PDA

View Full Version : Waldown type NH drill

mattm82
3rd June 2016, 11:53 AM
Hi all,

Looking to pick the brains trust here. Does anyone know what type of chuck fits on to the older 12,000 rpm max model?

I have just acquired one through Grays online (where they totally stuffed the auction) that doesn't have a chuck. It does have a taper to fit the chuck on to and it looks like a Jacobs taper #1 to me but would like to confirm.

If so would this Chuck be suitable? I'm figuring it might be as my other Waldowns have Jacobs chucks on them too.

http://www.jacobschuck.com/keyed-chucks/jacobs-6206d-1a-1-plain-bearing-medium-duty-1-4-chuck.html

I also have a newer, single phase 18,000 rpm model on its way to me in superb condition so I'm hoping to fix up the older one and move it on.

Thanks for your help.

Matt

Zsteve
3rd June 2016, 09:27 PM
hi Matt,

Think these chucks are fitted directly to the spindle on a what is probably a J taper not a morse taper. The chuck you linked to fits on a special taper (1JT) - a short taper that's the reference to the 'mount' in the specifications, not sure if the IJT will fit on or not.

there is an image in another post on this site to specifications http://www.woodworkforums.com/f65/waldown-speed-175815

there is online information wi th specifications for all these short tapers however its likely to be a common taper. I am in Canberra and would potentially be interested if you are moving one of these drills on :rolleyes:.

mattm82
3rd June 2016, 11:17 PM
ZSteve, that is possibly the best bit of info on these drills I've come across. Thank you!
I'm happy to discuss you acquiring the three phase model if you are interested.
PM me and we can chat.
Cheers

DSEL74
5th June 2016, 09:11 AM
The NH from memory has a much smaller chuck than what is on a standard bench Waldown it holds a smaller Dia. Range of drills.

mattm82
6th June 2016, 03:06 PM
The NH from memory has a much smaller chuck than what is on a standard bench Waldown it holds a smaller Dia. Range of drills.

Thanks DSEL74,

I guess I'll wait til my other arrives to assess it. Was just hoping to start sourcing one.

Zsteve
13th June 2016, 11:00 PM
According to McPhersons catalogues it looks like these Waldown NH drills were six speeds as standard up to the 1966 edition catalogue. After that they went to four speeds for some time 3000, 6000, 9000 & 12000. Not sure when the option for the two pulley sets A (four speeds) and B(two speeds) was introduced.

Matt, maybe you found it, but in the thread linked above is also an owners manual ( in addition to the brobo 2 page brochure). If you can't find it let me know.

mattm82
8th July 2016, 04:07 PM
According to McPhersons catalogues it looks like these Waldown NH drills were six speeds as standard up to the 1966 edition catalogue. After that they went to four speeds for some time 3000, 6000, 9000 & 12000. Not sure when the option for the two pulley sets A (four speeds) and B(two speeds) was introduced.

Matt, maybe you found it, but in the thread linked above is also an owners manual ( in addition to the brobo 2 page brochure). If you can't find it let me know.

Thanks Zsteve, I finally managed to get on to a computer and located the file. Thanks very much. I have since sold the drill as is so didn't need to get a new chuck. I have also collected my other NH drill, which is in great condition. I will have look through the manual, should answer my questions about the pulley set up to get the higher speeds. Having said that I am not sure what circumstance will require me to drill at 18,000 rpm.