PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using a Laguna REVO 18-36?

Luke Maddux
7th June 2016, 09:18 AM
I'm moving back to the U.S. soon, and I've all but settled on a Laguna REVO 18-36 lathe.

Right now I have a 2HP 1642 lathe. I can't live without the EVS ever again. I'm also super happy with the weight and power of the lathe, as well as the bed length. Unfortunately that one is 50Hz power so it's destined to stay in Australia.

The Laguna will cause me to lose a bit of bed length, but by adding the extension if necessary, I will end up gaining some. I'm also gaining two inches of bowl diameter, which is good, because I've had the 16er maxed out a few times.

So I guess I'm looking for anyone who can comment on this lathe. It seems to be at the top of its class price-wise. Has anyone used it and liked it? Hated it?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Cheers,
Luke

Gabriel
7th June 2016, 09:39 AM
Shoot a message to dave TTC, pretty sure that's the rig he is sporting at the moment (well, the most recent and probably the only one he owns thst was made this -or the last- century)

rtyuiop
7th June 2016, 10:46 AM
Can't comment on the laguna - but I say grab yourself a vicmarc while you're here, if you're shipping a container back home anyway ;). I reckon there's a reasonable chance vicmarc could even do you one with a US spindle thread...

Luke Maddux
7th June 2016, 11:06 AM
Can't comment on the laguna - but I say grab yourself a vicmarc while you're here, if you're shipping a container back home anyway ;). I reckon there's a reasonable chance vicmarc could even do you one with a US spindle thread...

Even with the conversion rate, a VL200, which is the comparable model, costs more than I want to spend on a lathe. I have enjoyed using the Vicmarc lathes I've used in the past, but let's be honest here... You're paying 1200-1500 dollars JUST for the fact that it's made here and not in China (he said, knowing this wouldn't end well). Yes, they're great. Yes, they're better than most Chinese lathes. Yes, I would prefer to support a smaller scale operation that pays people a living wage. (I encourage everyone to read those last three sentences at least twice while you take some deep breaths). But I'm looking at a 9000 mile move involving the world's largest ocean, so cost is, unfortunately, a major factor.

Plus, I feel like I've done the whole song and dance of owning machinery that comes from an overseas based company and I don't want to unnecessarily put myself in that position again. Laguna, while outsourcing their manufacture, is still based Stateside.

And now I wait for inevitable derailing of my entire thread because I said something borderline negative about Vicmarc...

gidgee 1
7th June 2016, 11:09 AM
Hi Luke
I have the Revo 18-36,only for a month,so far very pleased with the unit.I also have the Nova 3000 so the step up in everything is substantial.It is a pleasure to use.
Good luck with your return home and enjoy the timber you are taking with you.
Cheers
Gidgee1

rtyuiop
7th June 2016, 11:11 AM
All true! Sorry, didn't mean to start a potential derailment. Hopefully it doesn't happen.

Luke Maddux
7th June 2016, 11:15 AM
All true! Sorry, didn't mean to start a potential derailment. Hopefully it doesn't happen.

Would be my fault, not yours. Nonetheless I've copped it in the past for saying even less than I did there, haha. People love Vicmarc! Believe me, if I could afford it I'd have one. FWIW I considered that option but the price and fact that it's an Aus-based company were the tipping points

Cheers,
Luke

Luke Maddux
7th June 2016, 11:18 AM
Hi Luke
I have the Revo 18-36,only for a month,so far very pleased with the unit.I also have the Nova 3000 so the step up in everything is substantial.It is a pleasure to use.
Good luck with your return home and enjoy the timber you are taking with you.
Cheers
Gidgee1

Thanks for that, gidgee. Just out of curiosity, what kind of turning do you do?

My range is pretty broad. In the past year I've mostly used it for tool handles and furniture parts, but I occasionally make a lengthy departure from furniture and do some serious faceplate turning. With a big move coming up, I expect I will be turning some bowls and plates for our new house.

Cheers,
Luke

gidgee 1
7th June 2016, 11:30 AM
Luke
I do a varied range of turning,not a lot of long spindle turning and these days I rarely turn max diameter.Have been concentrating more on segmented turning of late.
If you do buy the Revo ,before you put the wheels on,check out how much of a trip hazard they may be.
Cheers
Gidgee 1

Luke Maddux
7th June 2016, 11:39 AM
Luke
If you do buy the Revo ,before you put the wheels on,check out how much of a trip hazard they may be.
Cheers
Gidgee 1

I've thought about this... The way I see it, the thing has five major, heavy parts. Two leg assemblies, the bed ways, the headstock, and the tailstock. Unless it's drastically heavier than my current lathe, which is very similar size-wise, then it can be moved fairly easily in a passenger car by one able-bodied person who disassembles it (I know mine can).

So I reckon the wheels are unnecessary. I have no reason to move the lathe around the shop on a regular basis, so it's likely to go from one fixed position in a workshop to the next, whenever I move again. If I had to move it for some reason, I can just "walk" it like I do the one I have now.

For this reason, I'll likely forego the mobility upgrade.

Paul39
7th June 2016, 12:42 PM
I'm moving back to the U.S. soon, and I've all but settled on a Laguna REVO 18-36 lathe.

Right now I have a 2HP 1642 lathe. I can't live without the EVS ever again. I'm also super happy with the weight and power of the lathe, as well as the bed length. Unfortunately that one is 50Hz power so it's destined to stay in Australia.

Cheers,
Luke

Assuming the input to your existing lathe is 240 volts single phase, it should work fine here. Ask the maker of the lathe to be sure. If you have other reasons to buy a new lathe, that is OK too.

Luke Maddux
7th June 2016, 01:24 PM
Assuming the input to your existing lathe is 240 volts single phase, it should work fine here. Ask the maker of the lathe to be sure. If you have other reasons to buy a new lathe, that is OK too.

Hi Paul,

It's about frequency. Australia uses 50Hz power while, in the US, we use 60Hz. Because the rotational speed of an induction motor is directly proportional to frequency, it's just not possible to run an Australian induction motor on a US power supply without bad things happening.

At least that is what I've read and been told. Can you comment on whether or not that is correct?

Cheers,
Luke

TongueTied
7th June 2016, 01:25 PM
I'm not sure I'm following this correctly but you are planning on having 240/220V in your new workshop? Here it isn't an issue but most US homes need an expensive electrical upgrade to get 240/220V into a workshop. So, if you do plan to put in 240/220V, then, how much is the Laguna going to cost you compared to other lathes here? I presume you are going to ship your stuff and a lathe, when disassembled, doesn't take up that much space so it would be a minor impact, if any, on your shipping. It is worth checking into the shipping costs with some of the moving companies before deciding if you buy here or buy there. Shipping a few boxes can cost you more than shipping a full container. The shipping companies can estimate your volume and my experience with them is that they can be very accurate. If you are shipping less than a full container then buying state-side is probably going to work out cheaper. From the little I have looked, the Laguna 18-36 looks like it would cost US$2499 (equivalent of AU$3390) in the US. If I'm not mistaken, the VL200 is about that price. So, if I was making that decision, it would come down to a question of how I was shipping my stuff and if the lathe would add anything.

Luke Maddux
7th June 2016, 01:38 PM
I'm not sure I'm following this correctly but you are planning on having 240/220V in your new workshop? Here it isn't an issue but most US homes need an expensive electrical upgrade to get 240/220V into a workshop. So, if you do plan to put in 240/220V, then, how much is the Laguna going to cost you compared to other lathes here? I presume you are going to ship your stuff and a lathe, when disassembled, doesn't take up that much space so it would be a minor impact, if any, on your shipping. It is worth checking into the shipping costs with some of the moving companies before deciding if you buy here or buy there. Shipping a few boxes can cost you more than shipping a full container. The shipping companies can estimate your volume and my experience with them is that they can be very accurate. If you are shipping less than a full container then buying state-side is probably going to work out cheaper. From the little I have looked, the Laguna 18-36 looks like it would cost US$2499 (equivalent of AU$3390) in the US. If I'm not mistaken, the VL200 is about that price. So, if I was making that decision, it would come down to a question of how I was shipping my stuff and if the lathe would add anything.

We're doing an LCL (less than container load) shipment, so the lathe will add cost there.

I would need the VL200 with the long bed, which I believe was around AU$4400. The Laguna also uses the same thread as my machine which is a savings of around $80 - 100 there (three scroll chuck refits).

So the VL200 would, without a doubt, add a considerable amount of cost. I would estimate US$1000 or more.

I had better don my bullet proof vest for this... but I'm also not necessarily convinced it would functionally be any better. I've really read nothing but good things about the REVO 18-36. I think the VL200, from memory, has a 1.75HP motor as well, compared to the Laguna's 2HP. I've heard the whole "Chinese horsepower vs Australian horsepower" argument but I've been rocking two Chinese horses for a while and they have served me well. Plus it has extra swing and can accommodate outboard turning up to 32" diameter.

TongueTied
7th June 2016, 02:08 PM
The VL200 LB seem to range from $2400 to $5900 depending on the bells and whistles. But, since you are shipping less than a container load, I'd say wait until you get to the US before you buy. One thing that probably isn't important with either the Vicmarc or the Laguna is the warranty. Neither is going to give you trouble but if something does go wrong, having bought in the US when you are living there, you will be able to claim locally. I know both machines are very reliable but the peace of mind may be worth waiting till you get state-side.

Luke Maddux
7th June 2016, 02:22 PM
... having bought in the US when you are living there, you will be able to claim locally. I know both machines are very reliable but the peace of mind may be worth waiting till you get state-side.

Now THAT, I hadn't actually thought about. Good point

Paul39
8th June 2016, 02:03 AM
Hi Paul,

It's about frequency. Australia uses 50Hz power while, in the US, we use 60Hz. Because the rotational speed of an induction motor is directly proportional to frequency, it's just not possible to run an Australian induction motor on a US power supply without bad things happening.

At least that is what I've read and been told. Can you comment on whether or not that is correct?

Cheers,
Luke

Running 50 cycle (Hz) on 60 cycle power and the reverse: Motors: Changing between a 50 and 60Hz supply. - Electric motors & generators engineering FAQ - Eng-Tips (http://www.eng-tips.com/faqs.cfm?fid=1224)

I am an old geezer who was taught cycles, renamed Hertz later. I used cycles below.

With an AC variable speed drive the single phase alternating current is converted to direct current and then to 3 phase alternating current with a variable frequency. The 3 phase alternating current motor's speed is controlled by the frequency. When you dial the speed of the lathe up or down, you are changing the frequency, usually with a working speed of 1/4 to twice the "normal" frequency of the motor. 50 cycles in AU, 60 cycles in the US.

With a direct current variable speed drive the alternating current is changed to direct current which runs a direct current motor. The variable speed comes from changing the voltage relationship between the rotor and stator, or in permanent magnet motors, chopping the direct current into small pieces.

The Basics of Variable-Frequency Drives (http://ecmweb.com/power-quality/basics-variable-frequency-drives)

https://www.joliettech.com/products/dc-variable-speed-drives/dc-drive-fundamentals/

I am of the opinion that whatever variable speed system you have, as long as the voltage matches, 50 or 60 cycle will work. Best to check with the people who made the lathe.

You will have to decide the cost / benefit of moving your lathe or selling and buying in the US.

There is an advantage of buying locally, it is nice to be able to set a broken or burned out part on the counter within the warranty and ask for a new one, as opposed to dealing with the problem half way around the world.

Luke Maddux
8th June 2016, 10:57 AM
Thanks, Paul. All worth considering, and completely different than what I had understood. This is the first time anyone has actually addressed the variable speed module in the equation. I was always under the impression that it would complicate things, but based on your description, it would actually be the solution to the problem.

I've called Jet, who sell the same lathe (it's the generic, rebrandable Taiwanese) and the guy was absolutely useless. It was the most unimpressive customer service call I've ever made. The conversation was basically, in many more words:

"How does this work?"

"Sorry, man. I just don't know the answer"

"Ok, so can you direct me to someone who does?"

"No, sorry. I'm the lead technician at Jet USA. I simply can't help you."

Yet another reason I want to buy another one... That said, I've heard Laguna's customer service is horrific.

Cheers,
Luke

Paul39
8th June 2016, 11:28 AM
Luke,

assuming your's is a clone of this one, here is the manual which states the control.

http://content.jettools.com/assets/manuals/708359_man_EN.pdf

JWL-1642EVS, 16" x 42" EVS PRO Wood Lathe, 1-1/2HP (http://www.jettools.com/us/en/p/jwl-1642evs-16-x-42-evs-pro-wood-lathe-1-1-2hp/708359)

Luke Maddux
8th June 2016, 12:15 PM
Hi Paul,

I'm showing my level of expertise here, but what exactly am I looking for in the manual that answers my question?

Cheers,
Luke

Old Croc
8th June 2016, 09:27 PM
Hi Luke,
The Mods will definitely shoot me for this post, but here goes. I have the Laguna 24-36 and I bought it because it does the work I do that a blue lathe did not suit me to do. If you look up Sawmill Creek, they have done the reviews on the Laguna 18-36 and the equivalent Grizzly to death, both good machines. If I was living over there, I would buy a Robust American Beauty. Saw them at that big shop in Las Vegas, beside the blue ones. BTW where are you going to settle?
Rgds,
Crocy.

Luke Maddux
8th June 2016, 10:11 PM
Croc,

Looking at Seattle.

I looked at Robust. I've had a great experience with Sawstop and would love to continue to buy American made, but they're in another realm of pricing from where I operate. I'm not that serious of a wood turner, i just hate to be limited by what my tools will do. The 1836, and especially with the extension bed, will do all I will ever need a lathe to do.

Cheers,
Luke

Paul39
9th June 2016, 01:14 AM
Hi Paul,

I'm showing my level of expertise here, but what exactly am I looking for in the manual that answers my question?

Cheers,
Luke

It just admits that the variable speed system is the 3 phase AC rather than the DC.

If you are going to Seattle, you should be able to go to show rooms and look at and operate many different lathes to get a comparison.

https://www.grizzly.com/showrooms for one.

ian
9th June 2016, 06:26 AM
Hi Luke

have you investigated getting a 120V motor for your lathe? It should be available as a spare part.

In terms of relocating a 240V 50Hz motor to the US, Paul's links say

looking at the case shifting a 50Hz motor to 60Hz duty.
a) It will turn 20% faster.
b) The cooling will increase dramatically.
c) The load's horsepower requirement will increase, possibly dramatically.
d) The V/f will drop which will not cause a current draw increase.

Luke Maddux
9th June 2016, 08:40 AM
Hi Luke

have you investigated getting a 120V motor for your lathe? It should be available as a spare part.

In terms of relocating a 240V 50Hz motor to the US, Paul's links say

looking at the case shifting a 50Hz motor to 60Hz duty.
a) It will turn 20% faster.
b) The cooling will increase dramatically.
c) The load's horsepower requirement will increase, possibly dramatically.
d) The V/f will drop which will not cause a current draw increase.

I read an article that said that it had potential to smoke on startup somewhere.

I dunno... end of the day the lathe would be a modest upgrade and would be supported by a company in the same time zone. I'll probably still sell and upgrade.

Cheers,
Luke

ian
9th June 2016, 10:21 AM
Smoking on start-up appears to be a possibility for a 60Hz motor running on 50Hz

Luke Maddux
9th June 2016, 11:12 AM
Smoking on start-up appears to be a possibility for a 60Hz motor running on 50Hz

Ah, ok. Got the two confused.

I guess it's just a lot to take in that I don't really understand, so I want to play it safe.

Old Croc
9th June 2016, 09:13 PM
Croc,

Looking at Seattle.

I looked at Robust. I've had a great experience with Sawstop and would love to continue to buy American made, but they're in another realm of pricing from where I operate. I'm not that serious of a wood turner, i just hate to be limited by what my tools will do. The 1836, and especially with the extension bed, will do all I will ever need a lathe to do.

Cheers,
Luke
Well seeing your going there, PM Robo hippy on this forum and seek his advice on the Grizzly and local pricing.
Rgds,
Crocy.