PDA

View Full Version : Brewing Season

red_budgie
17th May 2016, 06:02 PM
For those beer brewers like myself that don't have the equipment to chill (or heat) your fermentation process to keep it at the right temperature, do you have a time of the year that you brew in?

Here in Queensland, I've found that the best time is August to early-October. I generally do my brewing in these months to build up a stock for summer (when it is too hot to brew).

Nic0
18th May 2016, 06:08 PM
When i was up that way i was lucky enough to have a spot under the housing that held a resonably constant temperature so i could brew all year round but i did have to use chilled water in summer as the water coming out of the tap was to hot.

thumbsucker
4th November 2016, 11:30 AM
QLD is always relatively hot however the best approach is to brew beers relative to the season. Saison & many Belgium yeast strains can handle relatively hot fermentation temps as high as 25 - 30cº. German hefeweizen yeast is also relatively heat tolerant producing some interesting banana and bubblegum flavour.

With Australian winter being best for ales strains. Unless you live in Tasmania were you could use lager yeast at 1cº in winter.

I personally prefer to ferment at the lowest end of the yeast tolerance. It reduces fusel / hot alcohol and off flavours. I currently looking for a freezer free fridge in which I can ferment two kegs stacked on top of each other at the same time. Then I will start doing traditional 3 plus month lagering at 1cº.

Billy Bignutz
28th December 2016, 06:10 AM
I always try and ferment at lower end of temp range particularly US ales down to 17C but always finish off letting temp rise to 20c or so. I always temp control in fridge with cheap home made timers.