PDA

View Full Version : Quandry

Sawdust Maker
27th April 2016, 11:30 PM
I've saved up a little nestegg

and I can probably purchase one or other of these two items

377775 377776

Canon EF 70-200 mm f/2.8 L USM or a Festool Domino DF 500 Jointer

But I wonder which I will get the most use and enjoyment out of ...

(PS: I've put the same thread on the festool forum to also get their unbiased viewpoint)

NCArcher
27th April 2016, 11:36 PM
Go the lens. You won't have to find somewhere to store it in your shed. If you've ever seen Nick's shed, you'll know what I mean. :D

I know, chisel handles 2032 :(

Repliconics
28th April 2016, 06:14 AM
Allowing for the fact that the question is posted on the photographic forum it's a safe bet most of the responses will be to buy the lens.
And yes I'd say buy the lens.

As much as I enjoy my time working in the shed (when I'm lucky enough to have one) it's great to have something that gets you out and about.
But either way it looks like you'll be having fun with what ever choice you make!.

Cheers
Trev.

Sawdust Maker
28th April 2016, 08:44 AM
Go the lens. You won't have to find somewhere to store it in your shed. If you've ever seen Nick's shed, you'll know what I mean. :D

I know, chisel handles 2032 :(

ha ha, but I've been tidying up the shed ... really ... stop laughing! http://d1r5wj36adg1sk.cloudfront.net/images/smilies/sad/cry.gif

crowie
28th April 2016, 10:46 AM
ha ha, but I've been tidying up the shed ... really ... stop laughing! http://d1r5wj36adg1sk.cloudfront.net/images/smilies/sad/cry.gif

Photos PLEASE!!!!

ian
28th April 2016, 03:59 PM
I've saved up a little nest egg and I can probably purchase one or other of these two items

377775 Canon EF 70-200 mm f/2.8 L USM
or
377776 Festool Domino DF 500 Jointer

But I wonder which I will get the most use and enjoyment out of ...
I think we can all guess what you'll use the Domino for, but the lens?

What do you envision using it for?
Sports
landscapes
portraits
bird watching
???

I have a similar spec lens (a Nikon ED) that spends most of it's time at home.
Most times I prefer to carry around a slower, but much lighter lens. I really only take the 2.8 when I know I want to use the faster speed and increasingly I'm using a car rather than my shoulder to carry the camera bag.

My other consideration, is that as well as the 80-200 F/2.8, I'm also carrying a second body with a more "normal" lens

Do you already have two Canon bodies ?

Christos
28th April 2016, 05:00 PM
Go the lens. You won't have to find somewhere to store it in your shed. If you've ever seen Nick's shed, you'll know what I mean. :D.......

Excellent. When I next visit I will have to take a look.

Sawdust Maker
29th April 2016, 02:48 PM
I think we can all guess what you'll use the Domino for, but the lens?

What do you envision using it for?
Sports
landscapes
portraits
bird watching
???

I have a similar spec lens (a Nikon ED) that spends most of it's time at home.
Most times I prefer to carry around a slower, but much lighter lens. I really only take the 2.8 when I know I want to use the faster speed and increasingly I'm using a car rather than my shoulder to carry the camera bag.

My other consideration, is that as well as the 80-200 F/2.8, I'm also carrying a second body with a more "normal" lens

Do you already have two Canon bodies ?

indoor sports (indoor hockey) and some general outdoor stuff

I've a 100- 400 which I use for outdoor sport and the occasional birdwatching and suchlike

I have two camera bodies the older is about a 2004/5 vintage the second is a lot younger but I estimated recently that it's taken in the order of 200,000 photos.

ian
29th April 2016, 03:16 PM
indoor sports (indoor hockey) and some general outdoor stuff

I've a 100- 400 which I use for outdoor sport and the occasional birdwatching and suchlike

I have two camera bodies the older is about a 2004/5 vintage the second is a lot younger but I estimated recently that it's taken in the order of 200,000 photos.
I find my 2.8 great for portraits, but for indoor or outdoor sport I much prefer my slower (4.5 to 5.6) 75 to 300. Upping the ISO can usually compensate for the slower aperture, and only occasionally do I miss the ability to blur the background when shooting action.

Of course my dream action lens is a 400 / 2.8, which would cost more than a small car :oo: