PDA

View Full Version : Tailstock problem

Gabriel
29th April 2016, 04:05 PM
Hey all,

In true murphy fashion, as soon as I get my first commission (yay, just hope my skills measure up) my lathe decides to S%^# itself.

Its a Jet 1220

Whilst tightening the tailstock up, I noticed it sort of 'pulled' a bit too easily. Upon the inspection and figuring out that its more than a simple 'tighten this nut here' sort of problem I thought I would post here to see if there is a solution that is widely accepted, or should I use it as a stepping stone to persuade the lovely wife that its time for an upgrade.

Basically, the thread that holds the washer that tightens to the lathe bed has stripped. Does this mean I will need to find someone to manufacture a new one, or do I need to contact jet (or carbatec) to get a new one sent out or due to it being on the lower end of the lathe market, is it a throw away job?

I have attached photos to explain the issue a little better. The main issue I have is the timing of it - as I mentioned earlier I need it running to finish some pieces. Its never a good time to break down though.

Thanks all

Gabriel

Christos
29th April 2016, 04:27 PM
Possible short term solutions to finish your piece.

* use clamps to hold the tail stock in place.
* use a bolt, washer and nut to secure the tail stock.
* visit a friend that has a lathe.

If you are going to hold the tail stock in place by the methods mention above, also consider how much pressure you will put on the tail stock.

I originally had an older Hyco lathe and to secure the tail stock required bolt, washer and nut. If I did not tighten it properly it would move backwards when securing the piece.

powderpost
29th April 2016, 04:32 PM
Rough and dirty solution... Find a smaller nyloc nut and cut a new thread to suit. Might get you out of trouble short term?

Jim

Gabriel
29th April 2016, 06:50 PM
Thanks Jim and Christos,
I have given the clamping method a crack and it seems to work well, just takes a lot longer to do all the small tasks. It will certainly get me out of trouble until I come up with a permanent solution.

Thanks, you are lifesavers!!

Gab

Nubsnstubs
30th April 2016, 01:33 AM
It looks like you have a couple threads left on the bolt. Get another nut to fit, adjust the existing nut until it clamps like it did before, put on the other nut, tighten it and get your commission done. After your done with the commission, take the tail stock apart and take it to a machine shop. Have them turn off the threaded stud, bore a hole and tap it to fit a bolt to fit the clamp. Also have them bore a hole for a set screw as now you will need something to set the bolt at the proper location. Heck, you could do it yourself if you have a drill press. ............... Jerry (in Tucson)