PDA

View Full Version : dumb

Wigwood
23rd June 2016, 08:56 PM
I did a really dumb thing today, I have a sharpening station set up on a mechanics type tool cabinet. I was in the middle of polishing the back of a chisel when I knocked my Sorby Proedge off onto the ground, tears and some french words later...... Damn, it is now a bit wonky and I can't get it to run true.....I will have to try and send it to the dealer to see if I can get it fixed....My own silly fault though!:banghead: But, my point is, don't put things off, I had been saying to myself for ages "I must really secure that properly" but I was always to eager to turn good wood into sawdust and not do jobs that should be done!

Anyone else have a story like this! I certainly learnt my lesson! :oops:

Wiggy

Gabriel
23rd June 2016, 09:24 PM
You poor bugger....Whilst i don't have a tale of woe like that, I still have a number of years left in me and quite regularly put things off so I'm sure it's only a matter of time...
Thanks for the warning though

Gab

Christos
24th June 2016, 02:49 PM
I once jammed a bolt in a spinning grinder wheel which stopped instantly. :sayitaintso: This caused the wheel to spin out of center after removing the bolt. I was lucky that the main shaft was not pushed out of alignment.

Ubernoob
24th June 2016, 10:16 PM
I was swearing at my drill press tonight for being a useless thing constantly stalling and burning wood when using holesaws.

Turned out the driven pulley's grub screw had come loose and would spin if loaded up, it also caused the annoying vibration that I have been experiencing on the last few uses. If only I had popped the top sooner and noticed both pulleys spinning when the chuck had stalled, luckily I didn't damage anything costly like the OP.

It really had me confused as I could drill a 50mm hole through Tassie Oak but as soon as it got 1mm down in Tallow it would stop, as would a drill bit.

Mobyturns
25th June 2016, 09:19 AM
I regulary look at things in my shed come garage and think it would be nice to do this or that but I have to settle for using a multi purpose work space. Its not ideal but there are still lots of small things we can do to make things safer or to keep our machinery in good working order. Having the time is another matter.

woodPixel
26th June 2016, 01:07 AM
About once a month, I go through a simple set of steps to help keep me safe and productive... Clean and align the table saw, lathe, band saw and belt sander, plus a very thorough vacuum, de-dust and tidy everything up.

Confessions need to be had about aligning the saw however, it's been skipped for a bit, also changing the oil in the car.

Putting things off results in tears.

Thanks for the OP, it reminds me that a tiny bit of prevention can save considerable cost later.