PDA

View Full Version : Triton Newbie

Angelo
24th January 2000, 05:26 PM
Hello everyone,

I have been looking at the 2000 workcentre. I am a newbie to woodwork and have been progressing my skills over the last six months and would like to get hold of some better tools to make life a bit easier and efficient. How practical are these units to use? I am curious about the accuracy of the work that can be produced and if they are comparable to dedicated table saws if used carefully? Everybody happy with the router/jigsaw table?
I saw the 2000 at Hardware House for $514. Is this a good price?

Any help with making a decision would be most appreciated.

Regards,
Angelo

Mark Woodward
24th January 2000, 06:35 PM
Hi Angelo,
It's not up there with a dedicated table saw but will do everything I need it to. (A Newbie the same as you). The router top fits ON the 2000 so you don't really need the table. Sure it would be handy, but maybe you could get one later when it's on special. Speaking of prices, my 2K cost $479 from mitre 10. They routinely have it on special for some reason so if you want to hang off for a while you'll get it cheaper than you've been quoted.
Mark

AlexS
25th January 2000, 10:21 AM
I've used a Mk3 and router top for a few years and am really happy with them both. The accuracy is impressive - square IS square.

Look around for them to be on special.

Alex

Richard
29th January 2000, 09:39 PM
Triton workcenter 2000 as new in box $330ono!!! But ya better be quick !! Phone 02 4324-8228

barrysumpter
30th January 2000, 08:33 AM
Angelo,
When purchasing a Triton WorkCentre 2000 - be sure to take advantage of the Pricing Wars between HardwareHouse and Bunnings. One store will match the other stores lower prices and subtract another 10%. I saved about $50 on the Triton saw and another $30 on the sliding extention table.
This is everyday not a special or year end stock reduction. So there's no waiting. I waited for ever for a W2K in the tading post and I'm glad I purchased a new one instead.
I also had questions regarding the accuracy before I purchased the Triton saw. But used properly and checked regularly I'm now confident about its accuracy.
I have a family friend who has payed $3500 for a used $7000 whiz-bang do-everythang tablesaw/thicknesser with a steelcasted frame. He's a professional and is prepared to pay this sort of money.

------------------
Thanks,
Barry G. Sumpter

[This message has been edited by barrysumpter (edited 30 January 2000).]

TAFFY
30th January 2000, 09:15 PM
Angelo,
I am just a hanyman, but I have had a Triton work centre for about 10 years (wife wanted a new kitchen deal was if I can have the Triton I would build it)I think from the feed back from profesionals that we saved around $2500 on the finished product.
I now have the old mark3 newseries which has been used for everything from cabinet making to cutting steel for a carport.
a new 2000 that my dear wife bought me for xmas , a set of the old style superjaws that I use for anything that needs holing still,a stand (not the one with rollers)plus of course all the home made jigs that help with various projects.
I cannot speak Highly enough of the work centre although some that have tried it have found it over rated I think that is because they are unable to get the best out of any tools.
If you do get one take the time to familiarise yourself with it I am sure you will find it an asset in your workshop.

good luck
Taffy

Noel Butcher
1st February 2000, 01:53 PM
I have found the 2k quite accurate with its cuts if you have taken the time to set it up properly. You also need to have a quality saw with no arbor float. If you are going to buy a 2k it is probably worth your while to buy the latest version with the pressed steel mounting plate. The 2k without the pressed steel plate will not be able to accept the saw depth adjuster that is apparently coming out sometime in late March. It was supposed to be here this month but I rang Triton and was told late March (probably going to cost about $35.00 but the bloke who told me said don't hold him too it).
I use an Hitachi C9 in my Triton. I have a 60 tooth TCT blade. Once set up it is certainly accurate for my needs.

George
3rd February 2000, 05:25 PM
One question: do you already own a trade quality 9.25" circular saw(ie. makita or hitachi)? If not the cost of getting into a Triton becomes similar to a dedicated table saw.
Quick calculation
Triton 2000 ($480), saw ($330), decent blade ($80), dust collection ($70), saw stabiliser ($35), wheels ($20) gives a total of $1015.
For not a lot more you could have the performance and durability of a JET or DELTA 10" contractors saw with cast iron tables.

You may think the Triton offers better versatility (eg cross cut and table saw modes) but who can be bothered changing over, especially if the dust bag is attached. I have a Triton 2000 and have recently purchased a sliding compound mitre saw to get around this and other short falls.

I would happily swap my Triton for a JET contractors saw now. As a dedicated table saw the Triton is not ideal. Height adjustment of the blade is difficult (add an extra $x for the height winder), and having to lock the fence at both ends is a pain. Also the mitre slot is not ideal and tends to be a bit sloppy.

My honest opinion is that while a Triton may seem like a better deal up front, if you are serious about woodwork you will outgrow it. The yearning for dedicated tools (table saw + mitre saw) kicks in after a couple of years.
Regards
George

Noel Butcher
5th February 2000, 03:57 PM
With regard to the table saw versus Triton argument the points about the table saw are valid but remnember that if you buy the triton saw it comes with a decent blade and allegedely doesn't need the stabiliser ( I don't know if this is so as I have not used a triton saw). Also I dont know how transportable the table saw is or whether or not being able to move it around is important to every user. It is logical for every user of whatever equipment to balance their needs and or requirements with their budget and make a decision from there.

Noel Butcher
5th February 2000, 04:02 PM
Ps..... Please excuse the large number of typing errors in my last post. I forgot to check it before sending it.
As an addendum to my last message regarding George and the table saw, George mentions that the mitre slot is a bit sloppy. The manual/video does suggest that you apply downward pressure to the mitre doohickey so that it is firmly in the correct position.