PDA

View Full Version : A Vase That Holds Water

turnerted
9th March 2016, 03:45 PM
G'day
I am sometimes asked by customers if they can put water in my vases and I have to explain that they are just for dried flowers .So I decided to make a couple that would hold water with the aid of inserts from Ikea .They are hollowed to about 180mm deep and the wood is camphor laurel .The finish is DO . Hollowing something with an entry this big is pretty easy also the pith was not included so there was little risk of splitting .
Comments welcome.
Ted

powderpost
9th March 2016, 06:27 PM
Good idea Ted, and well executed, :2tsup:. Couple of comments if I may. Have a look at Op shops for glass inserts, recycling is good. :) I would make the bottoms a bit bigger for stability. Similar shape to what you have but upside down. Don't think it is important for the wall thickness needs to be even, for this application.

Jim

smiife
9th March 2016, 07:26 PM
Hi ted,
I like that idea, just go down to the pub for the inserts:o
My only comment would be maybe make them so you
can, t see the glass, a little bit higher,,, or you could
always use a middi glass:U
Well done !

greyhound
10th March 2016, 10:07 AM
Hi ted,
I like that idea, just go down to the pub for the inserts:o
My only comment would be maybe make them so you
can, t see the glass, a little bit higher,,, or you could
always use a middi glass:U
Well done !
Yep agree what he said good idea

wheelinround
10th March 2016, 02:09 PM
Ted great idea.

I do have a friend who uses casting resin or epoxy to seal the inside the type bought from Carbatec. its fluid enough to swirl around he then blows up a balloon one of those used by clowns to make strange shapes out of to force the mix into the sidewalls I haven't tried it myself.

turnerted
10th March 2016, 04:40 PM
Thanks for the comments.
After taking the photographs,I went to put the insert in the second one and discovered the base was slightly bigger so had to glue a tennon on the bottom and take a bit bit more out of the inside to make it fit . Bummer.
I'll see if I get a buyer at club sales this weekend .
Ted

Christos
10th March 2016, 05:40 PM
I have tried this with a test tube(plastic) but it did not work out too well. It needs to be wider at the top as what you have come up with. One of our club member used to coat his vases with something, it made the vase waterproof. I think it was a poly that he would pour in and swirl around then pour off the excess.

turnerted
11th March 2016, 10:58 AM
Ray
Many years ago I repaired a leaky fuel tank in my 4WD with a latex solution that I just sloshed round the inside of the tank . It worked , but on my first long trip I unexpectingly ran out of fuel . I later found that I had also sealed the passageway in the baffle plate so in effect was only using half the tank .Fortunatly I was able to get my hand in the sender unit hole and open the hole in the baffle plate .
I suppose I could have waterproofed these vases in a similar way but it wouldn't look real good and I'me sure it would cost more than the $2 or so for the glass inserts cost .
Ted

wheelinround
11th March 2016, 03:48 PM
Ray
Many years ago I repaired a leaky fuel tank in my 4WD with a latex solution that I just sloshed round the inside of the tank . It worked , but on my first long trip I unexpectingly ran out of fuel . I later found that I had also sealed the passageway in the baffle plate so in effect was only using half the tank .Fortunatly I was able to get my hand in the sender unit hole and open the hole in the baffle plate .
I suppose I could have waterproofed these vases in a similar way but it wouldn't look real good and I'me sure it would cost more than the $2 or so for the glass inserts cost .
Ted

Ted I've heard similar before.

Nothing like cheap ideas that work best.

Simplicity
11th March 2016, 04:32 PM
Bathrooms and shower areas wet areas.
In houses are now water proofed with what we call tanking.
It looks like latex paint tho I'm not sure
The big green places sell it
It's flexible and brush paintable wash up in water
Down side it's generally pretty ugly
Last time I used it was bright blue
Or bright green
Plus to be economically I buy it in a twenty litter drum I think for around the $100/150 dollar mark
So properly not much help

John.G
12th March 2016, 10:04 PM
West system epoxy... It holds water out of strip plank boat hulls and done well it'll give a reasonable finish.

mind, all boats leak, it's merely a question about how fast.

turnerted
14th March 2016, 03:50 PM
Thanks for the replies.
Someone liked it because it sold within the first hour of the sale.
Ted

Sawdust Maker
14th March 2016, 05:30 PM
hey cool

now I've a use for all those schooner glasses I borrowed in my youth :rolleyes: