PDA

View Full Version : H&F wl-12?

Theodor
7th March 2016, 08:49 PM
A friend has lent me his old 1995 Hare & Forbes lathe. Unfortunately he has lost the centres and any chucks he might have had. :~ I'm keen for some info on the machine before I purchase these things...

Unfortunately I can't identify the model number. I think it says WL-12 but it's hard to tell. Did H&F sell anything with a model like that back in the 90's? It has a 12" swing and is 37" centre to centre.

Any assistance would be appreciated, especially if someone has seen a manual!

Theodor
8th March 2016, 08:35 AM
Here are some pics to assist with the model identification...

Another question: are there standard sizes for the screw that chucks attach to? Because I have just been considering centres, I measured the inside of the screw ends to be approx 1/2". What would be the correct sizes chucks to look at for such a screw?

Being new to turning, I'm extremely keen to get this lathe mounted on a stand and working!

Paul39
8th March 2016, 12:17 PM
Theodor,

According to the chart in this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machine_taper

If the holes in the spindle and tail stock taper and are smooth, they would be Morse Taper 1.

A chuck or face plate would ordinarily screw on to the male thread of the headstock spindle. A very few have only a shaft sticking out and the chuck adapter is slid on and held with a set screw. Not a good system, it is not strong and the screw can come loose and the chuck and timber can come off and hit you.

I would not buy a chuck immediately. Wait until you have turned for a while. You will then know you need a real lathe, or decide you do not want to pursue turning, and can buy a chuck big enough for the real lathe with an adapter that will mount the chuck on this one.

It would be good to get some time on a good lathe so that your borrowed one does not discourage you.

The lathe is lightly built but would do for small spindles.

Sturdee
8th March 2016, 02:18 PM
I have one like that except it's blue, different motor, and was labelled as a Record lathe and sold by WMS in Melbourne.

The lathe has a MT 1 in the head stock and has the standard Record lathe thread. From memory it has a fixed tail stock revolving centre. It came with a face plate which I passed on to Fly who has a record lathe as I converted this one as a dedicated buffing/polishing lathe.

Can't help you with a manual as I got mine for nothing from a forum member. :2tsup:

Peter.

Theodor
8th March 2016, 05:11 PM
Well I'm glad I asked. I had no idea about the centres being tapered. I'll check that tonight. I'm pretty certain they're smooth inside. There is a thread on the spindle for a chuck.

Now I've got more questions. They can wait till I get home.

Christos
9th March 2016, 03:39 PM
If your friend lent you this lathe to play with what is he still using? You might be able to visit him to get some experience on the turning tools.

maņana
9th March 2016, 09:12 PM
Theodor, PM me with your email address and I'll send you a Manual for similar lathe. Sears Craftmaster 113.2800. All much the same. They have a 3/4 inch 16tpi Spindle Thread - same as Record lathes.
Cheers
Mick C

Theodor
9th March 2016, 10:24 PM
Thanks for the offer Mick but I'm all good. Late last night I thought I'd do an image search rather than just the text thing. I found the lathe looks exactly like a Duracraft Wal 1236 or the Sears Craftmaster. I found a manual online already thanks.

I'm now trying to organise centres which will fit the spindle. I've taken a bolt off the spindle to confirm its size before I invest in a chuck. And yes, I believe it's 3/4-16tpi which I have never heard of before being a metric kid through and through.

Christos: my mate has a newer lathe he uses. I've had a little turning experience. I was learning the basics of turning over Christmas on my father-in-law's old Record. The unfinished rolling pin is still sitting in his lathe.

Here's a question: when you buy a chuck, do manufacturers have collects/connectors available for such sizes?

maņana
10th March 2016, 10:23 AM
Theodor, there are numerous accessories available for 3/4 inch 16 tpi Spindle size. As I said, this is the size of the Record/Coronet lathes. As well as most of the el cheapo Chinese lathes - the ones with the really light-weight RHS beds (GMC etc). The lathe has a No. 1 morse taper on the headstock, so there are spur drives available. When you buy a chuck you specify what your spindle size is and there will be a suitable adaptor to fit your lathe.
Cheers
Mick C