitar. Thanks for the compliment.

Neil
18th August 2005, 05:38 PM
What wrong with animated avatars then???

Zenwood - Save me some time wading through the rules. Whats banned?

Neil :confused:

zenwood
18th August 2005, 05:51 PM
Whats banned?Nothing, mate ;). stuart_lees (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showpost.php?p=187303&postcount=59)<script type="text/javascript"> vbmenu_register("postmenu_187303", true);* </script> picked it up:
Nice try Zen!This thread has generated a flurry of new animation.

Noooooo o o o ..... . . . . . . .

's OK though, I now know how to switch 'em off. My faith in Firefox is restored.

Some forums using vBulletin do actually ban them. Hmmm...

Wood Butcher
18th August 2005, 10:47 PM
Bring em on baby!!!!

BUT

They just gotta be different versions of Dougs!! :D :D :D

Have to admit, all ways interesting viewing when doug posts a message!:D:D

doug the slug
19th August 2005, 08:29 AM
Doug, received any RED rep points because of it?

Hi Tankstand, as i understand it you ceased using this avatar well before i joined this forum, and i wasnt aware anyone else had used it previously before adopting it. ive received probably 10 greenies directly attributable to this avatar, usually accompanied by a message begging me never to change it, and only one reddie. it came with the comment "for a distasteful avatar" .

Naturally, i fired off a reddie back to member concerned with the comment "you have no taste and your avatar is boring".

Ive also had a couple of email requests for copies of the avatar from people wanting to useit on other boards (seems not everyone knows they can just right click an avatar and download it)

I dont remember where i found the avatar in the first place or who originated it, so i cant answer the eternal question of whose boobies they are.http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon12.gif

Skew ChiDAMN!!
19th August 2005, 09:44 PM
This thread has generated a flurry of new animation.

Not from the real darksiders. Probably only 'cos they haven't worked out how to semaphore it to their ISPs though. http://members.optusnet.com.au/%7Eamcardle60/Smilies/hissyfit.gif

Stuart
19th August 2005, 09:52 PM
I dont remember where i found the avatar in the first place or who originated it, so i cant answer the eternal question of whose boobies they are.http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon12.gif

Liar ;)

Caliban
19th August 2005, 09:56 PM
Aw Doug
The reason I read your posts is I thought they were yours.

Sturdee
19th August 2005, 10:16 PM

When Tankstand had it he posted the link for the website it was on. So a search will tell you where you got it from. :D

Peter.

doug the slug
19th August 2005, 11:03 PM
When Tankstand had it he posted the link for the website it was on. So a search will tell you where you got it from. :D

Peter.

Peter this avatar is all over the internet, what you are saying assumes i got it from the same source as tankstand, and from the way you said it i suspect the source was, well lets say a little seedy. what are you trying to get at, mate???

Sturdee
19th August 2005, 11:56 PM
Sorry Doug, I just presumed that you got it from the same website and that one had a range of animated avatars ready for downloading.

Nothing seedy and my apologies if my post came out wrong.

Peter.

Stuart
19th August 2005, 11:58 PM
Perhaps we are looking for some suggested sites to visit......
:D

Tankstand
20th August 2005, 01:52 AM
It's a sad day thread (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=17532)

There's a link in my post (#8) in this thread. :eek: (Gamble? not me! :) )

maglite
20th August 2005, 02:28 AM
Personally, i dont care and rarely even notice but given a choice......any chance we could combine Dougs and Landsekas into one.

Like i said i rarely even notice:D

Steve

Caliban
20th August 2005, 08:16 AM
Personally, i dont care and rarely even notice but given a choice......any chance we could combine Dougs and Landsekas into one.

Like i said i rarely even notice:D

Steve
God no. We'd get even less done then, and Neil would have to charge us rent.
We'd all be like those two clowns on the movie "Weird Science".
Talk about hypnotising. Tried to give you a greenie for the visuals though. ;)

Caliban
20th August 2005, 08:18 AM
Peter this avatar is all over the internet, what you are saying assumes i got it from the same source as tankstand, and from the way you said it i suspect the source was, well lets say a little seedy. what are you trying to get at, mate???
Careful, You used the "m" word, the parliament house police will get you you politically incorrect peasant. :D

Gingermick
20th August 2005, 08:49 AM
the question

The question I have is would you be able to put half a dozen empty lines in before your posts. i can't bloody concentrate long enough to read a sentence and if your message is down the bottom, I can pan down.

zathras
20th August 2005, 11:23 AM
:D
Careful, You used the "m" word, the parliament house police will get you you politically incorrect peasant. :D

I noticed there was no mention of "cobber", so obviously something like "G'day cobber, how they hangin" is still free for open use :D :D :cool:

Gumby
20th August 2005, 12:33 PM
Doug, she's got bigger overnight and looks like she'll explode !

Waldo
20th August 2005, 06:23 PM
G'day,

To steal on Gumby's post.

"I can't hold onto her any longer Sir, she's about to explode!" :D

AlexS
20th August 2005, 08:27 PM
... i cant answer the eternal question of whose boobies they are.http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon12.gif

Is THAT what they are? I thought it was a pair of tomcats fighting in a sugar bag. :D

outback
20th August 2005, 09:23 PM
Is THAT what they are? I thought it was a pair of tomcats fighting in a sugar bag. :D

That's one hell of a cat fight. :D

speedy
21st August 2005, 11:24 PM
all back to normal. Thanks Doug. :D:D:D:D:D:D