PDA

View Full Version : Gifted Lathe - Worth Keeping?

Redback
26th May 2016, 01:12 PM
Hi All,

Have recently been given an old lathe.
I have been doing some self education and I am not sure whether this lathe is worth keeping.

It is only 1/2 hp but the main issue is that it only came with a faceplate and a drill sized chuck.
Also the spindle bolt is fairly small (about 18mm) and cannot take any of the accessories i see at carbatec/timbecon etc (ie chucks, spur drive centres etc). ie it is just a solid thread.
See pictures attached.
I have looked online and cannot seem to find parts that would go on this.

Does anyone have a similiar setup and any advice

I am a complete novice as far as lathes are concerned.

chucky
26th May 2016, 02:27 PM
Hi Reback. keep consuming your fine BEERS as just one glass of this fantastic drink, is worth more in value than this type of so called lathe. Yes I was given one 15 or so years ago now its used as a land fill some where it belongs or may be, crushed for scrap metal.

malb
26th May 2016, 02:42 PM
The unit is a fairly cheap generic lathe that lacks rigidity. As a lathe they are not great, but they are better than nothing. A few people on the forums have opted to discard the bed assembly, mount the faceplate and set it up as a disc sander. Others have tried to offer them free on the forum with few takers.
Unfortunately a classic case of cheap Chinese product that vaguely looks the part, intended to part the unwary and their cash.

Redback
26th May 2016, 02:49 PM
Ah, yes i wasn't impressed with the rigidity or general quality. Turning it into a disc sander however has a quite a lot of merit, thanks for that idea!.

Ok, well i am really keen now to do some turning, because it got my interest up.
Just have to research now what is a good mid price lathe....

thanks for the feeback guys.

chucky
26th May 2016, 03:56 PM
Hi Malb, Yes I agree with your comments, i forgot to mention that we also had one at our club that has been turned in to a polisher.

Christos
26th May 2016, 04:15 PM
...Ok, well i am really keen now to do some turning, because it got my interest up.
Just have to research now what is a good mid price lathe.....

This lathe may not be the best as you have found out that accessories are a little bit harder to source. As suggested turn this into a disk sander.

As your interest has been sparked it might be worth while to look at joining a wood turning club or visiting someone that has a lathe. They could give you a rundown on their lathe and weather you really want to take up this part of the hobby. This is almost the path that I took before I started wood turning and I certainly don't want to discourage you in following this through.

China
26th May 2016, 04:16 PM
Also make a great polishing lathe does not matter how c&%p you spray all over it

Pat
26th May 2016, 04:33 PM
Yep, it's a lathe. Yep the build quality is minimal and Yep, you are better off modifying it.

It's the same design that I started with, some 13-14 years ago. It maybe a 3/4" spindle. To confirm, obtain some nuts or dies of known sizes or use verniers. To stiffen the ways, slide a fitting length of 3/4 ply under the base. This style lathe can get you interested enough to learn more about better lathes and give time for the Turning bug to bite.

Join a club or ask on this forum, if there is a member local to you that can drop over and provide some guidance.

Beware of the Turning Bug's bite, it doesn't bite you, it devours your wallet :U

Christos
26th May 2016, 05:02 PM
Beware of the Turning Bug's bite, it doesn't bite you, it devours your wallet :U

The only known cure is the other half finding out how much you spent. :kissing:

Sorry wrong smiley it's should have been this one. :slap2:

BobL
26th May 2016, 05:32 PM
At the mens shed we have been given about a dozen lathes including the same lathe as the one in the OP one.
We simply could not cope with this many lathes so we have sold some.
I think yours was sold for ~$40 which I was a bt embarrassed about as I said we should have given it away..

Sawdust Maker
26th May 2016, 08:06 PM
The only known cure is the other half finding out how much you spent. :kissing:

Sorry wrong smiley it's should have been this one. :slap2:

my mrs still talks about lathe dollars

Christos
27th May 2016, 07:44 PM
my mrs still talks about lathe dollars

That's because you keep spending. :U

Pat
28th May 2016, 07:54 AM
That's because you keep spending. :U

Don't we all?

Robert_M42
30th May 2016, 02:15 AM
Ah, yes i wasn't impressed with the rigidity or general quality. Turning it into a disc sander however has a quite a lot of merit, thanks for that idea!.

Ok, well i am really keen now to do some turning, because it got my interest up.
Just have to research now what is a good mid price lathe....

thanks for the feedback guys.

https://www.pennstateind.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=SEARCH&q=lathes

Check these out, I don't think you can go any less expensive for any better. I have the TurnCrafter Pro, with the extension that gives me 42", in length.

https://www.pennstateind.com/store/TCLC10XB.html

That old lathe of yours looks like a 3/4" Harbor Freight deal and they are NOT very sturdy.

The 10" lathes will let you turn, of course, a ten inch bowl, pens, pencils, and gewgaws, so if you want to turn larger bowls, you'll have to fork over 2 or 3 thousand for a "big" one.

'Ave a good day, mate.

BTW, you'll need https://www.pennstateind.com/store/LCGRINDSYS.html and https://www.pennstateind.com/store/LCHSS8.html for starters. If you get in deeper, you'll pick up more and more accessories.

ozwaz09
30th May 2016, 12:17 PM
I was gifted one of these some years ago. Cheap & nasty BUT - it got me started working on lathes. I am now ready to upgrade to my 3rd lathe.
So if it gets you started, well and good. Also, I am devastated I did not think of turning it into a disc sander. Bugger!

chrisb691
30th May 2016, 03:14 PM
The head section can be converted to a decent size disk sander fairly easily.

bowl-basher
30th May 2016, 09:09 PM
The other option is as a boat anchor