PDA

View Full Version : sally wattle bowl

smiife
24th July 2016, 07:29 PM
Hi guys,
This is a small sally wattle bowl , with a textured
rim, stained and highlighted with gold , I made for AWTEX
this year , unfortunately it didn, t make the judging stage,
Sanded to 800grit and finished with ncl.
It also has carved feet.
Any advice and comments welcome

artme
24th July 2016, 07:33 PM
I like that1. Sally wattle has a similar grain to Blackwood - acacia melanoxolyn.

I like the way you have treated the rim and the feet are an added bonus!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
24th July 2016, 07:44 PM
Yeah, I really like your treatment of the rim as well.

The grooves are gilded? I'm curious as to how you achieved the colours on the textured part... any chance of a quick run-down of your method?

smiife
24th July 2016, 08:14 PM
I like that1 Sally wattle has a similar grain to Blackwood - acacia melanoxolyn.

I like the way you have treated the rim and the feet are an added bonus!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Hi artme,
Thanks for your comments, the feet were the result
of a large tenon and a bit of an afterthought really
but I think it worked out very nicely!

Yeah, I really like your treatment of the rim as well.

The grooves are gilded? I'm curious as to how you achieved the colours on the textured part... any chance of a quick run-down of your method?

Hi skew,
Thanks for reply , I turned the base as usual and put a large
tenon on , why I really don, t know ! but It allowed the feet to
be carved later on, ...
The top I turned flat and smooth , then sanded and then used
a couple of coats of black spirit stain , then textured with my
robert sorby texturing tool , put on gold paint over the textured
part , and before drying wiped It off , leaving the gold marks
Then hollowed the bowl out and finished of sanding etc .
Sprayed the whole thing with ncl,
Hope this makes sense and helps :2tsup:

Phily
24th July 2016, 08:47 PM
I like that1. Sally wattle has a similar grain to Blackwood - acacia melanoxolyn.

I always thought that Sally Wattle was just another name for Blackwood? Any clarification appreciated. Cheers Phil

smiife
25th July 2016, 08:48 PM
I always thought that Sally Wattle was just another name for Blackwood? Any clarification appreciated. Cheers Phil

Hi phil , apparently they are different , according to ttit, s
egg list the latin/(those long names which I can, t pronounce)
names are different , he has a go to list of all timbers known
to man :U

Phily
25th July 2016, 09:39 PM
Thanks Smiife, I think (: According to Wikipedia etc they are one in the same. Maybe a chance to correct the global encyclopaedia? If there is a difference, its hard to pick from both the look of the tree and the timber. But there again, I'm no botanist - can only just tell the difference between pine trees and chestnut!!

pommyphil
25th July 2016, 09:59 PM
Nice bowl, nice wood Smiife.

Not the first rubbish entry in Wikipedia. Sally wattle is usually A.floribunda but common names........

smiife
26th July 2016, 09:23 PM
Thanks Smiife, I think (: According to Wikipedia etc they are one in the same. Maybe a chance to correct the global encyclopaedia? If there is a difference, its hard to pick from both the look of the tree and the timber. But there again, I'm no botanist - can only just tell the difference between pine trees and chestnut!!

Hi phil,
After extensive research I have the botanic names
Sally Wattle....Acacia Salicina
Blackwood.....Acacia Melanoxylon
My source is....Index of /eggpage (http://www.ttit.id.au/eggpage)
Not sure how to make a link thingy
Anyway hope this helps, ttit has a very
Interesting site and is worth a look , over 600
different timbers made Into eggs.......

Nice bowl, nice wood Smiife.

Not the first rubbish entry in Wikipedia. Sally wattle is usually A.floribunda but common names........
Hi phil,
Thanks for your comments , much appreciated.

Phily
27th July 2016, 10:17 PM
Thanks for the research Smiife, I followed up on the names and links you provided - very interesting. If I'm right, Sally Wattle has a slightly more elongated leaf, but aside from that I'm unable to see any difference between the two. Sounds like a good topic of conversation over a few beers at the local (country) pub :)

smiife
28th July 2016, 09:37 PM
Thanks for the research Smiife, I followed up on the names and links you provided - very interesting. If I'm right, Sally Wattle has a slightly more elongated leaf, but aside from that I'm unable to see any difference between the two. Sounds like a good topic of conversation over a few beers at the local (country) pub :)

Hi phil,
Yeah , probably not much difference between them mate,
I think we will have to meet up for that beer one day ........
Say, .....! Newcastle , would be half way:U:U

Phily
29th July 2016, 09:07 PM
Excellent idea. I'll bring up some pieces of my Sally Wattle, or is it Blackwood, or is it Black Wattle, or mudgerabah ????.............
:)

Christos
29th July 2016, 11:03 PM
I love the way this bowl looks. I especially like the rim, I am not exactly sure on the feet. But I do see the hours of work involved with this piece.

I might suggest having a curved bottom on the next one. No feet or foot.

smiife
31st July 2016, 07:32 PM
Excellent idea. i'll bring up some pieces of my Sally Wattle, or is it Blackwood, or is it Black Wattle, or mudgerabah ????.............
:)

Hi phil, sounds good , not sure what It is now !!!!!:doh:

I love the way this bowl looks. I especially like the rim, I am not exactly sure on the feet. But I do see the hours of work involved with this piece.

I might suggest having a curved bottom on the next one. No feet or foot.

Hi christos,
Thanks for the suggestion , much appreciated
will try that on the next one:2tsup:
The photo doesn, t really show the feet off very well !
But I thought I would try something a bit different......

Christos
31st July 2016, 09:28 PM
But I thought I would try something a bit different......

I can certainly relate to trying something different.