PDA

View Full Version : Drillwizard - good accessory to lathe

Lyle
10th March 2016, 01:02 PM
Any opinion good/bad/indifferent on this attatchment?

Oneway DrillWizard | Lathe Drilling Jig (http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/onewaydrillwizard.aspx)

Thanks
Lyle.

rtyuiop
10th March 2016, 03:47 PM
Not sure if it's any good, but I kind of want one! Shame it's not a 30mm toolpost.

Oneway is a good name in US turning circles I believe, if that makes a difference.

dai sensei
10th March 2016, 06:19 PM
I got some 50x50 timber and turned one end down to suit my tool post shaft. Then just drilled a hole through on the CL of the lathe. Same thing but used scrap and took 5 minutes

smiife
10th March 2016, 07:30 PM
Hi lyle,
Robert Sorby make one similar and is available
in australia, not sure where i got mine, jim carrol, s
I think! It doesn, t hold your drill body just the twist
drill itself , thru differant size holes, good for using
with an indexing system etc!

malb
14th March 2016, 07:13 PM
Not sure myself, haven't had anything to do with them, they may be a true quality product, but ultimately their usefulness will depend on the complete combination, mount and power drill. Unless you are willing to shell out for a quality drill unit to dedicate to the unit, you might find it not as good as you hoped because a lot of the power drills on the market or in use either have sloppy output shafts or ones that are not co linear with the mounting boss. Even if you obtain a decent drill, it needs to be dedicated because the wear and tear of general use will ultimately affect it's accuracy, drops or falls, rattling around in a tool box or bag etc will take their toll on the unit.