PDA

View Full Version : Cheap toolrest improvment.

pommyphil
31st July 2016, 11:24 AM
Recently welded 10mm HSS rod on top of my old flatbar toolrests and it's a great improvment.

The rod. 10mm X 200mm HSS Graving Tool Round Lathe Carbide Bars Stick | eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/301420588926?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT) 389202

wm460
31st July 2016, 11:56 AM
Greta idea:2tsup::2tsup:

NeilS
6th August 2016, 10:56 AM
My concern (unfounded or not) with a HSS rail on the top of the toolrest is that I would then have my HSS tools supported by HSS. Going by the dings along the top of my cast iron toolrests they get quite a bit of pounding, especially when turning larger irregular shaped blanks. The supported HSS rail would survive, unblemished, but the overhanging fluted gouges may not. I have snapped a few HSS drill bits over the years (no gouges yet), so thin section HSS is vulnerable from impacts.

One advantage of cast iron (in toolrests and lathe construction) is that it is vibration absorbing, although you do have to file it smooth again from time to time.

I think if I were to edge my toolrests I would investigate steels that were softer than HSS.

Phil, my concern may be unfounded, so I will be interested to hear from you (or any others) on your experience with the HSS rails on your toolrests.

pommyphil
6th August 2016, 03:40 PM
Hi Neil. I have a couple with stainless rod and a couple with HSS. The tool glides on the HSS noticably better than the stainless. None of my rests are cast all mild steel.

I tend to doubt that cast iron or mild steel would have much cushioning but I could be wrong. The hard steel is a joy for spindle work, planing and rolling beads, very smooth.

The newer Vicmarc rests have a rod on top but I don't know how hard they are. I've never broken a HSS tool, thats something to look forward to :rolleyes:

wm460
6th August 2016, 04:12 PM
I have a R Sorby modular tool rest system the web site says

"Cross bars are specially hardened to avoid those troublesome nicks and to give a smooth finish."

I don't know what the difference between specially hardened and HSS steel is?
But I like the RS rest a lot better than the Vicmarc cast iron rest.

BobL
6th August 2016, 04:31 PM
I have a R Sorby modular tool rest system the web site says

"Cross bars are specially hardened to avoid those troublesome nicks and to give a smooth finish."
Smooth finish can be obtained without hardness, I think they might mean, "maintain a smooth finish"

I don't know what the difference between specially hardened and HSS steel is?
But I like the RS rest a lot better than the Vicmarc cast iron rest.

HSS is a hard steel which maintains its hardness even when it reaches red heat whereas not all hardened steel has this ability.

I would think that something like a moderately case hardened steel would be ideal for tool rests.
The surface hardness would reduce the development of nicks and dips while retaining the internal softness preventing cracking/breakage.
The other issue is that of cost which probably why CI is used.
Long cast iron rests have to be made quite bulky to prevent breakage.

Being an occasional mainly small spindle turner all my rests are just made out of mild steel.
I can understand why harder and hence stiffer steel would be better for large lathe rests as it is less likely to flex than MS.

hughie
7th August 2016, 10:27 AM
My concern (unfounded or not) with a HSS rail on the top of the toolrest is that I would then have my HSS tools supported by HSS. Going by the dings along the top of my cast iron toolrests they get quite a bit of pounding, especially when turning larger irregular shaped blanks. The supported HSS rail would survive, unblemished, but the overhanging fluted gouges may not. I have snapped a few HSS drill bits over the years (no gouges yet), so thin section HSS is vulnerable from impacts.

One advantage of cast iron (in toolrests and lathe construction) is that it is vibration absorbing, although you do have to file it smooth again from time to time.

I think if I were to edge my toolrests I would investigate steels that were softer than HSS.

Phil, my concern may be unfounded, so I will be interested to hear from you (or any others) on your experience with the HSS rails on your toolrests.

I do not use HSS due to the brittle nature of the steel. It doesnt surprise me you have broken a few over the years. There is a fairly simple way around this, although its not readily available to everyone . But I find that it have worked well for me over the years.

Linear rods, shafts or bars it doesnt matter, many are hard chromed which makes it difficult to weld. But many are induction hardened and ideal.
The best place to find them is on any type of machinery that has a sliding action as part of it operational process. They wear out on a regular basis and are thrown away, especially these days as the price of scrap steel is darn near zero. In fact many companies have to pay a surcharge on scrap metal for removal.

Uncle Al
8th August 2016, 10:13 AM
Linear rods, shafts or bars it doesnt matter, many are hard chromed which makes it difficult to weld. But many are induction hardened and ideal.
The best place to find them is on any type of machinery that has a sliding action as part of it operational process. They wear out on a regular basis and are thrown away, especially these days as the price of scrap steel is darn near zero. In fact many companies have to pay a surcharge on scrap metal for removal.

I used some shafting from a front suspension strut of a car on my toolrests some time ago. Very happy with the results, it was welded onto the existing toolrest without dramas. No idea what type of steel it is, but very readily available from a wreckers or suspension repair place in various diameters, just a matter of looking for something suitable. The suspension repair mobs would probably be the best bet, they are only going to chuck the struts out.
Cutting the shaft with a cut-off wheel in the angle grinder was quick and easy.

Alan...

NeilS
8th August 2016, 10:28 AM
Being an occasional mainly small spindle turner all my rests are just made out of mild steel.

Nice set of toolrests there Bob.

Optimark
8th August 2016, 10:49 AM
Nice set of toolrests there Bob.

I agree, I really looked at that corner one, might have a rummage around and make one myself as I see that as a very useful addition. I also somewhere, have a thin gas strut that be used.

Mick.

BobL
8th August 2016, 12:45 PM
I agree, I really looked at that corner one, might have a rummage around and make one myself as I see that as a very useful addition. I also somewhere, have a thin gas strut that be used.

Mick.

Cheers Mick,

RE; the corner one.
Yes that one is very useful.
Back in 2009? I also started making a variable angle rest. It went from 60º one way to 60º the other. I will see if I can find the bits and pieces.

Optimark
10th August 2016, 08:00 PM
Cheers Mick,

RE; the corner one.
Yes that one is very useful.

Bob, looking at your corner one, is that one piece that has been (heated?) bent 90º, or is it two pieces that have been welded together?

I have a small bit of mild steel plate 8mm thick that will do the job with a little bit left over, how thick is yours?

Just trying to get a working plan at the moment.

Meanwhile scrounging around for some steel I can turn down to 25.4mm at my men's shed on the old Hercus we have, for the post. Love my men's shed. :U

Mick.