PDA

View Full Version : Free white timber

dai sensei
14th April 2016, 07:31 PM
Just finishing slabbing and cutting up turning blanks from a huge Doughwood (Euodia) tree in Buderim. Still plenty of turning/carving blanks that won't fit in the trailer up for grabs. I'll be here all day today and tomorrow morning. If interested ring me on 0417 782 204 for address. It is a very white timber, relatively plain but does have some figure sometimes and bark inclusions/faults. It also spalts very fast with beautiful black swirls.

See http://www.woodworkforums.com/f132/milling-euodia-buderim-qld-204319/2#post1945628 for more photos of tree

Phily
16th April 2016, 08:51 PM
How well does Doughwood retain its whiteness? Looks very similar to freshly cut Holly, though keepimg Holly white is hit and miss.

dai sensei
16th April 2016, 10:28 PM
Keeps it well, unless it spalts. I have a few roughed out bowls around here some where, I did them a few years ago and they are waiting for me to finish, but they have held the almost white colour. Holy does too most of the time but it depends on when it was harvested and the resultant sap content apparently.

You also have to be careful with finishes too, many turn it yellow (CA does) or dull/darken it (a lot of oils). The best finish I have tried was clear boot polish that Cindy Drozda taught me years ago. It really does work well on a lot of timbers when you don't want to change the natural colour.

george mavridis
16th April 2016, 11:19 PM
The best finish I have tried was clear boot polish that Cindy Drozda taught me years ago. It really does work well on a lot of timbers when you don't want to change the natural colour.

Is the boot polish a wax?

Phily
17th April 2016, 12:28 AM
A good tip - I've been struggling with the Holly to maintain a clean white colour. Ta!

dai sensei
17th April 2016, 09:51 AM
Is the boot polish a wax?

Yes, but translucent/clear