PDA

View Full Version : Melbourne Get togethers

Oldgreybeard
14th August 2016, 09:24 AM
Since Matt (Simplicity) floated the idea in the “Announcements Forum” of a monthly get together of forum members 14 months ago, there have been 273 posts on this thread, but still the group is struggling to get more than 3 or 4 members able to make it each month.

As there appears to be only a handful of members who have been able to make it to any of the nights or even to contribute to the discussion on the forum; it could be concluded that we are “flogging a dead horse”.

Matt and I have discussed this and I have discussed it with Neil (Ubeaut) and we don’t believe that the “dead horse” conclusion is correct. Neil has agreed to support us with more publicity through the forum pages.
Matt proposed a get together encompassing all members of the woodworking and metal working forums and sub-forums. If you are interested in woodworking, metal working, photographing your master pieces, or maybe just telling tall tales (some true) or our best loved jokes, you are included. You may be an absolute beginner or seasoned professional; hobby worker or full timer. If you participate in any of the forums or sub-forums this is an opportunity to share experiences and skills; and to put faces to the names of other contributors to the forum. And of course partners are welcomed.

A meeting with Neil has been scheduled for Sunday 11th September after the stall at the Working With Wood Show is packed up – about 2.00pm.

Some members have put forward suggestions as to measures which we could take to improve the numbers able to attend – Rotating the venue and changing the day, for example. Would an occasional Saturday activity such as a visit to Ubeaut, Pop’s Shed, Carrolls Woodcraft Supplies, Hare & Forbes, etc. for equipment and supplies demonstrations or a training day with a leading professional attract more attendees? Maybe even including an in depth “show and tell” at some GTGs where a member ‘volunteers’ to show some of his/her work and discuss the techniques used.
Or is it a time to get away and just talk and maybe share a drink with old and new friends?

Our scheduled meeting at the Box Hill RSL on Monday 29th August is important in defining the future of the Melbourne GTGs.

At the end of our next meeting we need to be able present a clear outline to Neil as to who we are and what assistance we seek in promoting our group to a much wider audience. Or it maybe that initially we wish to conduct a poll through the forum to clarify the level of interest in attending the GTGs and the activities which are of interest to forum members at large.

Please make the effort to join us on the 29th or, if unable to attend, post your comments and / or interest in attending future get togethers on the forum http://www.woodworkforums.com/f12/melbourne-based-togethers-196244/19
or you may send a Private Message through the forum to Matt (Simplicity) or myself (Oldgreybeard).

dai sensei
14th August 2016, 11:26 PM
I have to be down in Melb for the 14 Oct for my mother's 90th birthday. I hope to get there early so I can attend the Philip Island Turnaround that is on the same weekend as the Wood Show.

As usual due to the overlap many other woodturners will be at Philip Island, so will not be able to attend the get together at the show. Many meet up at the show anyway, likewise at Philip Island, so not sure a special coordinated get together is warranted.

I'm therefore in favour of an end of the month get together as usual. Perhaps to make it more attractive we should organise some sort of special one rather than at the RSL??

Oldgreybeard
15th August 2016, 09:51 AM
Thanks for the comments Neil.

Perhaps I was not clear in respect of the meeting at the Caulfield Racecourse. This would be for a small number of members to meet with Ubeaut Neil to discuss the implementation of the decisions to be made at the regular RSL meeting on 29th August.

I'm therefore in favour of an end of the month get together as usual. Perhaps to make it more attractive we should organise some sort of special one rather than at the RSL??
http://www.woodworkforums.com/images/buttons/multiquote_40b.png (http://www.woodworkforums.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1969880)

Do you intend that this would be in place of the meeting on the 29th August?

Bob

dai sensei
15th August 2016, 08:23 PM
Sorry I thought you were proposing to have the meeting at the show in lieu of the RSL

...for a small number of members to meet with Ubeaut Neil to discuss the implementation of the decisions to be made at the regular RSL meeting on 29th August....

But isn't UBeaut Neil going to Philip Island as usual?

...Do you intend that this would be in place of the meeting on the 29th August?

Yes. I thought maybe people were sick of the RSL, or wanted something different, but perhaps you would be in a better position to judge that then me. I know of other get togethers people get "same ol same ol" bored, and like a change, plus it opens up opportunities for others that the RSL may not suit.

Food for thought anyway, as a non-regular, I love attending where ever it is to meet up with you guys.

Oldgreybeard
16th August 2016, 09:57 AM
But isn't UBeaut Neil going to Philip Island as usual?
Yes,but he will be back after lunch on Sunday to pack up the stand at Caulfield

Yes. I thought maybe people were sick of the RSL, or wanted something different , but perhaps you would be in a better position to judge that then me. I know of other get togethers people get "same ol same ol" bored, and like a change, plus it opens up opportunities for others that the RSL may not suit. This seems to be the impression that I an getting

Food for thought anyway, as a non-regular, I love attending where ever it is to meet up with you guys.

Bob

powderpost
16th August 2016, 10:49 PM
You could change the RSL venue, there is a very good one in Mareeba..

Jim

Oldgreybeard
17th August 2016, 09:18 AM
You could change the RSL venue, there is a very good one in Mareeba..

Jim

An excellent thought Jim, but i fear the "treasurer" would balk at the chartered aircraft for a 2 -3 talk and drink outing.:?
But as the maximum temperature in Melbourne today is 15C, it could be worth further investigation:D

Bob

powderpost
17th August 2016, 07:41 PM
An excellent thought Jim, but i fear the "treasurer" would balk at the chartered aircraft for a 2 -3 talk and drink outing.:?
But as the maximum temperature in Melbourne today is 15C, it could be worth further investigation:D

Bob

Bob, it's cold up here too, got down to 18c last night... :oo:

Jim