PDA

View Full Version : Camphor Bowl in Aussie Oil

Pat
11th June 2016, 05:25 PM
I finally got round to it, I had this little Camphor Laurel bowl core and got bored of the technically interesting turning jobs I have been doing of late. Time for a simple bowl. Salad/Fruit size 300mm x 60mm.

I've been using Aussie Oil since September last year on pens and decided to test it on a bowl. The bowl is sanded to 600#, then EEE at 1000rpm. 4 coats of Aussie oil. Use less Aussie Oil progressively, ie enough to cover a 50 cent piece for the first coat, then less each coat.

I have left the spigot, as I am yet to decide if it needs the extra height.

chambezio
11th June 2016, 05:32 PM
Pat that's a very handsome bowl!!!! Does the Aussie Oil need EEE underneath? Or is it a little slow to build up? (Nosey bugger aren't I)

smiife
11th June 2016, 05:36 PM
Hi pat, looks like it has come up a treat
Well done !:cool:

Uncle Al
11th June 2016, 05:47 PM
Good size bowl, should hold plenty of jelly beans. Aussie Oil is a very nice product, haven't tried it on bowls as yet.
I like the shape, but the base may not be big enough for stability, IMHO.

Alan...

Pat
11th June 2016, 06:08 PM
Chambezio, Aussie oil works as well if you sand to 600#, but the EEE is to polish the wood and provides a better base level of shine for what ever finish you choose. You can work EEE to a vivid luster.

Al, I tend to agree with you. I'll look at it tomorrow morning and decide, but the whirring noise you hear is my Longsworth chuck warming up :U

Thanks for the kind comments, tomorrow also brings cutting pen blanks to size, drilling and glueing and finishing 2 150mm spheres, there is minimal margin for fun in those.:-

wheelinround
11th June 2016, 07:28 PM
Nice colour Pat I hope the slice I got off Old Croc today is as nice :U

The foot needs to be larger maybe a 3 legged type something fancy

crowie
11th June 2016, 09:53 PM
Very pretty bowl Pat....

Sawdust Maker
11th June 2016, 10:25 PM
Nice bit of wood - looks a treat

I'd say the foot looks a tad small

StevoWoodi
16th June 2016, 08:36 PM
That is indeed a very good looking bowl. In a recent demo by Richard Raffan that I attended he mentioned that the "normal" proportions for the foot of a bowl would be 1/3 to 1/2 of the diameter.

While many of the bowls that I make conform to this I think it is always good to see something a little different and the small foot does tend to give this large bowl some mystery (where is the foot?) that it would not otherwise have.

I sell a few bowls at a local market and one of the many things that I have learned is that not everyone has same taste and not everyone likes the "normal" proportions.

I am a fan of the small base, perhaps because it does not conform.

Cheers,

Steve

Paul39
22nd June 2016, 12:42 PM
Pat,

Nice bowl, nice finish. If you have enough thickness in the bottom a dished base around 1/2 the diameter of the bowl would make it a useful practical bowl. You could also just round it off and make a rocking bowl, as Richard Raffan suggested in one of his books.

Christos
22nd June 2016, 06:40 PM
Nice bowl.

I vote for a rounded bottom.

Greg Ward
22nd June 2016, 07:12 PM
Pat!
Great work!
Greg