PDA

View Full Version : Best time to buy

Redback
30th May 2016, 04:46 PM
Hi All,
So am thinking of buying a new lathe (ref my post about the gifted lathe that will be turned into a disc sander..).

I have bought all my other gear (table saw, bandsaw, jointer/thicknesser, drill press etc) from either Timbecon or Carbatec and have been happy with them, so would have no issue with buying a lathe from either.

Thinking of either the MC900 or MC 1100. Doing a quick forum search seems people think these are ok. I don't want to spend a fortune, but want a good quality starter machine, so i don't need to upgrade anytime soon.

Would i be better off waiting till closer to EOFY or possibly the wood show in Perth (early August). Would I be able to get much of a better price or package deal? (ie some chisels or chuck thrown in) or would the difference be marginal if i just went and got one now? Anyone at the Brissy show see if prices were discounted?

Also, whats a good source for blanks in the Perth metro area? I found the wood guy in Naval Base...any others recommended?

cheers
RB

hughie
30th May 2016, 07:24 PM
Go with the MC1100 the extra length is real handy when your leaning over the bed as the tailstock is further back. The MC range are a good beginners lathe with cast iron bed etc. The design is fine although the manufacture is very ordinary as you will find many sharp edges that need dressing or fettling with a file. Pay attention to Ali pulleys on the vari speed are as often they have sharp edges that will shred your belt. If it has direct from China the belt will be crap, use itll it breaks and buy an Aussie made one and all will be good.
Ok this sounds like a put down but once you have done the fettling etc you will have a good lathe for the price that will last for along time. I had one for over five years and give it away to a good mate of mine.
If your handy at engineering theres a few threads here on upgrades and mods to the MC1100 well worth a read. I modified my one quite heavily with electronic 3 phase variable speed, up graded the headstock locking device etc . Got to a stage where it could swing 15-20kg blank and when running empty it was steady enough the balance a $1 coin on edge.

Blanks etc. Find out what is good for turning in your area and look up your local tree lopper. Ideally you want to try and avoid buying blanks as a way of obtain turning material. It will get expensiveness and eat way any accessories budget you may have.
If you dont have you might want to get a smallish chainsaw, say 16" or maybe 18". I went the cheap route initially not really a good idea. But it all boils down to what your budget is, but either way a chainsaw is very handy if not a must.

dai sensei
30th May 2016, 07:31 PM
If you want to save a penny try the secondhand market, plenty of good heavy duty lathes available as us older generation fall off our perches

Old Croc
30th May 2016, 08:18 PM
If you want to save a penny try the secondhand market, plenty of good heavy duty lathes available as us older generation fall off our perches
Hey I resemble that remark.
Crocy.

Redback
31st May 2016, 07:21 PM
Thanks Hughie. I will check out the tree loppers. Sounds like a good idea.

Redback
31st May 2016, 07:23 PM
I have been checking out gumtree for secondhand lathes. Havent been impressed with the few available. Not too much going around in Perth area.

Christos
31st May 2016, 07:46 PM
I have been checking out gumtree for secondhand lathes. Havent been impressed with the few available. Not too much going around in Perth area.

Sometimes it just requires a bit of patience or a lot.

When I picked up my first lathe it just so happen to have a whole bunch come up after that. :U

stuffy
1st June 2016, 02:47 PM
The best thing you could do is join the Woodturners Association
Woodturners WA - Home (http://woodturnerswa.com/)
Wandi group is close by, they have a great club.

Woodturners like to help beginners and the club can help you learn safely, have access to timber and often know of lathes for sale locally and can advise you prior to purchase.

Best wishes

Steve.

bueller
1st June 2016, 10:32 PM
This is good advice. I keep a close eye on Gumtree and you should be able to get a good deal if you're not in a huge rush and can wait for the right seller.

Search the Gumtree garage sales too, I see deceased estates with woodworking gear advertised there quite often.

You might have to be quick on a Tough or Woodfast lathe through, I've been looking for a good one of those for a while [emoji23]