PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about your workbench

Cagey
13th August 2005, 04:09 PM
There is plenty of info around about construction of workbenches, especially on OS websites, but what i want to know is what local timber have you used for your bench top. Also any reason not to make base from RHS steel (very easy for me)

goodwoody
13th August 2005, 04:29 PM
My bench top is 45mm thick recycled floor joist made from ironbark. Hard dry and heavy. the rest of the bench was constructed from recycled timbers of mixed variety. The frame could be steel if you wish, there are no hard and fast rules regarding constructing this item. What has to be considered is who will stand at the bench using it so that person will have a lot of say in it. I'm assuming it is you. So its your choice.

Zed
13th August 2005, 05:32 PM
Try this thread

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=12779

cheers

Pat
13th August 2005, 09:50 PM
Pinus crapias for the current one. I have the 4 x 4 and 4 x 5 Tallow wood for the next one. Use what ever you can get your mits on! :)

Waldo
13th August 2005, 10:14 PM
G'day Cagey,

My workbench: the top is 140x45 hardwood (Gum of some sort), mix of redwood, ironbark, treated pine and various bits I scrounged from demolished houses, decks etc.

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=19572

Can't see why you couldn't make the frame from RHS. I just say built it as strong as you can so it can take all sorts of agro. :D

JohnM
14th August 2005, 12:05 AM
Hi

My bench has RHS frame, scrap timber top (I won't even try to guess what it might be) covered with an offcut of 1/2 inch marine ply that fell off the back of a truck. I have had it for about ten years and two house moves, and still find it serves the purpose. :) Furniture removalists hate it though. :eek: :eek:

routermaniac
14th August 2005, 01:18 AM
I have started building my first bench now, I am using F17 hardwwod for the frame and laminated crapiata for the top, (just in case I stuff it up), once I get more experience I'll build a hardwood top.

Mark Spaulding
14th August 2005, 03:02 PM
I made my bench from MDF (3 sheets) and 8/4 Ash. Very heavy and stable! Wood was only a couple hundred dollars, a big savings over a commercial unit.

Wild Dingo
14th August 2005, 04:15 PM
Mines from Tuart... hard as ***** wood which I incidently had a quite a bit of layin around out the front in several stacks!

But... I gotta admit I was in a rush when I made the thing and she wasnt quite dry so the top planks have sorta created nice wee gaps between themselves :rolleyes: ... but hey its still solid as a rock!!! :cool:

I keep buyin these flippin tools that have for their stands this pathetic steel cage thing... absoflaminlutely pathetic as a stand but thats what they reckon they are... so anyways I have still got a fair bit of the Tuart left along with a bit of Jarrah Blackbutt Marri and Karri I will use for those... those stands that come with the machines are only good for bracing a birds cage! :mad: ah well no worries tis the machine ones payin for and if a fella/sheila has any sence they will build their own stand licketty split!

Use the steel mate but make sure its bloody solid steel not the crap that the companies that sell stands with their machines use... brace well... oh and you ARE going to use a good solid tough timber for the top of course :cool:

Cagey
14th August 2005, 09:21 PM
I am thinking 50x50 & 75x50 RHS @2.5mm wall. Fully welded and maybe even powdercoated CT blue to match my machinery:D, all of which is ex stock in my factory, I even have a design in my head, but was unsure about top timber. There is plenty of good help here abouts (thanks), so i am thinking F17 (over the top?) hardwood from the local building suppliers, but havent yet decided to go with 50mm or 75 thick. No one has asked about dogs yet, yes I have one but she isnt allowed in the shed, and before anyone comments I dont meen the missus. Please keep any ideas coming:D.

NewLou
14th August 2005, 11:59 PM
Gidday Cagey:)

I'd suggest you don't use f17 for the top if you want it flat................ It will move!!!

Try to use really stable timber if you can get your hands on it!!!! do a few searches of late theres been a few great bench tops using mdf & things like masonite.............just as effective and works out cheaper!!!

Regards Lou

LineLefty
15th August 2005, 11:45 AM
Cagey, my bench base is made of 3mm angle iron. It's as strong and stable as you'll ever need but adding vises and things can be a bit difficult. I'd also 'infill' the angle iron on the front stretcher with some timber so that you can attach clamps when needed.

sinjin1111
15th August 2005, 01:45 PM
A mate of mine who is an industrial designer made his bench frame out of 100 x 100 x 6 angle maybe 8 can't really remember. Drilled Dia.13mm holes up all the faces at 50mm centers.
All of the ajoining plates were laser cut and neatly welded. He mounted some very serious oversize polyurethane wheels and a neatly designed over center lock so he can move it when he needs to then apply the locks. The holes up all the legs act as supports for dogs which he had made. The bench frame was powder coated Yellow to match the wheels. At one end he mounted serious heavy duty draws with double extensions. These draw runners will carry 100kg each.
Its a bit of a work of art in itself and a really top bench. I think it cost him around the $650 mark but its a fantastic bench. Angle over SHS/RHS has one big advantge and that is easy to clamp to if you like.
Sinjin

Stubchain
15th August 2005, 02:34 PM
Mine is a second hand office desk, it's 1.8m long x 800mm wide. The top is a solid 40mm thick and very flat. I added a bottom shelf and then added some lockable castors. It gives me a lot of scope because it moves around very well. The desk cost me $12 from work, great value.

JDarvall
15th August 2005, 05:03 PM
My tops is justs whats left after truing and gluing up 3 2 metre long 2x6" red gum planks together.

Like your idea of making a base out of Steel. Probably a bit more easier to move than my idea of making a base out of cement walls. <- Don't laugh. I did this once.
Made a base out of cement by screwing a mould in the shape of a U with a little rio, and just poured cement in. And then just put a hardward top on, dinobolted down. Was the strongest workbench around I reakon. And no, it didn't crack up when I started weilding a mallet. :D

The only problem was I couldn't take it with me when I moved home. :D Could only take the top. I think now the base is being used as a barbeque or something. :rolleyes: