PDA

View Full Version : Where to find a Wood Mill.

issatree
27th March 2016, 07:51 PM
Hi to you all,
Well I must have missed the Wanted Section

We are about to drop 2 Desert Ash Trees, & wood like to Slab the Timber.
Can't find a Lucas Mill or the likes, close to North Geelong, Vic.
So maybe you know of one ??.
A chain saw mill I don't think wood work in this case.
No way of taking the Trees to the Saw, but for the Saw to come to the Trees.
Both are approx. 18in. - 460mm. through.
Not to happen just yet, but maybe June - July. Just getting ready ???.

dai sensei
27th March 2016, 08:21 PM
you could always halve with a chainsaw and then use bandsaw

issatree
28th March 2016, 12:12 AM
Hi Neil,
Were talking some 14ft.in +- length of tree here, & 18in. +- through.
So you're thinking a big portable Bandsaw ??.
I don't think there are any of them around here either.
Early days, as someone may have an idea of where we can hire one.

Paul39
28th March 2016, 02:52 AM
Issatree,

If you are wanting long lumber a portable band mill or a chain saw mill would do that. If you want bowl blanks or short pieces, cutting up the log into pieces as long as your chain saw blade, and them slabbing them is a do it yourself project.

I am 76 and cut as many bowl blanks as I can with one tank of gas, then clean up the mess. I do shut down the saw 2 - 3 times and lean against something and watch the birds, or clouds for a bit. I use a Stihl 029 saw with an 18 inch blade. A sharp chain and a V shaped log holder will let you make nice 2, 3, 4, inch thick slabs.

Chain saw mills:

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1276&bih=765&q=chain+saw+mill&oq=chain+saw+mill&gs_l=img.12..0j0i5i30l2j0i10i24l7.1678.6481.0.13325.14.14.0.0.0.0.185.1665.0j14.14.0....0...1ac.1.64.img..0.14.1655.DnT7YbAFKhs

Portable band saw mills:

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1276&bih=765&q=chain+saw+mill&oq=chain+saw+mill&gs_l=img.12..0j0i5i30l2j0i10i24l7.1678.6481.0.13325.14.14.0.0.0.0.185.1665.0j14.14.0....0...1ac.1.64.img..0.14.1655.DnT7YbAFKhs#hl=en&tbm=isch&q=portable+band++saw+mill

dai sensei
28th March 2016, 08:35 PM
Were talking some 14ft.in +- length of tree here, & 18in. +- through.
So you're thinking a big portable Bandsaw ??.

I was assuming you were slabbing for turning blanks. I was thinking freehand cutting with chainsaw leaving ~9" that fits in decent bandsaw. I often cut 2m long logs on mine, but if you want to keep the 14' length, it could be a bit difficult to manage :rolleyes:

issatree
28th March 2016, 11:56 PM
Hi Paul,
Thank you for all that you sent.
I have seen both of that type of those Machines.
However, the trees are not far from a Refugee Learning Facilities, & The noise wood drive them mad.
We wood be asked to stop, especially the Chainsaw.

We have here a single blade 3 tooth saw called a Lucas Mill.
Not a great deal of noise. Wood most likely have to do this on a weekend anyway, but there again, a lot more cost, & I'm not sure if the powers that be wood accept that.
Yeah, money money money, speaks all languages, & I don't think there is a lot of it in the kitty.
As I've said it is a little way off just yet.
I will see them all on Wed. 30/3/2016, & will show them the points you raised.

Paul39
29th March 2016, 02:50 AM
Issatree,

Do you have what we call a rollback wrecker in AU:

Rollback Tow Trucks, Car Carriers & Parts for Sale / NC, VA, Nationwide (http://www.autoequipmentinc.com/carriers_home.html)

Given the restrictions about noise, assuming you can get a truck near the trees, cut down the trees, cut to length, pull up on the truck and take to a more hospitable location or sawmill for milling.

Unfortunately a tree on the stump or on the ground is not worth much. Once cut, taken to the mill, sawed up and dried for two years, it is worth a fortune.

My best friend has a 24 inch diameter black walnut tree that he would like gone. He has offered it free, no takers. It is near his house so would take professional cutters to take down.

issatree
29th March 2016, 10:11 AM
Paul, we use them in the car crash service, & other things as well, I wood think.
Money wood be the problem, getting one of them, & wood have to drive some 30+- miles there & back, to an open Paddock to cut them.
I ? was thinking of 6 1/2in. thick slabs, then can be dealt with at a later date.

A Duke
29th March 2016, 11:24 AM
Hi,
Have you checked this lot out Timber Salvage (http://www.skillspublish.com.au/Skills%20Timber%20Salvage.htm)
There may be someone near.
Regards

cava
29th March 2016, 12:47 PM
I ? was thinking of 6 1/2in. thick slabs, then can be dealt with at a later date.

If you are thinking of slabbing them into larger slabs, have you considered something similar to this?

Panther Chainsaw Mills (http://www.pantherpros.com/pantherCub.html)

If you go for the 6 1/2" slabs, it is just two (2) cuts lengthwise and accuracy is not that important, then cut however many you want, to make them manageable for lifting etc.

It just may get you out of a jam, and you can resaw at your own leisure at a later date. Just a thought...

issatree
30th March 2016, 03:32 AM
Hi Hugh, Cava,
Hugh, I found 1 possibility, most likely 80+- K's. away, as they have a Lucas Mill, plus he has to get home.

The Geelong Guy has a Chainsaw Mill, which wood maybe do the job.

Cava, thank you also, & as above I will be in touch with him.

I really like the Lucas, as I've seen them in action many times, & they could cut the sides off a little easier, & wood be much quieter.
He doesn't work Sun. so I think it wood have to be on a Sat.

I thank you all for your responses.

BobL
30th March 2016, 06:52 AM

Have you got a way of moving heavy pieces of wood?
At those dimensions the middle slab will weigh around 320kg, and the others will weigh around half that.
Even if the middle slab is only 50 mm thick it will still be close to 100kg.

issatree
31st March 2016, 01:34 AM
Hi to you all,
I actually took a guess at the size of the trees, but today Wed. I was there & had a good look.
So they are more likely to be 20 - 24 in. through & may get approx. 7 - 8 ft. in length.
My apologies for that mistake, & all we have to do is to stop the main man from cutting them into foot- 305mm. blocks, like he did last time.
I did manage to get 2 blocks, but the rest were taken to be burnt.
The grain in the Desert Ash is very much like Claret Ash.

Woodturnerjosh
31st March 2016, 06:39 AM
That's a great size for some big bowls!!! I'm jealous :U