PDA

View Full Version : Fish oil??

aeg20boat
16th August 2005, 07:56 PM
My grandfather used to have a big tin of this lovely smelling stuff.
He'd put it on tools to stop them rusting etc.
Where the hell do I get the real thing, something natural and not so bad for my health. I don't want the stuff with carginogens, heavy metals and rust inhibitors.

Any ideas?

Bunyip
16th August 2005, 08:00 PM
If you are really keen on it, check out auto stores like Repco and Autobarn. They have it for rustproofing your car - spray pack or liquid.

echnidna
16th August 2005, 08:08 PM
or go catch a sperm whale and make your own.

Gumby
16th August 2005, 08:11 PM
or go catch a sperm whale and make your own.

How much sperm is in a sperm whale anyway ? :confused:

echnidna
16th August 2005, 08:14 PM
a skin full

aeg20boat
16th August 2005, 08:28 PM
Does this stuff exclusively come from whales?

ozwinner
16th August 2005, 08:47 PM
CHOMP!!

Al :mad:

echnidna
16th August 2005, 09:04 PM
Does this stuff exclusively come from whales?
think so but try a google search and find out.

ozwinner
16th August 2005, 09:10 PM
http://www.ibiblio.org/Dave/Dr-Fun/df9402/df940210.jpgAl :D

aeg20boat
16th August 2005, 09:10 PM
I can get no success out of google. I assumed this stuff was common. Thanks for your help though guys.

Much appreciated

ozwinner
16th August 2005, 09:13 PM
Maybe you need to play with it more?

Al

aeg20boat
16th August 2005, 09:41 PM
ozwinner, your such a devil

journeyman Mick
17th August 2005, 12:13 AM
Adam,
you'll need to jump (naked of course) into the canoe which you hand hewed out of a single log using handforged axes, adzes and scorps. Paddle miles out to sea using a lodestone floating on a lump of timber in a bowl which you threw on the handmade, footpowered potters wheel and fired in your pit kiln for navigation. You'll catch fish on your handforged hooks hanging off the roo sinew fishing line (roos killed with handmade bow and arrows and butchered with hand forged knife, of course). You'll beat the fish to death with the billy club you prepared earlier on the pole lathe.
When you get back to land you'll pound the fish in the giant mortar and pestle that you made yourself and collect the juices in gourds which you grew in your garden. You'll need to decant these juices in order to seperate the oils. After you've done all this you'll have a thimble full of oil (and a lot of really stinky decomposing juices and fish frames - good for your organic garden) So you'll need to head out again and catch more fish and repeat the process. Once you've gotten a whole lot of oil you may want to heat it and reduce it somewhat as it will be too runny. Just use your hand forged steel (you did mine the ore yourself didn't you?) and flint (ditto for the flint) to strike some sparks into the tinder you collected on this mornings naked foray into the bush so you can get a fire started. Place the fish oil into the cauldron you cast out of the iron you smelted earlier and simmer it for a few hours. Will preserve several soulless iron hand planes or maybe half of a truly evil bit of machinery.

Mick

Tankstand
17th August 2005, 12:25 AM
Pssst....

Would you be interested in some Snake Oil! :D

Poloris
17th August 2005, 05:38 PM
This stuff was mostly used as a wire rope lubricant.
Unfortunatly rags soaked in it would almost always spontainiously burst into flames if they were not disposed of quickly in a incinerator . I witnessed two near industrial "incidents" myself.

As a result it has been completly replaced by Wire rope lubricant.

The only side effect was I remember was it made our callused hands as soft as a baby's bum.

MeTaBo MaN
28th August 2005, 10:37 AM
You can get bottles of tuna oil from most fishing shops , good for chumming up sharks as well :D