PDA

View Full Version : Nova Mercury Bed Extension - door stop or not

camoz
16th March 2016, 05:52 PM
Hi all,

Picked up some lathe's the other day, and the place was being rented out, so the guy said have a look around, what you don't take, will go in the bin skip, everyone else in this group purchase had long since headed back to Queensland and Sydney. There was an original box with a Nova Mercury bed extension in it (new old stock, as the mounting screws are still sealed in the bag). My initial thought was you don't have a Nova Mercury lathe, so what do you need a bed extension for, but then I started looking at it as a clamping jig, and pretty soon I could think of a few ways to repurpose it in the shop.

Worried about the machinery gods striking me down:U, I decided to do some research first.

I found this manual online

http://www.teknatool.com/products/lathes/mercury/downloads/Mercury%2012HP%20Manual_14%20October%202003.pdf

and the part number matches what is on the box and assembly instructions, so this is clearly the lathe it is for. At the website the extension is listed as an accessory, but the link takes you nowhere.

I have had my fair share of frustration knowing I am unlikely to find a part for an old machine I am restoring (especially knowing it is likely sitting in some persons shed, or has been turned into spoons), so before I make it something else, I thought I should ask, is this thing going to be missed??

Cheers,

Camo

BamBam53
16th March 2016, 07:38 PM
I bought a second hand Nova Mercury before Christmas. They are a great little lathe. Mine already has the bed extension on it, otherwise I would have been interested.

Why not put it in the market place for a while? If no one is interested you can re-purpose it with a clear conscience.

Michael

wheelinround
16th March 2016, 10:39 PM
I wonder if it would fit other mini lathes? I have a Jet also have the ext bed used 3 or 4 times then I got the Nova 3000 1100 between centres.

The ext bed is destined for other use if I also do not sell it.

Mobyturns
16th March 2016, 11:53 PM
I also have a Nova Mercury with bed extension, very handy! Not sure that there will be much demand for the bed extension as the Mercury's have been discontinued for a long while now.

camoz
17th March 2016, 10:42 AM
Not sure that there will be much demand for the bed extension as the Mercury's have been discontinued for a long while now.

I was thinking the same, but then my stenner table saw is over 60 years old and I am always searching for certain accessories. My biggest unknown, was if it was a throw away machine (meaning none would still be functioning). Given 2 people do have one, I should probably do as Michael suggested and put it up in the market place (although I do really want to add it to my drill press accessories as a hold down jig:U).

i will list it tonight if I get a chance

Mobyturns
23rd March 2016, 08:38 PM
I was thinking the same, but then my stenner table saw is over 60 years old and I am always searching for certain accessories. My biggest unknown, was if it was a throw away machine (meaning none would still be functioning). Given 2 people do have one, I should probably do as Michael suggested and put it up in the market place (although I do really want to add it to my drill press accessories as a hold down jig:U).

i will list it tonight if I get a chance

Mine is still going after a heart transplant - a new motor & drive from SE QLD Woodworking Supplies.