PDA

View Full Version : How do you store/display your turning tools?

chambezio
15th March 2016, 12:08 PM
I have been thinking of a better method of stowing my turning chisels above the lathe in a way that is tidy (looking) as well as being quick to pick and replace. At the moment I am using a wire rack that grips the chisels at their base where the steel comes out of the ferule.

I am not totally happy with this method so I am looking for better solutions

Don't ask where the P&N gouges are.........laying on the lathe bed where I last used them:B

pommyphil
15th March 2016, 02:14 PM
I recently added another rack above my old one. I used some fence panel, 2" mesh.

374372Because it's up high I can grab the bottom of the handle, lift 2inches and it slides out,easy.

Sawdust Maker
15th March 2016, 04:07 PM
I have mine on display in a glass cabinet in the hallway

oh ok I'll take a piccy of my two methods tomorrow

Actually here's a link (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/chisel-holders-132634)to one of my methods
I know there's a photo of the rack on the forums somewhere

Sawdust Maker
15th March 2016, 05:04 PM
Here's an old photo of my original rack
It's hinged so I can store stuff behind it

374390 374391 374392

I've since remade this so it is a bit taller and holds more chisels
but this gives the idea

Skew ChiDAMN!!
15th March 2016, 07:15 PM
Wall-mounted magnetised strips.

Ackershully, they're mounted to the fronts of the shelves above'n'behind the lathes (where I store my finishes & accessories) but it's the same principle.

Cliff Rogers
15th March 2016, 07:59 PM
Store?

Mine are on any flat surface.

I made a system of trays to go in a big metal trunk but it was a bugger to get to the one at the bottom so they ended up all over the place & there is stuff sitting on the trunk now.

hughie
15th March 2016, 08:41 PM
For along time it was a 20L plastic bucket. Now its most places like Cliff, although I do have a series of 50mm PVC pipes around three sides of my bench. But............. I have more tools than will fit in this system.
So I have come up with a new system its called 'random dispersal' it really works well. It does have one glitch in retrieval I havent quite perfected the random retrieval.

Bluegum
15th March 2016, 09:38 PM
Having young kids in and out of the shed I ended up buying a king chrome tool chest. I can lock it and keep little fingers away from sharp edges. Best thing is I can just open up the drawers and all my tools are there ready to use and secured at the end of the day.

powderpost
15th March 2016, 09:42 PM
Store?

Mine are on any flat surface.

I made a system of trays to go in a big metal trunk but it was a bugger to get to the one at the bottom so they ended up all over the place & there is stuff sitting on the trunk now.

I use the same system, except that I use a metal detector to find them in the shavings, just haven't been able to identify which tool is returning the signal. :wink:

Still haven't found a workable system yet, so I will watch this closely.

Jim

China
15th March 2016, 10:54 PM
What ever you decide don't store them above the lathe, makes it very hard to access while the lathe is spinning

Paul39
16th March 2016, 12:40 PM
What ever you decide don't store them above the lathe, makes it very hard to access while the lathe is spinning

Not to mention the possibility of getting your clothing wound up in the work piece.

I have magnetic strips bought, salvaged plywood panels accumulated, to make a shallow L shaped profile with the mag strips on a slant on the plywood. The handle of the tools would sit on the short L and the metal part stuck to the mag strip.

Meanwhile they are in a pile at the right side of the lathe.

pommyphil
16th March 2016, 12:40 PM
I find that 90+% of my turning I'm using only half the lathe, bowls and shortish spindle work, so with a step to the right I can safely reach 30odd handled tools.
When I turn longer stuff, legs, I just have a couple of tools under the bed. My lathe spindle is only 22inches from the wall so it's an easy reach.
I'm very happy with my setup but I guess it depends what you turn.374430 Phil.

wheelinround
16th March 2016, 02:00 PM
:doh: Like Hughie mine was in a 20lt and midi tools in a 10lt bucket I had enough of trying to sort through and space being taken up so I made a new box

(http://woolnwood.blogspot.com.au/2016/02/turnig-tools-and-storage-box.html)Its much tidier and easier still more to do to it yet, more tubes and fixing them into rows.

smiife
27th March 2016, 06:48 PM
Hi rod,
I was a lucky boy last xmas ,,, got one of these!!

chambezio
27th March 2016, 07:32 PM
I would like to thank you all for your suggestions, as Powderpost has touched on.......the situation may never be "perfect" because some one will have some thing better so we will be forever changing the method of storage

Old Croc
27th March 2016, 09:48 PM
Still haven't found a workable system yet, so I will watch this closely.

Jim
I can't do a photo, so I will have to describe my set up I copied off someone else.
Started with a 5 wheel base from an old office chair and fitted a 600mm timber column into the bases taper. Added 2 X 400 mm circles of 32 mm waterproof chip board. 1st one fixed to base column, 2nd one joined to it with lazy susan bearing. Bored 30 mm recess's into topside with forstner bit for handles to fit into. Added top column, approx 400mm high with a 300 mm circle fixed to the top of the column. Cut slots into the top circle to suit each of the chisels and glued a small flat magnet into each slot.
Now have a tool carousel that is movable and spins easily to select each tool. It holds about 20 chisels and I have found it one of the best ideas I have ever copied.
If the description is not good enough, the daughter may upload a photo for me.
Rgds,
Crocy.

Mobyturns
29th March 2016, 08:48 AM
Like many turners I have my bad habits but I tend to try and stay organized. Any flat surface is fair game!

So I use a range of options. Having been trained by my father to respect tools and the edges on them I started off using a traditional chippies tool box with a series of racks like these.

Nice for protecting edges but like Cliff I found getting that not very often used tool on the bottom rack tiresome. So I have graduated to a mobile tool chest with the same racks in each drawer. However I have the eternal wood turners problem - its never big enough for all the tools. :D

As others have said I like using the bed ways to keep tools at hand so one of the racks is designed with a strip of timber on the back so it is a firm press fit into the gap in the bed ways. I don't use magnets due to potential hazards with my defibrillator.

Old Croc
30th March 2016, 08:00 PM
:D
I don't use magnets due to potential hazards with my defibrillator.
Well that's buggered you ever getting a tour of my shop. There's 7 banister brushes, 4 drill press chuck keys and the woodlathe chuck key and centre drill all secured by hard drive magnets and about 30 or 40 spare hard drive magnets hanging off one of the drill presses.:oo:
Rgds,
Crocy.

Jeff Leslie
30th March 2016, 08:15 PM
I can't do a photo, so I will have to describe my set up I copied off someone else.
Started with a 5 wheel base from an old office chair and fitted a 600mm timber column into the bases taper. Added 2 X 400 mm circles of 32 mm waterproof chip board. 1st one fixed to base column, 2nd one joined to it with lazy susan bearing. Bored 30 mm recess's into topside with forstner bit for handles to fit into. Added top column, approx 400mm high with a 300 mm circle fixed to the top of the column. Cut slots into the top circle to suit each of the chisels and glued a small flat magnet into each slot.
Now have a tool carousel that is movable and spins easily to select each tool. It holds about 20 chisels and I have found it one of the best ideas I have ever copied.
If the description is not good enough, the daughter may upload a photo for me.
Rgds,
Crocy.

Crocy, what happens when you have more than 20 chisels? I have at least 5 skews from 12mm to 32mm. No exact idea about bowl and spindle gouges but we are talking in the dozens. When a few of my mates come out, I can be sharpening 10 and 12mm Vicmarc bowl gouges (I have 3 of each) all day long. Plus a good many scrapers for when needed. Storing 100+ big chisels is a real challenge.

Old Croc
30th March 2016, 09:01 PM
Crocy, what happens when you have more than 20 chisels? I have at least 5 skews from 12mm to 32mm. No exact idea about bowl and spindle gouges but we are talking in the dozens. When a few of my mates come out, I can be sharpening 10 and 12mm Vicmarc bowl gouges (I have 3 of each) all day long. Plus a good many scrapers for when needed. Storing 100+ big chisels is a real challenge.
Jeff, I can't give a definitive answer to that. I only have a 1/4 inch, 3/8, 1/2 inch bowl gouges and one lonely 1/4 inch spindle gouge. I have managed to do all my turning since 1988 with these.
The daughter is coming over tomorrow evening, so I will try to upload a photo then.
Rgds,
Crocy.

Jeff Leslie
30th March 2016, 09:19 PM
Crocy, thanks for being so frank. The old saying is that the tools do not make the man. I agree entirely with that sentiment.

That said, I (and a world-class turner) have found that a certain breed of US carbide tools work when conventional tools/methods fail. In the result, that meant another 5 chisels. I had some bird's eye redgum and some other woods that declined to cooperate. (And I more want a good finish off the tool rather than revert to sandpaper!)

From what you say, I imagine that you do more faceplate work rather than between centres. No worries, but even with faceplate work, I do like my spindle gouges (against the law). An interesting discussion, please do not castigate me unless I am on the wrong tram!

Mobyturns
30th March 2016, 10:32 PM
From what you say, I imagine that you do more faceplate work rather than between centres. No worries, but even with faceplate work, I do like my spindle gouges (against the law). An interesting discussion, please do not castigate me unless I am on the wrong tram!

Jeff you have to see some of Crocy's large platters & bowls. Not only is the wood about the best you can source but the finish is pretty top notch as well.

NeilS
30th March 2016, 11:20 PM
Here is an old thread on the topic (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/tool-holding-system-97995?highlight=tool) started by Brendan Stemp, but some of the ideas may be new to some on the forum.

My initial system is at post #26 in the above thread, like Old Croc's, the rack spins like a lazy susan. It is still in use and I'm unlikey to dispense with it.

Later I added this to the side for long handled tools:

And for the tools I'm using at the lathe I have immediately next to me this arrangement:

375641 375642

When I'm turning inboard I put the tray in the outboard toolpost and when turning outboard (which is most of the time) it goes in the toolpost on the lathe bed.

Jeff Leslie
31st March 2016, 06:58 AM
Jeff you have to see some of Crocy's large platters & bowls. Not only is the wood about the best you can source but the finish is pretty top notch as well.

Geoff, we might have to arrange a mutual swap with Crocy. Wood at least! As we all know, good tool work doesn't come from just owning them. Skew's work, like Crocy's, is another classic case of doing very well with very little.

Christos
31st March 2016, 09:29 AM
....... Storing 100+ big chisels is a real challenge.

I am still trying to get my head around the number of chisels you have. I am thinking this happen over a long period. :rolleyes:

Jeff Leslie
31st March 2016, 09:58 AM
I am still trying to get my head around the number of chisels you have. I am thinking this happen over a long period. :rolleyes:

Some time indeed - started collecting in 2006. Stopped smoking a packet a day and rewarded myself with some decent chisels.

wheelinround
31st March 2016, 11:00 AM

:B yep

Mobyturns
31st March 2016, 07:54 PM

Don't ask about how many lathes he has :D

Jeff Leslie
31st March 2016, 08:29 PM
Don't ask about how many lathes he has :D

You are a cheeky lot. Yes, I did over-invest with my woodturning (just a tad), but I am pleased to tell you all that I am now down to three lathes. I sold my Vicmarc VL175 and now have only the LB VL300, a VL150 plus the S750 Stubby.

What I really need is another table/panel saw as I only have 3.

I do know that normal, more skilled/intelligent people than me can and do more/better than me. But, as a case in point, my good friend Paul always borrows my set of Frontline clamps when doing a big glue up on a table top.

It is HARD not to get addicted to woodturning. I just got the bug. So when I saw the VL150, I got rid of the VL100.

And when I have the "crew" out on my 9 acres, I want to be sharpening gouges/ scrapers etc in batches, preferably at least 3 a time. No stress which is very important to me. Please don't hold that against me. I sold all my guns and boat for serious $ so my collections is just a replacement.

Sawdust Maker
31st March 2016, 09:22 PM
And when I have the "crew" out on my 9 acres, I want to be sharpening gouges/ scrapers etc in batches, preferably at least 3 a time. No stress which is very important to me. Please don't hold that against me. I sold all my guns and boat for serious $ so my collections is just a replacement.

Yep good point - when the jig's setup it's better to do a run of the same - more efficient use of time!

powderpost
31st March 2016, 10:18 PM
What I really need is another table/panel saw as I only have 3.

Jeff, you can't have two many machines. I am trying to find some room for a second saw bench.

Jim

Jeff Leslie
31st March 2016, 11:08 PM
Jeff, you can't have two many machines. I am trying to find some room for a second saw bench.

Jim

Jim, the wife's phone number is xxxxx. (no, mine is 0428484859) Give me a call and I'll quickly hand her over. Please. Plead my case!!

nz_carver
1st April 2016, 10:53 AM
So over the last 3 yrs Iv stopped posting but this one got my eye

its 4 questions really

how to you store your tools (see rack in pick)

there are turners out there and even on this thread whohave large numbers off tools and fell they need them and good luck to them.

But it's one thing to have the tools but to use the tool is a different story.

After doing my time and working under a Real wood turner he's now retired.
it was a sad day.

im still turning.
yes I use every tool
yes the number is rite

Renmbember 5 things

1.There is no tool out there that will make you a better woodturner.
4. Remember who showed you the ways of the wood.
3. Practice
4. There is a lot of knowledge out there you will never know it all.
5. Be humble.

oh number of tools well
theres around 170 in the pics
aroud 50 that are in another toolbox
and 4 in the mail so total of

sorry Jeff long way to go buddy.

Pics to come

Jeff Leslie
1st April 2016, 09:54 PM
Dave, you forgot to remind us that you drive a VL240!

nz_carver
1st April 2016, 10:56 PM
Vl240
Woodfast 305x
Omga stubby custom
Soon a vl300 long bed

Acco
1st April 2016, 11:19 PM
Vl240
Woodfast 305x
Omga stubby custom
Soon a vl300 long bed

Going by that list, I take it that you've moved since I was there a few yrs ago.

Jeff Leslie
1st April 2016, 11:26 PM
Vl240
Woodfast 305x
Omga stubby custom
Soon a vl300 long bed

Dave, I love this kind of pissing contest.

A 25m x 9m shed. Two firewood heaters either end . Big evap on the roof. Two table saws (one, the big Sawstop), a Minimax 300 Smart combo, a Woodwizz, 3 router tables, 2 Tormeks, 2 cyclones..... ect, ect...

All on 9 acres..... Nice and quiet.

Good luck acquiring a log bed VL300. Best lathe ever made.

And you are right about using the tools. I am yet to master a chatter tool, the Sorby spiral tool and a round hook tool (I don't have one).

And sometimes you cannot acknowledge all of those involved with your turning adventure. PC. That doesn't change things in the memory overmuch.

What I would like to see is what tools you have that I am missing!!!!!

Midnight Man
2nd April 2016, 12:26 AM
Whilst I think the position of this rack is not the safest I've ever seen, I like the method and design of the rack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=bmQRlLNK7Cc#t=128

I've purposely copied the link at the time the rack is covered, the author is making a tour of their workshop.

Mobyturns
2nd April 2016, 05:07 AM
Dave, I love this kind of pissing contest.

What I would like to see is what tools you have that I am missing!!!!!

Jeff you must have one of these VeritasĀ® Precision Rotary Tool Holder - Lee Valley Tools (http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=74250)

CAG
2nd April 2016, 06:32 PM
When I turn longer stuff, legs, I just have a couple of tools under the bed.

And you keep the really good tools under your pillow?

Old Croc
11th April 2016, 10:17 PM
Hi guys, sorry to take so long to reply to this thread. Here are the photos of the tool carousel that I copied.
1st photo is where it normally lives adjacent to the headstock, but i pull it along to the other end when doing really big work ( the Laguna has a sliding headstock) or long work.
2nd photo is how the tools are arranged.
3rd photo is a close up of the extension for the shorter tools.
Why did I choose this design? I like to recognize the tool I want to use by the cutting tip, not the handle. I can spin it around easily to select each tool as required. Not saying its the only storage I have, cause all the hollowing tools, the spiral cutter and some odds and sods live on the top shelf. This holds the selection that lets me do 95% of my daily turnings.
Jeff and others from previous posts, I have managed to get away with these limited selections to do all my spindle work, mainly use the Skew, 10MM Beading and Parting tool and the little Spindle gouge. I have a large Long and Strong Spindle Gouge, but prefer the little one.
rgds,
Crocy.

dougturner
14th April 2016, 10:38 PM
I am a bit late with this response, but here goes. I have a bad feeling when I see blokes reach across their lathe to grab a chisel from their wall mounted collection, especially if the lathe is running! The attached photos show my arrangement, and while it won't suit everyone, I feel quite comfortable and safe when choosing chisels. Not all my chisels are stored in the rack shown, as they are on a rack on the wall on the opposite side of my shed, only 2.5 metres away. The photos show the tools I use the most, and the collection is pretty much the same all the time. 376818376819376820First photo is a general view of where they are. Second photo shows where they sit , in short pieces of PVC electrical conduit. The conduit has a clearance hole in the "back" for the screwdriver and a screw clearance hole in the "front" to fix the conduit to the black 50mm x 20mm piece of timber across the front. I can identify my tools from the top, as the Roughing Gouge and Detail Gouges have an upholstery nail in the top of the handles, and after using this method for maybe 25 years, I just move left or right, as I know where each tool is located. Bowl gouges to the right, and skews etc to the left. The trick of course is to mount the conduit pieces on the black piece before fixing the black piece to the lathe stand. The third photo just shows my peg board layout, and most of the gear on the peg board is only needed when the lathe is stopped. The odd shaped blank on the lathe bed is my last piece of Tulip Wood that Willy Nelson gave me back in about 1992.