PDA

View Full Version : Taun Bowl

Pat
24th April 2016, 09:44 PM
Well I've been on the spindle side of the fence for the last 6 or so months, pens, bottle stoppers, hollow forms and the like, but today I just had to go back to my first turning love, a plain simple bowl. I looked at the shed stash and this piece of Taun said here I am, turn me.

It ended up as a 250*37 footed shallow bowl, with a consistent 8 - 9 mm thickness. Yes I know, not particularly thin, but I like my bowls to be useful. Sanded to 400# and EEE. I have not applied any finish yet.

Nubsnstubs
25th April 2016, 01:42 AM
Hi Pat, nice bowl. You're calling the wood Taun. Is there another name for it? Sure looks like some Mahogany I have........ Just for S&G's, I cracked up at the last picture of your height gauge. .............Jerry (in Tucson)

Pat
25th April 2016, 08:02 AM
Hi Pat, nice bowl. You're calling the wood Taun. Is there another name for it? Sure looks like some Mahogany I have........ Just for S&G's, I cracked up at the last picture of your height gauge. .............Jerry (in Tucson)

Hello Jerry, Taun is also known as Malugay, Botanical name of Pometia spp, according to Bootle. The height gauge is for S & G's, as it gets used one every blue moon. The pic also tells me that I should get a scraper out and clean off the glue residues . . . one day :U

Christos
25th April 2016, 08:12 AM
Is this not more like a platter then a bowl?

Pat
25th April 2016, 08:59 AM
Is this not more like a platter then a bowl?

Definitely a bowl, shallow. :q

Christos, you are more than welcome to wander down and discuss the merits of the name in my shed. :U

Pat
25th April 2016, 06:48 PM
Christos, here's a bowl - Jacaranda, 320 * 175 * 12

smiife
25th April 2016, 06:56 PM
Hi pat,
I like both bowls, very nicely done:2tsup:
have never heard of taun timber before,
only torn grain when i turn one:U:doh:

Christos
26th April 2016, 09:14 AM
Definitely a bowl, shallow. :q

Christos, you are more than welcome to wander down and discuss the merits of the name in my shed. :U

If I saw this reply yesterday I would have dropped in from my way back to Sydney. :;

Pat
26th April 2016, 09:23 AM
If I saw this reply yesterday I would have dropped in from my way back to Sydney. :;

Mate you are more than welcomed.