PDA

View Full Version : Woodturning Club, Teacher(s) in Hobart?

yvan
10th August 2016, 09:05 AM
I would like to learn how to turn tool handles - chisel etc - but have never done any turning before. It would be nice to try my hand at it before purchasing all the necessary gear to do so.

Where could I do so in Hobart? Are there woodturners who offer tutorials in Hobart region?

Cheers Yvan

Rod Gilbert
10th August 2016, 09:26 AM
Hi Yvan,
A quick search and it would seem Woodcraft Guild Tasmania Inc. in Glenorchy should be able to help you get started clubs are a great way to get into woodworking with the support of others willing to share their knowledge.
Regards Rod.

issatree
10th August 2016, 10:45 AM
Hi Yvan,
As Rod said, there must be a Wood Club somewhere there.
Also, there maybe a Mens Shed also, & they could possibly help out.

artful bodger
10th August 2016, 11:13 AM
Until a few years ago they actually taught wood turning at Warrane TAFE. However since the stupid IGA (inter governmental forest agreement) where it was decided with no input from woodworkers that nearly all forest areas in Tas with special timbers would be locked up, the timber industry has been dying a slow death. Unfortunately the wood turning course was just one of those fatalities amongst a raft of others. There was a group of enthusiasts who started up their own social turners group at the TAFE for a while as the TAFE still has lots of lathes (even a nice old wadkin patternmakers lathe in fantastic condition) however there were some issues and the group is there no longer. As suggested the woodworkers guild might be a start as I know there are a few turners in it, whether or not any of them give lessons is another thing though. Alternatively about once a year here they have that 'Adult Education" program where a number of people run workshops in all sorts of things. Wood turning is usually one of those things, you will just have to keep your eye out for it.

artful bodger
10th August 2016, 07:09 PM
Yvan, if you cannot find anyone send me an email. I know a bloke with 3 fingers and a dangerous lathe who will sometimes give the odd lesson.

yvan
10th August 2016, 10:17 PM
Hi AB,

Much appreciated.

Yvan

Rod Gilbert
11th August 2016, 08:03 AM
And there it is the forum at work well done AB.
Regards Rod.

yvan
11th August 2016, 08:12 AM
Indeed :2tsup:

Yvan