PDA

View Full Version : Black mould growing on green blanks

Oddy
24th June 2016, 10:11 PM
Next challenge in dealing with the green wood I scored after recent storms - black mould.
I was lucky to score some large trunk sections (up to 70cm diameter) from a tree that fell in my street during recent storms. To cut down on drying time I cut some of these into bowl blanks and some smaller sections for spindle turning. I also rough turned one of the green bowl blanks to see how it would go. One week later and all the cut sections have black mould spots appearing all over them. All these pieces are currently on a bench in the garage with good 360deg air circulation, but they are still very moist.

Thinking I will try a borax solution on them first and if that's not very effective bleach is probably the next step.

Anyone successfully use anything else to kill off mould?

Anything that can be used / done to prevent it in the first place?

Nubsnstubs
25th June 2016, 02:01 AM
Oddy, bag'm in a plastic bag. Look at them in a couple weeks. If the wood is still solid, give'm another 2 weeks, and repeat until you think you're ready to find out what you created. The mold is the starting of the spalting process. Once you achieve the spalting that looks good, remove the pieces from the bag, rough turn and let'm air dry. I did that once, and got a beautiful piece when done......Jerry (in Tucson)

smiife
25th June 2016, 04:55 PM
:aro-u:What he said ,
Just don, t leave it too long or it will go
punky, it can create a very nice piece of
timber with spalated lines through the grain
experiment with it and you will be pleased with
the outcome i am sure :2tsup:
This is a piece i let go too far............

Oddy
25th June 2016, 06:47 PM
I wanted to kill it, not grow it! :D
Ok, maybe I will let a couple go and see what I end up with....
thanks for the suggestions.... I think :)

hughie
25th June 2016, 09:40 PM
All in means the environment where you stored them has a high humidity. If are worried about it just separate them out and dont clump them all together. Then just brush off the mould and keep an eye on it to see if it returns.
I had a similar problem with Blackwood, just spread them around the shop although my humidity is still a bit 50-60% the mould has not returned.

dai sensei
25th June 2016, 10:16 PM
As Hughie says, still too much moisture. You could dip them in a mould killer, available from your hardware/garden shop, but a well ventilated spot is still needed afterwards.

Paul39
26th June 2016, 12:56 AM
As Hughie says, still too much moisture. You could dip them in a mould killer, available from your hardware/garden shop, but a well ventilated spot is still needed afterwards.

Around here the mold killer for scrubbing decks & outside walls is 1 part household bleach to 3 parts water. I would make up a bucket of this and slosh your blanks in that for a few minutes and drain.

I heard at a turning demo, or read that a soak in lemon juice of a roughed out bowl will prevent mold.

Bleach is cheaper than lemon juice so I bleach.

Here we have lots of rotting organic matter on the ground, so if I want spalting I just let a piece sit on the ground 6 months to a year.

dai sensei
26th June 2016, 09:45 AM
Around here the mold killer for scrubbing decks & outside walls is 1 part household bleach to 3 parts water..

Be careful of bleaches, although it works many timbers are damaged by it, it tends to break down the fibres

Drillit
26th June 2016, 11:36 AM
Hello Oddy,
Do not use Bleach. I suggest & use a mix of metho and white vinegar. Does the trick. Drillit.