PDA

View Full Version : Blackwood for the "right" price

Phily
10th July 2016, 10:58 PM
I was kindly offered around a ute load of Blackwood logs (need to be cut and carted) from Robertson, NSW Highlands. As I already have literally tons of Blackwood I passed but said I'd pass on the offer to Forum members. Suggest that it would be safer to have a couple of folk on the job. If anyone is interested please PM me and I'll provide the contact details.
Cheers
Phil

Phily
14th July 2016, 08:38 AM
Looks like no interest so I've told the owners not to save it any longer. Destined for firewood. Pity, it was nice timber.

Chrism3
14th July 2016, 10:44 AM
Why not put it on the Timber sub-forum?

hughie
15th July 2016, 05:23 AM
I have been there and done that with the same effect. Which is a shame as Southern Highland Black wood is or has just as much colour if not more than Tasmanian. The climate is very similar and add to the the rich black top soil, it produces great timber.

Christos
15th July 2016, 06:35 PM
That is a bit of a pity.

The Sydney Wood Turners Guild has an affiliated club in the Southern Highlands. Or one of the clubs in Wollongong, of even one of the members here Pat who is at least within an hours drive to Roberson.

Phily
15th July 2016, 06:59 PM
I doubt that it has been taken yet so if you know someone who is interested please have them ping me. Regardless, I have plenty of Blackwood and am happy to pass some on to a club. I also have a heap of camphor laurel that I'd be comfortable doing a beer trade with!!

hughie
16th July 2016, 09:52 AM
I doubt that it has been taken yet so if you know someone who is interested please have them ping me. Regardless, I have plenty of Blackwood and am happy to pass some on to a club. I also have a heap of camphor laurel that I'd be comfortable doing a beer trade with!!

Are the beer economy, a great part of the Australasian Culture.

wheelinround
16th July 2016, 12:46 PM
I can assure you what Philly and Hughie are saying the colour is brilliant not just for turning blanks but I am sure for box making.

I couldn't help but bring my box Hughie gave me some time ago with us to QLD then Hughie sent along a larger blank with Fletty.

Christos I gave you a piece have you turned it yet?

Dorno also?

Chrism3
16th July 2016, 02:12 PM
This could go on the Free list of the Marketplace - the most obvious place to offer it.

Phily
16th July 2016, 02:19 PM
This could go on the Free list of the Marketplace - the most obvious place to offer it.
Agreed though in this case the timber on offer is more suited to woodturners hence posting it on this forum. Cheers

Jonnydubbs
16th July 2016, 03:25 PM
Hi Phily, Hughie has just rung me and told me about you oversupply problem. I'm happy to take a trailer load of it at your convenience. I'm in Wollongong and available most days. Cheers, John

Jonnydubbs
16th July 2016, 03:30 PM
Would love some camphor laurel also

Phily
16th July 2016, 06:14 PM
I can assure you what Philly and Hughie are saying the colour is brilliant not just for turning blanks but I am sure for box making.

I couldn't help but bring my box Hughie gave me some time ago with us to QLD then Hughie sent along a larger blank with Fletty.

Christos I gave you a piece have you turned it yet?

Dorno also?
I'm pretty sure all of the timber came from my place. Hughie took 5 to 6 tons!

Phily
16th July 2016, 06:21 PM
Hi Phily, Hughie has just rung me and told me about you oversupply problem. I'm happy to take a trailer load of it at your convenience. I'm in Wollongong and available most days. Cheers, John
Hi John, PM me your phone number. Probably easier to collect some of my blackwood - easier to access. The CL is also stored in my shed. Cheers Phil

hughie
16th July 2016, 07:50 PM
Yup all grown in the Southern Highland. :2tsup:

Mr Brush
16th July 2016, 10:03 PM
I'm in Bundanoon, have chainsaw and ute, would be happy to come and cut some up from the source (rather than rat your stocks), and could help out if someone else wants to pick some up too?

I'll PM you - thanks for the offer !

Jonnydubbs
16th July 2016, 10:35 PM
Don't know how to pm in the forum yet. No is 0412770542

cheers,
john

wheelinround
17th July 2016, 09:52 AM
Philly yep all from your place :U

I got to thinking if you cut some lengths at 1m they'd be ideal for making walking sticks what you reckon Hughie?

Christos
17th July 2016, 10:34 AM
...Christos I gave you a piece have you turned it yet?.....

Not yet.

This thread was about picking up wood and has developed to also passing wood to other wood turners. :yes: Keeping with that theme of the thread and in regards to the wood that you gave me I passed on a few pieces to other wood turners from my club.

wheelinround
17th July 2016, 10:52 AM
Not yet.

This thread was about picking up wood and has developed to also passing wood to other wood turners. :yes: Keeping with that theme of the thread and in regards to the wood that you gave me I passed on a few pieces to other wood turners from my club.

More than pleased Christos :2tsup:

hughie
17th July 2016, 03:57 PM
Philly yep all from your place :U

I got to thinking if you cut some lengths at 1m they'd be ideal for making walking sticks what you reckon Hughie?

Yeah but dunno who would use em.

Phily
17th July 2016, 07:40 PM
That could be interesting - green turned walking sticks!! If you didn't have a problem with your legs before using a stick, you sure would after!!!!��

Wood Nut
17th July 2016, 08:00 PM
Hi Phil,
Can't believe it's been so hard to give away such beautiful timber. I was talking to Hughie just yesterday. Unfortunately I'm not quite up to driving that far since my shoulder surgery. all the best mate and hope to catch up again in the near future. How is the house going?
Paul

Phily
17th July 2016, 10:08 PM
Hey Paul, great to hear from you and all the best with the shoulder. Must be a woodturner thing: DaiSensei dropped in a while back, his shoulder was stuffed and I've been in for MRI's on mine - which is stuffed! My Physio strongly recommended taking a break every 15 to 20 mins from turning to do some stretching exercises to prevent muscle/nerve strain. We moved into the new place a few weeks back - now into a huge landscaping project. Ref the Blackwood, no stress there. Agreed its a beautiful looking timber but it needs to be handled with caution as it can cause health issues. I always warn folk to be careful and certainly don't force it on anyone!! Looking forward to catching up. Cheers Phil

Oddy
17th July 2016, 11:51 PM
Hi Phil, I have been away and offline for a week so sorry hadn't replied regarding your IM. I am still interested in the blackwood but see Jonnydubbs (http://www.woodworkforums.com/members/132391-jonnydubbs) has also expressed interest. I'll give the owners a call tomorrow to see if it has all been claimed yet or not. If I haven't already missed out and it is a full ute load then it is probably more than I really want and it would be good to share it with anyone else interested.

wheelinround
18th July 2016, 09:25 AM
I think I've worked out why interest is slow. Its winter Kangaroo Valley has the reputation of being as cold as Smiggin Holes now if these fellows were wise there is the beaut pie shop, pub and other places to warm up after or before getting a load of blackwood. I won't mention hauling trailer loads up the hill back to Mittagong:o

hughie
18th July 2016, 05:48 PM
[QUOTE=wheelinround;1964076]I think I've worked out why interest is slow. Its winter Kangaroo Valley has the reputation of being as cold as Smiggin Holes now if these fellows were wise there is the beaut pie shop, pub and other places to warm up after or before getting a load of blackwood. I won't mention hauling trailer loads up the hill back to Mittagong:o[/QUOTE

Not too mention, its winter before the spring sap rises.

Gary H
18th July 2016, 07:01 PM

G'day Phil,

Am chasing some CL for dip trays for my daughters and daughter in law. Would you have any around 300-350 x 60-70 thick? Quite happy to accept a quote
and make payment with your favourite beverage !

Cheers,
Gary

Phily
18th July 2016, 07:54 PM
I think I've worked out why interest is slow. Its winter Kangaroo Valley has the reputation of being as cold as Smiggin Holes now if these fellows were wise there is the beaut pie shop, pub and other places to warm up after or before getting a load of blackwood. I won't mention hauling trailer loads up the hill back to Mittagong:o

Says you that just moved to Queensland to enjoy 365 days a year of summer !!! ������������

Phily
18th July 2016, 07:59 PM
G'day Phil,

Am chasing some CL for dip trays for my daughters and daughter in law. Would you have any around 300-350 x 60-70 thick? Quite happy to accept a quote
and make payment with your favourite beverage !

Cheers,
Gary
I've got a fair stack of CL so I'm sure we can organise a fair exchange. Are you OK to make a trip to the Highland's? If so, PM me. Cheers ��

Phily
18th July 2016, 08:10 PM
Hi Phil, I have been away and offline for a week so sorry hadn't replied regarding your IM. I am still interested in the blackwood but see Jonnydubbs (http://www.woodworkforums.com/members/132391-jonnydubbs) has also expressed interest. I'll give the owners a call tomorrow to see if it has all been claimed yet or not. If I haven't already missed out and it is a full ute load then it is probably more than I really want and it would be good to share it with anyone else interested.
I'd be surprised if its been taken. I offered Jonny some of my stock so no stress there. Let me know how you go. Cheers Phil

Oddy
18th July 2016, 08:16 PM
I'd be surprised if its been taken. I offered Jonny some of my stock so no stress there. Let me know how you go. Cheers Phil
Spoke to Gemma tonight and it is still available. I will try to get over there Friday morning, so if anyone else is interested in assisting/sharing send me a message.

Phily
18th July 2016, 08:18 PM
Excellent, great to hear its not going to waste! Cheers Phil

wheelinround
19th July 2016, 11:25 AM
Says you that just moved to Queensland to enjoy 365 days a year of summer !!! ������������

Yeh well hum how about 355 days just been through 2 weeks of worst winter here got down to 0C and 14C min during one day.

Shame someone x2 is flying up to Turn fest next year they could bring a trailer load each one camphor one blackwood. (joking)

Go one Philly link a notcie to this thread over in sales/market section it might wake some of these old fellas up.

Mr Brush
19th July 2016, 08:56 PM
Big thanks to Phil for his time this afternoon......not to mention a nice stash of spectacular blackwood. I've never seem anything quite like it ! :2tsup:

I think I have a day on the bandsaw tomorrow cutting bits up, sealing ends, etc., then sticker it all for drying.

Cheers

Phily
19th July 2016, 11:25 PM
An enjoyable afternoon and thanks for the Red and I look forward to seeing photos of your work�� Cheers Phil

Jonnydubbs
20th July 2016, 04:16 AM
Great to meet you yesterday Phil, and thanks again for all the 'ordinary looking' timber. I enjoyed the camphor laurel aroma all the way home! Now to do the timber justice.

Phily
20th July 2016, 04:38 PM
Great to meet up Johnny and thanks for the beers :)

Jonnydubbs
22nd July 2016, 11:35 AM
Here's the first piece of work I've done with the blackwood Phil. Just a thin bit I picked up on the ground. Have planed and sanded with 80 grit and it already feels very smooth. Will finish with 400 which should be enough. I think a cheese board will best suit this piece. BEAUTIFUL!!

Phily
24th July 2016, 09:18 PM
Nice piece Johnny, keen to see how some of the rich grained pieces work out :U

Oddy
25th July 2016, 11:14 PM
Thanks for posting this up originally Phil. I picked up the blackwood on Friday and looks like there will be some nice pieces in there. I wasn't able to haul all of it so there are still some smaller pieces left if anyone is interested - it will only end up as firewood if not.