PDA

View Full Version : How to turn very fine beads

QuarkVI
9th April 2016, 06:14 PM
Hi All,

would appreciate some advice as to how to approach turning some very fine beads (2-3mm side to side).

I am wanting to do these in two places

1] At the rims of end grain boxes i.e. where the the top meets the bottom

2] On the bottom of a rounded bottom end grain box/vase as a foot

So far I have tried using my 6mm spindle gouge - but I think I will have to put a pointier grind on it as can't get them fine enough. I have also tried using a 3 point tool - but really new at this tool - which I think I am landing up using more as a scraper so having less than perfect results due to some tear out. The 80 grit gouge also results in a loss of sharpness where the bead meets the body of the box.

any pointers much appreciated
Robin

pommyphil
9th April 2016, 06:30 PM
V cuts with the long point of your Skew then roll them with the short point. Wear your glasses !!

Old-Biker-UK
9th April 2016, 06:36 PM
For tiny beads on lace bobbins etc. I use a bedan or a small (1/2") skew.
Takes a bit of practice, I usually turn a few on some scrap to get my hand in before I start on the proper job.
Mark

Luke Maddux
9th April 2016, 06:36 PM
I would roll this bead (very, very carefully) with a small, flat, round-sided skew chisel. You use the toe and basically rotate it from near-horizontal to truly vertical along the profile of the bead. It's a fairly standard skew technique that you probably want to get down.

It would also probably be appropriate to use a small beading tool.

Either will require precision, and I would suggest that, whichever method you choose, you practice it many times before executing on a project. It's easy to get a work-destroying catch on this kind of cut if you don't have the technique down.

That said, if you need to make the same bead many, many times, it may be worth your time to make yourself a custom-shaped scraper for the task. That would turn it into a no thought exercise.

Good luck,
Luke

Blarney
9th April 2016, 07:04 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1kAWfQQg-o

fletty
9th April 2016, 07:39 PM
Blarney, what have you done to me? I've started watching TURNING VIDEOS!
That's me down the toilet.......:toiletjump:

fletty

QuarkVI
9th April 2016, 08:36 PM
Thank you all - more skew practice it is then!

Robin

powderpost
9th April 2016, 09:51 PM
Acquire or make a small gouge about 2 or 3mm, what ever size suits the job, and grind it at about 45 degrees on the top (flute side). That will make consistent easily. Use it with the flute down on the tool rest.

Jim

turnerted
10th April 2016, 04:41 PM
D Way tools make beading tools from 1/8" up. Have a look at their web site.
Ted

smiife
10th April 2016, 05:18 PM
Hi robin,
Last weekend at a richard raffan demo , he showed
how turn beads with a small detail gouge, laid on it, s
side point in first and then roll to the open position
then point in on the other side, it looked a lot easier
than it is to explain it:C , but it worked petty well and
no catches:o ........now you are probably totaly confused:roll:

hughie
11th April 2016, 05:42 AM
Acquire or make a small gouge about 2 or 3mm, what ever size suits the job, and grind it at about 45 degrees on the top (flute side). That will make consistent easily. Use it with the flute down on the tool rest.

Jim
I used use a small gouge and roll it over aka Richard Raffan style and still do occasionally. But I have made a few beading tools for the most common sizes I use. I dont do very many and most are on the foot these days.

Cliff Rogers
11th April 2016, 09:26 AM
I made a couple of scrapers out of a slasher blade, I can't find the thread with the pics but I can find a post where I used them & it has a couple of pics.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/f10/migration-146506/2#post1528729

I'll look for more.

Cliff Rogers
11th April 2016, 09:29 AM
Here is another thread worth a look.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/shortcuts-beads-bowls-85783

joe greiner
11th April 2016, 01:54 PM
D Way tools make beading tools from 1/8" up. Have a look at their web site.
Ted

Harvey Meyer uses these for his basket illusions.