PDA

View Full Version : Neil Scobie's passing

dai sensei
4th May 2016, 07:47 PM
Very sad news Vale Neil Scobie - Australian Wood Review (http://www.woodreview.com.au/news/vale-neil-scobie)

He has been a master of turning and demonstrating to many :C

Jim Carroll
4th May 2016, 07:54 PM
One of our True woodworking legends, taken way too young

Kidbee
4th May 2016, 08:20 PM
Yes a guy whose name is synonymous with woodworking in Australia. Passed away far too soon. I can picture his very nice bowls with his wife's art work painted on them.

Ironwood
4th May 2016, 08:42 PM
RIP Neil.

He was a great inspiration, and his work will continue to inspire.

smiife
4th May 2016, 08:59 PM
Very sad news, always enjoyed his articles in various
woody magazines, taken far to young , he will be surely missed

d5k
4th May 2016, 08:59 PM
Very sad news.

Mobyturns
4th May 2016, 09:59 PM
Very sad day for Australian woodies - the loss of a "good bloke."

artme
4th May 2016, 10:28 PM
A very sad loss!!

Cliff Rogers
4th May 2016, 10:30 PM
Bugger.

fletty
4th May 2016, 10:59 PM
I can't believe it, far far too young to be taken from us all? RIP

Fletty

wheelinround
4th May 2016, 11:12 PM
RIP

Thats going to leave a big hole in this years wood shows.

Willy Nelson
5th May 2016, 12:13 AM
Bugger, That's sad news
I met Neil a few years ago when I did one of his master classes for a leaf platter and seed pod. I went home physically and mentally exhausted but over the moon with the course. It still is the best course I have ever done. Couldn't believe how much I learnt.
I met him again the next year, and despite him meeting hundreds of people every year, went out of his way to say hello to me, what a gentlemen, a wonderful turner and gifted teacher
Sincerely
Willy
Jarrahland

Mobyturns
5th May 2016, 07:10 AM
I met him again the next year, and despite him meeting hundreds of people every year, went out of his way to say hello to me, what a gentlemen, a wonderful turner and gifted teacher
Sincerely
Willy
Jarrahland

Willy, Anyone who has done a class with Neil or assisted him teach others in a workshop setting came away elated but exhausted from trying to keep up with him. I tried to explain Neil's remarkable talent for this and his outstanding memory to a very well known visiting international turner a few years back. After reading Linda Nathan's words I sat back and thought I don't think I have ever heard Neil say a bad word about anyone.

Chesand
5th May 2016, 07:59 AM
Very sad news. I will remember him by our coffee table built to his plan.

Christos
5th May 2016, 09:19 AM
Very sad to hear that he has passed away. My condolences to his family.

Rod Gilbert
5th May 2016, 09:31 AM
A very sad loss for wood workers Australia wide he certainly had a gift to share and share he did,thank you to his family for sharing him with us.
Regards Rod.

Simplicity
5th May 2016, 10:45 PM
A sad time for his family and the wider wood community

Scally
6th May 2016, 12:44 AM
I was shocked to hear that Neil had passed away.

I had known Neil for maybe 30 years. He was such a genuine guy who always had time to say hello and happy to help me solve any problems.
He once asked if he could use some of my photos for his Erosion carving which I was pleased to do.

His schools were always enjoyable and rewarding, complimented by the hospitality of Liz.
He even convinced me to come to a couple of wood carving workshops while we were enjoying a cold beer after a long day in his workshop.

His bowls and platters are instantly recognisable as are his cabinets, blanket boxes and leaf mirrors. Gracious curves and friendly edges. I try to incorporate his style into my woodwork.

My thoughts are with his family.