PDA

View Full Version : Faceplate stuck on spindle - any ideas?

rtyuiop
17th April 2016, 04:29 PM
Hi folks,

I just had my first go at using a bowlsaver, and that went OK, but I guess with the force from the bowlsaver compared to hollowing normally, the outermost bowl and the faceplate it's on are stuck on the spindle - it won't unscrew.

I can't move it, and because the notch for the wrench on the outboard side is in the handwheel rather than the spindle, if I add more force it just unscrews the handwheel.

Lathe is a VL300 if that makes a difference.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Danny

pommyphil
17th April 2016, 04:33 PM
Doesn't it have a spindle lock pin ??

rtyuiop
17th April 2016, 04:37 PM
It does, but it doesn't feel like it's designed to deal with large amounts of force, so I'm not keen to use it for this!

If wiser heads than mine can confirm the spindle lock is suitable for this sort of thing, it could well work. Anyone have any ideas?

turnerted
17th April 2016, 04:59 PM
I can't imagine you would have any problem with the spindle lock on a VL300 . Just lock it and yank on the perimeter of your bowl.Or you should be able to get at the flat on the faceplate with a spanner and give it a wack with a hammer.
Ted

Mobyturns
17th April 2016, 08:36 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vG28DdSPUCA might help.

From Vicmarc's lathe manual -

Removing

To release the chuck first ensure that the safety ring has been removed and engage the indexing pin.
Place the Allen key into the chuck.
Use a light tap with the hand or a soft mallet (never use a metal one) to unbind the thread.
Remove the Allen key and unwind the chuck using the hand wheel.

 Tip: If you have continued problems removing the chuck, a thin pvc (nylon) washer can be between the face of the chuck and the face of the spindle before the chuck is screwed on. This prevents metal to metal binding which can make it difficult to remove the chuck.

Acco
17th April 2016, 09:42 PM
I've never had a problem on my VL300 using the spindle lock.

Just make sure you use a decent block of wood or deadblow hammer on the spanner to shock it loose.

rtyuiop
18th April 2016, 08:11 AM
Thanks all! Seems like my caution with the spindle lock is excessive. I'll give it a try tonight.

Danny

rtyuiop
18th April 2016, 06:26 PM
Update - got it off with the spindle lock, wrench, and a few hefty hits with a nice absorbent mallet. No apparent ill consequences! Thanks all.

Drillit
18th April 2016, 06:48 PM
Can I suggest for the future that you use anti-sieze on the faceplate thread/chuck or a thin nylon washer between the headstock spindle and the faceplate/chuck. Will avoid the problem. Drillit.

Woodturnerjosh
18th April 2016, 10:02 PM
I've never had that sort of problem with the chuck or faceplate over tightening with use. Make sure the mating surfaces between the chuck and the spindle are clean and free of debris and make sure you put the chuck/faceplate on firmly to begin with. I screw mine up till they are about a 1/4 turn away and them give them a sharp spin onto the spindle so the seat on firmly...I'm not sure if this makes the difference but I've had big blocks on and taking aggressive cuts and they haven't gotten any tighter. I hope that makes sense?

Josh

rtyuiop
19th April 2016, 08:37 AM
I have a suspicion it might be a tiny bit of tolerance in the machining on the thread or plate on the chuck - I've not had this issue with my little VM100 chuck (despite it taking a fair amount of force when I've used it for things I probably should have gone to the VM120 for!), but I've noticed both my VM120 and my faceplate can take a fair bit more oomph to move.

turnerted
19th April 2016, 04:51 PM
Glad you got it off OK . Vicmarc say in their instructions not to put a washer on the shaft . Despite this I use a washer cut from the lid of an icecream container on my VL240 as I have on occasions had a chuck very hard to get off .It is suprising that Vicmarc don't have some means of locking the shaft other than the spindle lock, although I suppose that would negate the relay on the spindle lock which prevents the lathe starting when when the lock is on .
Ted