PDA

View Full Version : Royal Easter Show Entry 2016

Christos
6th April 2016, 08:58 AM
Those of you that have seen the thread for the Royal Easter Show http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/wood-sydney-royal-easter-204005 would have read that I enter the wood turning competition.

There was also a photo taken of my piece but that is behind a glass wall and not too much details. I have taken more photos from different angles. I have also noticed that some cracks have developed. :rolleyes:

376105 376103 376101 376104 376099 376106 376098
The following two photos are the natural edge. Not very good example as I lost most of the edge. :( So I ended up sanding it smooth but leaving some colour.
376100 376102

I really need some feedback on this bowl so I have included a poll in order for people to vote.

It is anonymous poll so be as honest as you wish. I have allowed voting for multiple times.

I am also inviting those that would like to post a comment about this piece, please do so in this thread. Weather that comment is of praise or condemnation.

wheelinround
6th April 2016, 10:10 AM
You should be proud of this one Christos well done love the grain and how you've off set the bowl as well. Like you though its warped :p

Greg Ward
6th April 2016, 10:22 AM
Christos, seems unbalanced. I think it needs some trimming, not to make it symmetrical, but to provide balance in some way, however the colours are good and the workmanship is absolutely wonderful

Greg

Theodor
6th April 2016, 05:57 PM
I like the ripple affect around the top of the bowl. however the square edges are too sharp so I think you lose that nice flow into the edges.

smiife
6th April 2016, 08:36 PM
Hi christos,
I think if you look at the last photo you can see the bowl
doesn, t flow through the wings, the offset from that angle
also looks odd in some way , the wings in my opinion
should be the same size and thinner, the bowl also needs
to be the same shape all the way through,
You have asked for comments and criticism, also a poll
so i hope you don, t mind me speaking my own mind,
this is only my opinion ,,,,,,,, for what thats worth.......:C:C

dai sensei
6th April 2016, 09:06 PM
Hi christos,
I think if you look at the last photo you can see the bowl
doesn, t flow through the wings, the offset from that angle
also looks odd in some way , the wings in my opinion
should be the same size and thinner, the bowl also needs
to be the same shape all the way through,
You have asked for comments and criticism, also a poll
so i hope you don, t mind me speaking my own mind,
this is only my opinion ,,,,,,,, for what thats worth.......:C:C

+1 Sorry :-

Christos
7th April 2016, 08:41 AM
I really appreciate the comments that people are supplying, there is no animosity towards anyone comments.

The poll that I put up is a blind and multiple choice one. I did it this way in order for people to cast uninhibited votes.

Christos
11th April 2016, 03:53 PM
The multiple choice poll that I put up will close on the 14th.

If there is something that I missed please reply to this thread as your opinion it is valuable. As an example I already have an idea on one piece which is based on one of the comments from this thread. So don't underestimate what you can contributed.

Christos
14th April 2016, 02:15 PM
Now that the poll has closed I just wanted to thank everyone that cast a vote on the piece that I made.

The comments in the thread have given me some feed back for me to dwell on. As I have already stated I have an idea on at least one variation that I want to try. It might be a month before I get the chance to try it.

Drillit
14th April 2016, 04:29 PM
Hello Christos,
Agree with Smife. The wings need to be thinner and are an artificial division of the bowl so that the top should be (IMHO) a continuation
of the bottom. I would also try to get the wings to taper downwards so as to get a flow from the outside of the bowl to the wing tips. Having said that I do like the wood colouring and finish.
Drillit.