PDA

View Full Version : Monsterio Delicio (sp ?)

WaggaSteve
30th April 2016, 07:08 PM
Anyone ever turned this.Looking for drying advice . Plus am I just wasting my time ?

Skew ChiDAMN!!
1st May 2016, 01:47 PM
We recently had to strip one out of a front yard... between the constant sap it exudes and the "stringiness" of the stems I suspect you don't have much hope.

But don't let me put you off; science needs to be done on this! :)

Bushmiller
1st May 2016, 07:46 PM
The fruit is supposed to taste like fruit salad and a real treat, but the only time I tried it I was unimpressed. As far as drying and turning it, I am doubtful, but there again a few trees have surprised.

Regards
Paul

Wood Collector
1st May 2016, 10:23 PM
if you avoid the black bits they are quite nice. the sap will stain clothing. I don't think that you will be able to stabilise it due to it collapsing not really absorbing liquids once dry

WaggaSteve
3rd May 2016, 02:14 PM
Someone asked for a picture. Its the longer piece with the 4lt oil can shown for scale378425

Wood Collector
3rd May 2016, 05:51 PM
What is shown in the above pic is a tree fern stem below is a monstera plant stem.

chambezio
3rd May 2016, 07:07 PM
My Dad had a great love of fruit of all kinds. He was a keen gardener as well. The neigbours on either side were amused when he found one was growing a Monstero Delicio and the other neighbour had a Paw Paw tree. He kept a very good eye on both and was able to take the fruit as soon as it became ripe. And yes Monsterio does taste like fruit salad.

powderpost
3rd May 2016, 08:41 PM
I have watched this thread and can't work out what is being asked? The fruit which has a firm centre core, or the stem of the plant, either way it would probably need to be dried first. I have turned corn cob and paw paw tree stem, while Vern Bunn (TTIT) from Emerald has turned the seed from the black bean tree. So any thing is possible I suppose. I don't have access to a plant, or I would have a go myself.
Why not have a go and tell us the outcome???

Jim

Ubernoob
3rd May 2016, 08:55 PM
EDIT- Didn't see a previous post, yup it's a fern, had the two plants next to each other in our backyard, Monstera is a pest!