PDA

View Full Version : My First Lathe

Pages : [1] 2

Dirk_Pittwater
19th March 2016, 09:30 PM
So the story starts off as a young boy who has been around the carpentry and cabinetmaking industry from the word go.

Grew up loving and working with timber in my hands in dads workshop and every opportunity I was in there helping or trying to make something.

Skip a few years and I was finishing school at 16 and onto my apprenticeship. This is when I started to go to woodworking shows and what not as part of the family business. At theses shows is where I would see all these tools and machinery that I knew later down the track I would be purchasing and using on a daily basis.
The lathe was never a machine that we would use as an income producer in the business so I always overlooked it but thought it was a neat thing to have a go at one day knowing I would enjoy it.

Skip another 9 years to a Dooen gtg (my first forum gtg) and to finally meet some ladies and gents that are apart of this wonderful forum.
The wonderful host Dave, also a good friend saw how keen I was to use a lathe. We all know he has a few. So he was kind enough to give me a lesson on his awsome setups. Then there were all the other gents that we're giving me tips and tricks and letting me use their chisels and the wonderful demonstrations. I was definitely hooked.
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160319/463612712ebb9207c1fdedd9e30087b6.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160319/f3e8943dc09c437485ae09fd82c4c145.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160319/7f5979838f69b899e77aa0caf34706e1.jpg
All that info that was passed around at the gtg was amazing. From chisels to lathe's, to experiences and different chucks and things you can turn. There were some lovely samples aswell.

So from that weekend on I've been talking to various people. Researching various lathe's, chucks, tools and projects to start on as soon as I make all this happen.

That leads us to another fabulous gtg hosted by Fletty a couple of weeks ago based on sharpening systems. I was extremely excited as Dave had brought my sorby chisels that he had acquired for me up from vic and I had the chance to learn how people sharpened them including how a professional turner sharpens his very own.
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160319/c56f04f3f42b8a9a19ee85607b57ed4e.jpg
That was another fabulous gtg done and a whole lot of knowledge that I had gained.

So I'm hooked on turning, I've got the chisels needed to start, I've got the knowledge on how to sharpen them and I've ordered the jigs for my tormek. Now I need a lathe and some chucks and I'll be in business. (I have enough timber at work to practice on)

Onto tonight's escapade.

Late this afternoon I got a message from Dave. It was a link to a forum post in the auction section. Next thing I know, I own a Vicmarc VL175.
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160319/158caaaf4d7585f301048e0733b2af11.jpg
Now to pick that up and then I'm almost ready to start turning.
To say I'm excited would be an understatement.

Thanks to all of the gents that have helped me along the way and showed me the ropes. No doubt I'll be learning a heap more off you and many others.

I will be adding pics and comments here as I progress. So keep an eye out for things to come.

Cheers to an exciting new skill I'm eager to pursue.
Dirk.

Simplicity
19th March 2016, 09:44 PM
Awesome Dirk
Fantastic write up
Will you be showing your dad how to finish is little egg soon

Uncle Al
20th March 2016, 08:19 AM
Gees, you have gone in boots and all! That is a fabulous lathe and a good selection of tools which many turners would be envious of.

The journey has well and truly begun, may it be a safe and exciting one.

Alan...

Sawdust Maker
20th March 2016, 08:55 AM
nice pickup
are you going to look at Ern's tools as well?

PS
and I'm particularly impressed that your chisel number has already outgrown the chisel rack!

Dirk_Pittwater
20th March 2016, 09:04 AM
nice pickup
are you going to look at Ern's tools as well?

PS
and I'm particularly impressed that your chisel number has already outgrown the chisel rack!

Going to have a look to see if there's anything I may need or want in Ern's tool and chuck collection.

Thats a pic from the seller that I got sent. I'm yet to make a rack. Thinking of something like that but all on 1 row. I'm going to wait till I start turning to see how I use the tools and design it from there.

Dirk_Pittwater
20th March 2016, 09:08 AM
Awesome Dirk
Fantastic write up
Will you be showing your dad how to finish is little egg soon
Don't know if I'll be showing him how to do it but he can certainly use my lathe.
I think I can trust him enough.

Gees, you have gone in boots and all! That is a fabulous lathe and a good selection of tools which many turners would be envious of.

The journey has well and truly begun, may it be a safe and exciting one.

Alan...

Thanks Al.
I will be keen to bounce ideas and how to do things of all you experienced turners.

DaveTTC
20th March 2016, 09:30 AM
Great write up Dirk. I'll be flowering this with interest and hope you keep adding to this for many many years. My first lathe was blue too.

Most of my first chisels were Sorby though i lacked the benefit of gtg's and mentors. I truly envy your youthful start. I'm sure you will go from strength to strength

Dave TTC
Turning Wood Into Art

Big Shed
20th March 2016, 10:12 AM
.......... I'll be flowering this with interest..........

Dave TTC
Turning Wood Into Art

Really?:rolleyes:

DaveTTC
20th March 2016, 10:20 AM
Really?:rolleyes:
Dont get any ideas. When it says turning cowboy we're not talking 'broke back'

To edit or not to edit .... that is the question

Dave TTC
Turning Wood Into Art

Big Shed
20th March 2016, 10:36 AM
Dont get any ideas. When it says turning cowboy we're not talking 'broke back'

To edit or not to edit .... that is the question

Dave TTC
Turning Wood Into Art

That may be the question, but turning off auto correct may be the answer.:p

Christos
20th March 2016, 11:01 AM
Well done on your first lathe.

I should add that after you have received the initial guidance on using the tools at the GTG at Dave place. And now that you have a lathe you should practice with the tools.

Don't worry too much about making something practical but more about knowing what the tool will do.

Pat
20th March 2016, 02:53 PM
Dirk, get whet ever you can out of Ern, he has the best toys and is a reasonable bloke about it too.

Practice pieces, learn spindle turning first, tool presentation and how to manipulate the tool to give a good finish is a start.

You are welcome to wander down the coast for "mucking around" with lathes and Tormek gear.

Sawdust Maker
20th March 2016, 06:47 PM
Dirk, get whet ever you can out of Ern, he has the best toys and is a reasonable bloke about it too.

Practice pieces, learn spindle turning first, tool presentation and how to manipulate the tool to give a good finish is a start.

You are welcome to wander down the coast for "mucking around" with lathes and Tormek gear.

I agree with the spindle bit

and you're welcome over this way as well - but Pat's probably betterer at it than me

Treecycle
23rd March 2016, 02:02 PM
Well done Dirk, that is a great lathe. So many people say start with a Vicmarc, but not everyone can afford it when starting out.
I am sure you will impress us with your brilliance as you seem to be able to take to turning like a duck to water.
Looking forward to your journey.

Dirk_Pittwater
2nd April 2016, 07:21 PM
Thanks everyone for all the kind words and all those willing to help.

Here's an update on what's been happening.

Ern tempted me with all his other gear, my play money can only go so far so I decided on getting the vicmarc vm100 chuck and all the jaws to go with it also got longworth chuck and a 150mm faceplate.
I think that should do me for awhile.

Yesterday the tormek 186 jig and profiled leather wheels were delivered and I started to sharpen a bowl gouge (I think). Woohoo!

Question for all those with tormek sharpening system.

What grinds do you recommend? And what do you use them for?

I'm looking at all my chisels aswell as looking at the tormek book and I dont know what profile to choose for each chisel?
Note I have 2 bowl gouges that are identical that I will put different profiles on each and another 2 that one is a shallow flute and the other is deep. Any idea what to do with these?

Some of these chisels have been really roughly ground and can't follow what they are hence why I'm asking.

Also whats the difference between a bowl gouge and a spindle gouge? They look the same to me.

Sorry if these questions seem really simple...I really jumped into the deep end like I always do. Its the fastest way I learn haha

Cheers
Dirk.

Pat
2nd April 2016, 08:10 PM
Dirk, for the bowl gouges, the 65mm projection on setting no 2 is the more user friendly/ learner friendly grind. Write the recipe on the little tag and stick the tag to the tool.

Bowl gouges generally have a deeper flute than spindle gouges. Roughly it's bowl gouges with a flute of 2/3rds thickness of the gouge, Spindle gouge 1/2 and Detail gouges the flute 1/4 of the thickness of the gouge.

For me I have most of my bowl gouges at 55mm/2, an aggressive grind. The finishing gouges are 65/2, except for the Ellsworth at 75mm/6 and the Glasser at 75/4.

Spindle gouges are at 65/2 or 75/2. Even my 36mm and 41mm traditional gouges are at 65/2 as I find this works the best for me.

For the roughly ground gouges, reshape them on a high speed grinder, unless you have time to burn, as it can take hours to regrind on a Torment. (Don't ask me how I know this :) )

Have fun and stay safe.

Sharpening is a function of turning, not the reason for turning.

Simplicity
2nd April 2016, 08:18 PM
Dirk ,
In a nut shell a bowl gouge is used for turning bowls or across the face of the work.
Docent have to be a bowl.
Like the bowl I was turning at Dave's gtg .
A spindle gouge you use working a long the length of the lathe.
I think your dad was using a spindle gouge when he was turning his egg.
There are no dumb questions period.
Bring your weapons to the saw class .
There will be 2.2 turners in attending .
(I'm the .2 one)

Matt

Bushmiller
2nd April 2016, 08:24 PM
Hell Dirk

When I saw that first pic I was going to warn you that you are standing too close to the Cowboy: Too late. The downward spiral has commenced. Somebody commented you went in boots an' all. I would suggest you have jumped into the Challenger Deep!

That lathe is an absolute beauty. You have done extremely well. Don't let Pete get his hands on it. You won't get it back: At least if I was in that position you wouldn't be getting too much lathe time :rolleyes: .

Come to think of it, I have my son's lathe in my custody for the moment, but it is not a top of the line Vicmark. I might have to have a word with him about up grading.

Enjoy!

Regards
Paul

NCArcher
2nd April 2016, 08:52 PM
Dirk, do you have a dry grinder, with a CBN or Alox wheel?
You can set up the Tormek BGM-100 to use the Tormek jigs on the dry grinder. Makes reshaping very simple, accurate and fast. You can go straight from the grinder to the Tormek without removing the tool from the jig.

Sharpening Woodturning Tools on Bench Grinders (http://www.tormek.com/en/accessories/bgm100/)

Sawdust Maker
2nd April 2016, 09:22 PM
If you want to do your rough grinding on a sparky - I've got mine set up to use the tormek jigs etc

Dirk_Pittwater
2nd April 2016, 11:12 PM
Dirk, for the bowl gouges, the 65mm projection on setting no 2 is the more user friendly/ learner friendly grind. Write the recipe on the little tag and stick the tag to the tool.

Bowl gouges generally have a deeper flute than spindle gouges. Roughly it's bowl gouges with a flute of 2/3rds thickness of the gouge, Spindle gouge 1/2 and Detail gouges the flute 1/4 of the thickness of the gouge.

For me I have most of my bowl gouges at 55mm/2, an aggressive grind. The finishing gouges are 65/2, except for the Ellsworth at 75mm/6 and the Glasser at 75/4.

Spindle gouges are at 65/2 or 75/2. Even my 36mm and 41mm traditional gouges are at 65/2 as I find this works the best for me.

For the roughly ground gouges, reshape them on a high speed grinder, unless you have time to burn, as it can take hours to regrind on a Torment. (Don't ask me how I know this :) )

Have fun and stay safe.

Sharpening is a function of turning, not the reason for turning.

Awesome, thanks Pat that's a big help.

Matt I might not bring any down this time as I got to pick up my lathe and dads bringing a fair few saw's. I will ask you guys a few questions though.

Paul, I should have never started asking Dave questions about the lathe's he has. It was all downhill from that day.
Dads not allowed to touch it haha

That's my next purchase a decent dry grinder with the BMG-100 and maybe a CBN wheel if I can con dad into it being used for sharpening work tools as well.
Anyone know what the best dry grinder that we can get in Aus?

You guys are such a great source of information. Thank you all.

Cheers
Dirk.

Pat
3rd April 2016, 05:37 AM
Abbott & Ashby (http://www.totaltools.com.au/abbott-ashby-utility-bench-grinder-atbgu8/)

Christos
3rd April 2016, 07:07 AM
If you want to do your rough grinding on a sparky - I've got mine set up to use the tormek jigs etc

Very helpful fellow as I seem to visit him when I need to regrind the profile on my turning tools. :2tsup:

Oddy
3rd April 2016, 08:52 AM

I'm very happy with my Metabo DS200. It is quiet and runs silky smooth - but throw away the wheels that come with it and replace the tool rests. I replaced the tool rests with the Tormek bar for dry grinders.
https://sydneytools.com.au/metabo-ds200-bench-grinder
Sharpening Woodturning Tools on Bench Grinders (http://www.tormek.com/en/accessories/bgm100/)

Big Shed
3rd April 2016, 09:26 AM
If I was to buy a dry grinder I would buy this one

Vicmarc P00319 Grinder, Bench Slow Speed - 1475 RPM P00319 (http://www.timberbits.com/vicmarc-grinder-bench-slow-speed-1475-rpm-p00319.html)

I already have 3 dry grinders so I'll control myself:D

I would also get at least one of these (I made my own)

Tormek BGM-100 Benchgrinder Mounting Set (http://www.timberbits.com/tormek-bgm-100-benchgrinder-mounting-set)

Treecycle
3rd April 2016, 09:27 AM
You might want to have a look through this (http://www.cwsonline.com.au/shop/category/vicmarc-grinder--cbn-wheels) page too. It covers your wheels and grinder.

Woodturnerjosh
3rd April 2016, 10:28 AM

A Brobo Waldown would probably be the best dry grinder ($$$) the green Abbot and Ashby are really good too but the Vicmarc Slow speed grinder is the one to get if you want it for sharpening.

Blarney
3rd April 2016, 12:23 PM
http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/grinders-post-147077?highlight=grinder

DaveTTC
4th April 2016, 07:32 AM
I was at a turning workshop on the weekend and was bitterly dissappointed with the vicmarc slow grinder. It got a reasonable usage but by no means flat it out. The thing got so hot you not test your hand on the top.

Not sure what brand mine is. Just a garage sale cheapy. Well it was $50 abiut 10 years ago. I have never noticed it get hot.

Would like to know if others have had the vicmarc get hot. The one in question I believe had new bearings fitted by vicmarc do to the issue and still gets hot. Given there is not much load and especially when running CBN wheels this just does not seem right to me.

Dave TTC
Turning Wood Into Art

Sawdust Maker
4th April 2016, 10:29 AM
I've got the Abbot & Ashby Industrial 8"

I've also an Abbot & Ashby 6" which I've had since about 1980 - never missed a beat

Woodturnerjosh
4th April 2016, 08:53 PM
I was at a turning workshop on the weekend and was bitterly dissappointed with the vicmarc slow grinder. It got a reasonable usage but by no means flat it out. The thing got so hot you not test your hand on the top.

Not sure what brand mine is. Just a garage sale cheapy. Well it was $50 abiut 10 years ago. I have never noticed it get hot.

Would like to know if others have had the vicmarc get hot. The one in question I believe had new bearings fitted by vicmarc do to the issue and still gets hot. Given there is not much load and especially when running CBN wheels this just does not seem right to me.

Dave TTC
Turning Wood Into Art

Mine gets really hot too and apparently the Axminster version also gets really hot. I've had hit running non-stop on a couple of projects and it doesn't effect it. As there are no cooling fins and no air flow (I had Makita grinder that had air vents and internal fans for cooling) it's going to heat up but unless it gets over 150 degrees (that's the temp that motors are baked out to during overhaul and for the varnish to set) it shouldn't hurt it.

crowie
4th April 2016, 09:39 PM
Well done Dirk, You mentioned your play money was limited...Sell the boat son, you can always buy a bigger one later.... Enjoy the new lathe and always ensure it's fun and not a chore....Cheers, Peter

Mobyturns
5th April 2016, 07:58 AM
Have fun and stay safe. Sharpening is a function of turning, not the reason for turning.

:D Tool collecting is the reason for wood turning. :rolleyes:

Dirk is off to a great start ..... on that long slippery slope.

Dirk_Pittwater
5th April 2016, 10:29 AM
Well done Dirk, You mentioned your play money was limited...Sell the boat son, you can always buy a bigger one later.... Enjoy the new lathe and always ensure it's fun and not a chore....Cheers, Peter
No, can't sell the boat. Life's a race to see who gets the most toys isn't it ;)

I'll just have to use the lathe to do a couple of cash projects to pay for more toys.

I've also noticed my toy's seem to get bigger the older I get. The scary thing is I'll have to start looking for property soon. Then I won't be buying any toys for a few years after that

Christos
5th April 2016, 11:03 AM
No, can't sell the boat. Life's a race to see who gets the most toys isn't it........

No grasshopper it's not..... :innocent:

Bushmiller
5th April 2016, 12:30 PM

I've also noticed my toy's seem to get bigger the older I get.

Dirk

You may well have heard that boys never grow up and it is an argument that is well founded. It is frequently touted about by the female of the species without due regard to what sensitive creatures we are and how easily we are offended. Fortunately there is an incontrovertible indicator in that the toys not only get bigger, but significantly, more expensive.

Welcome to beginning of a new age, for you that is :) .

Regards
Paul

Pat
5th April 2016, 06:20 PM
"The scary thing is I'll have to start looking for property soon. Then I won't be buying any toys for a few years after that"

Good, you can join the rest of us broke beings :q

Dirk_Pittwater
5th April 2016, 09:01 PM
Update from this afternoons efforts.

Sharpened some more spindle and bowl gouges so there ready to go when I get the lathe in the next few weeks.
The wait is killing me!
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160405/fa609d3fd54812212d1dcdbbf18bf084.jpg
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160405/a105da903ab20db25ccdfe2b90d87ba3.jpg

Next thing on the list was to have a look at the ("sh*t" acording to the guys that worked for us) grinder we have.
Every time I used it the only thing that I could pick wrong was you had to spin the wheel alittle every now and then to get it going. Noone had bothered to do anything about it so it just got shoved in the corner.
This is when I bought the tormek system for myself.

So after rubbing the WARNING wear saftey glasses sticker off there was the golden ticket.
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160405/70868538a0baecf5f987d909f7e0fe23.jpg

You beauty. It still has the original wheels that came with it.http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160405/1d5f8e905c467e67e5e9db138953d7a4.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160405/a063079f090c6a349cd840ca46b97bc7.jpg
That means I HAVE to upgrade to 2 cbn wheels.

So I thought if I'm going to get the cbn wheels I can't leave it in this filthy state so it was time to break it down.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160405/0b33007e7a72e4e06c70f14e53d228af.jpg

Time flys when your having fun. Dinner was calling so the cleanup process will begin again tomorrow afternoon and I will need to get a new capacitor as I think thats the problem with startup.

Thanks to all your input and turns out Dad made a good investment all those many years ago. Good to know that they were built to last.
Just out of curiosity can anyone put a date to this grinder?
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160405/72fbde748479b8dfeb00013d200211a4.jpg

Cheers
Dirk.

Pittwater Pete
9th April 2016, 11:13 AM
Dirk & I are at Resser (Earn's down in Melbourne) picking up Dirks new Vicmark lathe. Earn has been a real champion and is giving Dirk some valuable lessons. Thanks Earn.
Here's a few pics.
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160408/e56df1ee29d1e0a8e520166b5321c2d9.jpg
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160408/bae1a9a0df580d91d766bba552ce84ad.jpg
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160408/df05a0ead6d3e28f9284a1652fa441d2.jpg

Pittwater Pete
9th April 2016, 11:55 AM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160408/81374f44f16859bd0df823b1ef4966f3.jpg

Pittwater Pete
9th April 2016, 11:57 AM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160408/f57ec396322a8afb842313da260d4533.jpg
Turning some Norfolk Island Pine

Bushmiller
9th April 2016, 12:59 PM
Is Ern included with the lathe purchase?

Regards
Paul

chambezio
9th April 2016, 01:15 PM
I'm sorry but that's not Earn!!! Earn is a tall, thin 6'3" fellow with fair hair and no beard!!

Well that's the picture I have in my mind when I read his comments. It's always interesting to meet up with someone you have been conversing with for a while and not physically seeing them. I am usually wrong with my mental pictures

rsser
9th April 2016, 01:54 PM
It was a pleasure to take Dirk through some basics. He's got great tool control and is relaxed and confident at the machine.

Good to see it go to the next gen of turners.

rsser
9th April 2016, 02:09 PM
I'm sorry but that's not Earn!!! Earn is a tall, thin 6'3" fellow with fair hair and no beard!!

Yeah Chambezio you're right, that is how I look, after midday.

DaveTTC
9th April 2016, 04:57 PM
Great pics. Been flat out all day plastering but just stopped and saw this post has news.

Im guessing she is loaded up and homeward bound for mew lodgings now.

Travel safe

Dave TTC
Turning Wood Into Art

Pittwater Pete
9th April 2016, 06:21 PM
Yep, loaded and northward bound.
Just left Melbourne now.

Dirk_Pittwater
10th April 2016, 02:21 PM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160410/53574297b074865068ceb844f2b6fdc3.jpg

Lathe is at its new home.
Will update when I have it sitting in place and all sorted.

What a great trip and thanks to Ern for such a great basic how to lesson and the kind words.
Also thanks to for the extra tool fence and showing us around his workshop.

Look forward to getting it happening and starting the journey to a new set of skills.

Cheers
Dirk

crowie
10th April 2016, 03:41 PM
Come on Dirk, were is the sawdust.... you've been home an hour!!!! Cheers, Peter

Dirk_Pittwater
10th April 2016, 05:43 PM
Come on Dirk, were is the sawdust.... you've been home an hour!!!! Cheers, Peter
Home for 30 mins then off to a friends engagement party. The things that get in the way...it will have to wait for 2morro after work.

Pac man
10th April 2016, 05:52 PM
Saw you on the M2 at about 1130 close to the pennant hills road turnoff. I recognised the gas can holders and then the number plate then saw the lathe.:doh::doh::doh:

Bushmiller
10th April 2016, 07:14 PM
Saw you on the M2 at about 1130 close to the pennant hills road turnoff. I recognised the gas can holders and then the number plate then saw the lathe.:doh::doh::doh:

Paul

That's a strange order of priorities. I would have thought that lathe would have stuck out like... well, a big blue lathe :wink: .

Regards
Paul

Pittwater Pete
10th April 2016, 07:21 PM
Can't get away with anything. Geez, it's like living in a small town :)
Thanks for noticing Pacman.
Pete.

Pac man
10th April 2016, 07:31 PM
Priorities went like this:
1. Exit onto Penannt Hills rd ramp
2. Proceed along said ramp
3. Watch out for goose in white ute with trailer trying to enter the ramp late at 100ks
4. Notice brown ute with familiar gas can rack
5. See number plate. tell wife that must be Pittwater Pete
6. Then see vicmarc blue thing then go oh der lathe.

Pittwater Pete
10th April 2016, 07:49 PM
Sorry, I didn't see you, but hey, I've been in the car for what felt like days. Did you get on the horn?
I must say, it was a very pleasant road trip with Dirk, as usual.
Pete.

Sawdust Maker
10th April 2016, 07:56 PM
He didn't really see you ...

no photo! didn't happen!

Christos
11th April 2016, 03:39 PM
Can't get away with anything. Geez, it's like living in a small town :).....

The internet has made us closer.

Simplicity
11th April 2016, 08:54 PM
Can't get away with anything. Geez, it's like living in a small town :)
Thanks for noticing Pacman.
Pete.

It is easer just to submit
The forum knows all sees all
All the time
You must become one with us.

Dirk_Pittwater
11th April 2016, 09:39 PM
Lathe is sitting in its spot. Need to pack it up and then bolt it all down to the floor.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160411/7f4ba7e4c360fb86b002e5559681b1cb.jpg

Had abit of a go at trying to turn a bowl. Did the bottom dovetail rebate to fit the jaws and both times it broke when I mount it.

Need to work out what I'm doing wrong.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160411/24f58669b88fc42e888ffb9d93b07711.jpg

Next purchase will be a woodturning vest and a nice new set of unscratched saftey glasses and maybe a face shield because apparently I do better when I can see.

Pat
11th April 2016, 09:57 PM
Dirk, when starting out, more wood is good, so for expansion/recess aim for 8-10mm depth. Spigots are the same. Getting the dovetail angle helps with holding power and you do NOT need to crank the chuck using superman strength! Firm yes, just not lean into it, two handed death grip twist on the key.

Personally I do not like the expansion/recess as it leaves the bottom a tad thick, unless you remove it on the 3 siting of the blank.

Bushmiller
11th April 2016, 10:06 PM
Dirk

It looks like you repainted the lathe: I rather liked the old colour :rolleyes: .

Clear glasses and plenty of light. Very helpful.

Regards
Paul

Christos
12th April 2016, 01:48 PM
After using a lower priced face shield I found that the chips were getting in under the shield. To compensate I would tilt my head which exposed the top of my head, I replaced this with an Armadillo face shield. Do a search on the net and you will see how this covers the head and neck.

Sawdust Maker
12th April 2016, 05:42 PM
When you get your armidillo it's a good idea not to immediately drop it on the concrete floor:((

DaveTTC
12th April 2016, 06:54 PM
I'm with Pat. Could have been over tightened and perhaps an aggressive cut. Think I'm back in sydney next month. I'llhave to come for a play

Priorities went like this:
1. Exit onto Penannt Hills rd ramp
2. Proceed along said ramp
3. Watch out for goose in white ute with trailer trying to enter the ramp late at 100ks
4. Notice brown ute with familiar gas can rack
5. See number plate. tell wife that must be Pittwater Pete
6. Then see vicmarc blue thing then go oh der lathe.
Thats impressive spotmanship

Dave TTC
Turning Wood Into Art

Pittwater Pete
12th April 2016, 07:48 PM
Dirk just made me a file handle.
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160412/695ec2e15fff4fe490e3b9c53b7a08ab.jpghttp://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160412/6752a3003c939a59191e204f45c728a4.jpg

DaveTTC
12th April 2016, 08:40 PM
Nice shape. Looks like a copper ferrule. Good job

Dave TTC
Turning Wood Into Art

rsser
13th April 2016, 08:28 AM
Re your bowl Dirk you'd be better starting bowl turning with a solid spigot for a foot and clamp on to it. You have the Longworth chuck to clean up any jaw marks when you finish.

In the longer run IME a recess in a foot works best and the design and practical limitations can mostly be overcome.

But best to get guidance from one of the masters and accelerate the learning curve:
Richard Raffan has several nicely done books drawing on great depth of experience.
K Rowley wrote one which is good for absolute beginners.
Mike Darlow has an into and other titles; he uses a technical language which you will be able to master and which reduces scope for confusion, and he has some very clear pics of how to do key cuts.

Dirk_Pittwater
13th April 2016, 08:45 PM
Gonna try a glue block on the back of a block of bluegum to turn a shallow dish. Glued it up tonight for later on.

Tonights project was to get a piece of tool steel that my tool sharpener guy gave me out of his scrap bin and turn it into a captive ring tool.

So the process was easier than I thought it would be. I forgot to take WIP pics, Oops.

Anyway here is the finished product
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160413/1d85b2019fe9c118f05514f9c14518b2.jpg

And here it is on a practice baby rattle.
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160413/5addc8627379d86ef875c61bc82d2490.jpg

Turned out alot neater than I imagined it to. Why I made one is because to buy they are expensive and I wanted to give it a go. Also my first real project is to make a baby rattle out of something nice for my girlfriends best friend, who is due in July.

Now all I need is alot of practice before starting on something nice.

I think I might have to cave and get a book on small projects so I can see how they are held in place and the orders to do the job in.

Hope all of you are enjoying the posts and my progress as much as I am.

Cheers
Dirk

DaveTTC
13th April 2016, 08:52 PM
Great looking job there Dirk

Choose your timber well for a baby. You dont want something that will easily split and become a choke hazard.

I might suggest a more chunky ring for a baby so it is a bit stronger but what you have done looks great

Dave TTC
Turning Wood Into Art

Sawdust Maker
13th April 2016, 09:12 PM
Ok he's had a lathe for a minute and already made something I haven't, rings

well done and I'd add my agreement to the 'maybe the rings are a little thin' but it looks great

crowie
13th April 2016, 09:22 PM
CONGRATULATION DIRK :2tsup: - When are you expecting the patter of the little feet :; now that you've made such a beaut rattle for the baby.....:rolleyes:...

Do mum and dad know the exciting news???

DaveTTC
13th April 2016, 09:54 PM
I dont think its his baby crowie ... or there'll be aome explaining to do 😉

Dave TTC
Turning Wood Into Art

Bushmiller
13th April 2016, 10:01 PM
I dont think its his baby crowie ... or there'll be aome explaining to do 

Dave TTC
Turning Wood Into Art

:roflmao:.

Nice ring. :? :-

Regards
Paul

Simplicity
13th April 2016, 10:05 PM
Nice start with the turnings
Dirk.
If you have access too tool steel(bloody lucky you).
And now have a lathe what about a marking knife.
Or a gents saw handle, I can give you some old hard point saw plate in a few weekends.
Which you can cut down for the saw plate for a small gents saw.
Fold up some steel sheet for the back not that hard in a small section 150mm would be heaps long enough.
And you have your first hand made saw.
Then sell it to your dad for $150 lol

Dirk_Pittwater
13th April 2016, 10:21 PM
Ok he's had a lathe for a minute and already made something I haven't, rings

well done and I'd add my agreement to the 'maybe the rings are a little thin' but it looks great

Better get to it then! What else haven't you done? Hahaha

Yer I agree with you both about the rings being to small.
It was just a practice to see how well I could do them at this size. Larger is easier. I was also testing how much space I would need between them to be able to cut them off neatly and to try get as many as I can fit next practice round.

CONGRATULATION DIRK :2tsup: - When are you expecting the patter of the little feet :; now that you've made such a beaut rattle for the baby.....:rolleyes:...

Do mum and dad know the exciting news???

Not my baby. I don't think I could handle that just yet.
Also I only got a girlfriend last week hahaha.

My girlfriends best friend is the one expecting.
Also just found out my cousins fiancé is now pregnant.

So now I'll have to do 2.

Great looking job there Dirk

Choose your timber well for a baby. You dont want something that will easily split and become a choke hazard.

Dave TTC
Turning Wood Into Art

Do you have any suggestions Dave?
Also need to find a finish that is baby friendly.

DaveTTC
13th April 2016, 10:28 PM
I found boree keeps a great edge so imagine it would be strong in a baby rattle. There would be others in here with a lot more experience than I when it comes to timber choice so perhaps they may chime in

Dave TTC
Turning Wood Into Art

Dirk_Pittwater
13th April 2016, 10:28 PM
:roflmao:.

Nice ring. :? :-

Regards
Paul

Thanks Paul glad you like it.
I'm usually not one to show everyone :roflmao:.

Nice start with the turnings
Dirk.
If you have access too tool steel(bloody lucky you).
And now have a lathe what about a marking knife.
Or a gents saw handle, I can give you some old hard point saw plate in a few weekends.
Which you can cut down for the saw plate for a small gents saw.
Fold up some steel sheet for the back not that hard in a small section 150mm would be heaps long enough.
And you have your first hand made saw.
Then sell it to your dad for $150 lol

What a great Idea. Can't charge him for it though as he's been told that he's not to use the lathe but I'm happy to turn anything for him.
Plus he came to Melbourne with me to pick it up so I owe him.

Simplicity
13th April 2016, 10:50 PM
Thanks Paul glad you like it.
I'm usually not one to show everyone :roflmao:.

What a great Idea. Can't charge him for it though as he's been told that he's not to use the lathe but I'm happy to turn anything for him.
Plus he came to Melbourne with me to pick it up so I owe him.

If he being your dad is not allowed to use YOUR lathe.
Could that possibly set up a situation were he goes out and buys a BETTER lathe.
Placed next to yours.
With the firm understanding of a father that you are not to touch said lathe. [emoji2]

DaveTTC
13th April 2016, 10:53 PM
Could that possibly set up a situation were he goes out and buys a BETTER lathe.
Placed next to yours.
With the firm understanding of a father that you are not to touch said lathe. [emoji2]
He might get a 'new' one

Dave TTC
Turning Wood Into Art

Dirk_Pittwater
13th April 2016, 11:01 PM
Placed next to yours.

Yes him as in (dad).
Hahaha he could but he doesn't have the patience or the time to learn to turn. I'll let him on it one day but only when the "new tool" feeling has worn off. Might be awhile though.

Sawdust Maker
15th April 2016, 02:43 PM
Better get to it then! What else haven't you done? Hahaha

heaps of stuff - just ask SWMBO

DaveTTC
15th April 2016, 02:49 PM
heaps of stuff - just ask SWMBO
The mowing
Cleaned the gutters
Bought her roses

Yeah I have a list like that lol

Dave TTC
Turning Wood Into Art

crowie
15th April 2016, 07:31 PM
The mowing - THE DUST BOWL - I think not!

Cleaned the gutters - What Gutters??

Bought her roses - NOW THIS IS A WELL DONE DAVE!!!

Yeah I have a list like that lol - SOME OF US HAVE SEEN THE PROPOSED RENOVATIONS AND THE SHEDS FULL OF STUFF & MACHINE..... LONG LIKE A BLOKE DESCRIBING THE FISH THAT GOT AWAY; IT WAS THIS BIG!!

Dave TTC
Turning Wood Into Art

And besides Dave, Rachelle is such a sweetie, one couldn't imagine her "hen pecking" you about anything!!! cheers, Peter

Sawdust Maker
15th April 2016, 08:24 PM
The mowing - when it's knee height!
Cleaned the gutters - gutters?
Bought her roses - bought her a rose bush!
Yeah I have a list like that lol

Dave TTC
Turning Wood Into Art

but there are heaps of other things - but I did change the water filter today! [brownie point!] :D

Dirk_Pittwater
11th May 2016, 06:06 PM
Started a thread on turning Corian pens for those that haven't yet seen it.

Also pretty excited today as my tailstock drill came today.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160511/bdc92d755845587e5779cd91f62e08d1.jpg

Cheers
Dirk.

DaveTTC
11th May 2016, 06:38 PM
Cool been waiting for an update

Dave TTC
Turning Wood Into Art

Simplicity
11th May 2016, 07:19 PM
Come on Dirk
You can't just gives two lines and pic [emoji3][emoji3][emoji3]

DaveTTC
11th May 2016, 07:20 PM
4 lines on my screen

Dave TTC
Turning Wood Into Art

Dirk_Pittwater
11th May 2016, 07:26 PM
Looks like a paragraph on my phone.

Need to buy a pen mandrel and then I can start turning some pen's.

Haven't had alot of time on the lathe lately due to work being busy and life getting in the way on my weekend's.

Here is a file handle I turned up before the saw sharpening gtg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160511/c6cfed2d1006f6e8ae871a9b0200ba6c.jpg

DaveTTC
11th May 2016, 07:33 PM
Looks like some nice gain

What sort of timber is it?

Dave TTC
Turning Wood Into Art

Simplicity
11th May 2016, 07:33 PM
Ok I give in besides I can't write to save my self.
Your file handle looks really cool
I missed that at the saw class

Bushmiller
11th May 2016, 08:30 PM
No, no, no. You wouldn't believe it, another maker of nice file handles. I'll have to fall on the axe (blunt side up; I'm just a fool, not an idiot :rolleyes: ).

I suppose I could make a handle as part of the healing process......

Regards
Paul

Dirk_Pittwater
11th May 2016, 08:47 PM
Looks like some nice gain

What sort of timber is it?

Dave TTC
Turning Wood Into Art
It was cut out of a stick of recycled blackbutt believe it or not.

Thanks for the kind words guys.
Its nice to hear people enjoying the things you make.

Cheers
Dirk.

crowie
11th May 2016, 09:47 PM
It was cut out of a stick of recycled blackbutt believe it or not.

Thanks for the kind words guys.
Its nice to hear people enjoying the things you make.

Cheers
Dirk.

Looks like all the toymaking offcuts will be pens and handle....enjoy the wood lathe Dirk...Cheers, Peter

Dirk_Pittwater
11th May 2016, 10:01 PM
Pete there is still plenty here for you when you pop in. I couldn't turn all the offcuts in the factory even if I tried to.
This piece of blackbutt was particularly nice. I had set it aside as soon as I got the lathe as I knew the fiddleback would be lovely in whatever I turned it into.

Sawdust Maker
11th May 2016, 10:28 PM
No, no, no. You wouldn't believe it, another maker of nice file handles. I'll have to fall on the axe (blunt side up; I'm just a fool, not an idiot :rolleyes: ).

I suppose I could make a handle as part of the healing process......

Regards
Paul

OK shall we all make bushy a file handle for the next gtg?
I think I've got a bit of monterey pine somewhere that would be suitable

Bushmiller
12th May 2016, 09:55 AM
OK shall we all make bushy a file handle for the next gtg?
I think I've got a bit of monterey pine somewhere that would be suitable

We? How many does it take? That could be my problem. There's only one of me :( .

Regards
Paul

Dirk_Pittwater
28th July 2016, 10:33 AM
Back at the lathe again after a few hectic months of working long hours to get jobs done.

We were doing a really trick walk in robe for a client and dad proposed that I turn up some clothes pegs. Now this job is an open polyurethane wardrobe with thickened up edges, dovetailed western red cedar drawers left raw for smell and insect repellant properties and drawer fronts coated in a uv stabilized clear poly, timber hanging rails with custom adjustable ends.

Here is a photo of the timber dowel that I used for the hanging rail and I used the offcuts to make the pegs.
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160727/6f26573c6a71cf3ea9ac97e60a8236af.jpg

Pegs installed. They were all a tight fit with a little bit of pva to make sure they never come out.
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160727/e36121f70b26d4dc05bb89fde0aaceb1.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160727/68391ecb1013ca4cce1875694448b703.jpg

DaveTTC
28th July 2016, 11:40 AM
Nice job. How was it getting them the same?

They look good in the pic

Dave TTC
Turning Wood Into Art

Dirk_Pittwater
28th July 2016, 03:08 PM
Thanks Dave. Yer they were not to bad. Only had trouble getting the round ends the same.

Still trying to get that roll over and lift the back of the tool up at the same time action.

Was nice doing some repetition work. They took me about 16-18min each thats fully sanded to 400.
I didn't think that was to bad.