PDA

View Full Version : Wood Turning At The Sydney Royal Easter Show

Christos
23rd March 2016, 03:30 PM
I thought that I should give you guys a heads up that the Sydney Woodturners Guild will be once again demoing at the Sydney Royal Easter show. They will be there from the 23rd(today) until the 25th of March.

As I am a member of the guild I have volunteered to be at the stand on the 25th of March. So if you happen to be at the show on these days come by and say hello. :U

NCArcher
23rd March 2016, 06:34 PM
And while you are there have a gander at this item in the arts and craft pavillion, Hall 5. :U

There may be a couple of leathercraft items by a forum member on display as well. :;

Christos
24th March 2016, 12:27 PM
And while you are there have a gander at this item in the arts and craft pavillion, Hall 5. .....

After the show I will get this item back and will take some detail photos and an explanation of what brought this to life. :wacko:

Christos
27th March 2016, 07:51 AM
As I mention in the start of the thread i was going to demo on the 25th. The day started pretty early and was just full on but that was an incredible amount of fun.

Couple of hours turning and the rest talking to people who had questions. The main purpose of the demonstrations is to give people an idea of what wood turning is about. Those that wanted to give it a go were given options to attend clubs locate to their area. At the show I was representing the Sydney Wood Turning Guild but has always been the case is we tell people about clubs in their area.

turnerted
27th March 2016, 04:13 PM
Glad you enjoyed yourself Christos . Unfortunatly I had another commitment this year and was not able to participate .I have always found it good fun .
Ted

Sawdust Maker
27th March 2016, 06:59 PM
Jees Christos - If I had of known you'd get a gig I would have come along and heckled!

Theodor
27th March 2016, 10:32 PM
I was at the show earlier in the week. Unfortunately by the time we got to the crafts, our kids were sick of all the walking. They'd prefer just to watch the animals all day. Even giving them a sugar hit from a toffee apple at the districts displays didn't get them going. I had a quick geek at the bowls while my better half checked out the knitting and cakes.

Anyway Christos, where is the closest turning group to North Parramatta? Being new to turning I'd be interested in watching others do their thing. Yet I suppose you don't all drag your lathes to one location when you have a get-together, right?

Sawdust Maker
28th March 2016, 09:00 AM
I remember taking the eldest lad to the show when he was about 3 ish
wandered around and looked at everything but the best thing was a case tractor with front end loader. It had nothing to do with the show was parked there to resume work when the festivities concluded

Pat
28th March 2016, 09:41 AM
Christos, demoing is fun. Kids and most adults are fascinated by turning. I find the best item to turn is a spinning top.

Some adults make it a trial of my good nature . . .

Christos
29th March 2016, 12:21 PM
Jees Christos - If I had of known you'd get a gig I would have come along and heckled!

I think the word heckle in these events is a little harsh, so lets use the word banter. It is part of what makes demonstrating fun, as the banter quite often happens between our members.

........Anyway Christos, where is the closest turning group to North Parramatta? Being new to turning I'd be interested in watching others do their thing......

You have two to choose from, Western Sydney Wood Turners or Sydney Woodturners Guild, which have a number of affiliated clubs around Sydney.

Western Sydney Woodturners - About Us (http://www.westernsydneywoodturners.com/)
Sydney Woodturners Guild Inc. (http://www.sydneywoodturners.com.au/)

There is also the Mens Shed organization where some might offer wood turning.

Home - Australian Men's Shed Asscociation (http://mensshed.org/)

........ Yet I suppose you don't all drag your lathes to one location when you have a get-together, right?

The wood turning clubs should have a number of lathes available for members to use.