PDA

View Full Version : Teknatool TL1000 - Are they good?

Braxtonatoraxto
13th August 2016, 12:59 PM
I am looking at a 2nd hand Teknatool TL 1000 Lathe that is for sale for $375. It looks like it is in pretty decent condition, but as I am pretty new to the wood turning world I am hoping that I could get some advice/reviews of this machine - if people have used them before or know much about them.

My first purchase was a cheap, spur of the moment purchase that I have now learnt from - therefore I am looking for advice from those in the know!

I am mainly looking at turning bowls at the moment and then some small spindle items as I move forward. I don't need top of the range just yet - but obviously something that will do the job would be a step up from my last purchase.

Thanks in advance.

Paul

powderpost
13th August 2016, 01:56 PM
Yes they are a reliable old machine. I sold and used many of them years back.

Jim

Braxtonatoraxto
13th August 2016, 02:06 PM
Cheers - will be good to hear from anyone else with experience too.

What about the price? $395 ono.

The pictures are as below.

Also, is that an outboard spindle on the left hand side? That would definitely be a welcome addition.

Cheers,

Paul

hughie
13th August 2016, 02:34 PM
Yes they are a reliable old machine. I sold and used many of them years back.

Jim

Yup totally agree, if its in good nick the price is good

Braxtonatoraxto
13th August 2016, 07:47 PM
So the lathe with a Nova Chuck thrown in for $395 is a good deal as long as it is working like it should?

hughie
13th August 2016, 08:08 PM
Woodlathe Teknatool TL 1000 | Other Tools & DIY | Gumtree Australia Pine Rivers Area - Kallangur | 1120563795 (http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/kallangur/other-tools-diy/woodlathe-teknatool-tl-1000/1120563795)

It has a face plate no mention of chuck, but states its had little use and the price is negotiable. See how you go with bargaining, its a sturdy lathe and it was Teknatools flagship when it came out. There is not much to go wrong with it, bearings maybe thats about it. Given its age, condition, and the bits that come with it, it sounds like a good deal.

W382 | WL-18 Swivel Head Wood Lathe | For Sale Sydney Brisbane Melbourne Perth | Buy Workshop Equipment & Machinery online at machineryhouse.com.au (http://www.machineryhouse.com.au/W382) heres a generic Chinese darn near $600 the TL1000 is better by far and nearly half the price.

Braxtonatoraxto
13th August 2016, 08:14 PM
Thanks for the information. The Chuck is something I have negotiated to be thrown in at the $395 price. So that will probably push me over the edge to go ahead and purchase it!

Might wait till tomorrow and see if any others have some advice!

Thanks again all

issatree
13th August 2016, 08:43 PM
Hi B,
Used one many years ago & yes, it was a good Lathe.
2 features, It has 8 Speeds, & 168 RPM is the lowest, a great thing to have.
There are quite a few bolts on the Tail Stock that you can adjust, to bring both the T/S & Head Stock, Point to Point.

Maybe it is the older style Black Nova Chuck, & if so it may need a clean, might still have all the grease in it, so soak it in petrol for 2 - 3 Days. They are easy to pull apart. I use Graphite Powder in mine, so much better as the dust can't stick anywhere. The Handles with it are totally useless, so get 2 good Stanley Screwdrivers, as they fit the Holes perfectly, cut & square the ends. I have 1 long, & 1 a bit shorter.
Yes, it wood be a great buy at that price. Go for it.

Mobyturns
13th August 2016, 10:55 PM
I agree an oldie but a goodie, far better choice than your first foray. With a chuck thrown in for that price you are doing pretty well.