PDA

View Full Version : Desert Island

Andy Mac
26th August 2005, 12:26 AM
Here's a late night one for you :D
If you could save only 5 handtools from a sinking boat, which ones would you choose to take to the desert island? Why....?

Skew ChiDAMN!!
26th August 2005, 12:52 AM
Assuming it's not a desert island, but rather a deserted tropical island. :rolleyes:

2x Tomahawks - the all-purpose tool. Hammer, splitter, axe, plane, chisel. You can build a log-cabin with just these!
Bowsaw - who wants to fell a tree with a tomahawk? And it'd be nice to have square ends...
Bowie Knife - there's more to life than woodwork. Ever tried skinning a rabbit with a tomahawk?
Flare-gun - to flag down passing vehicles so I can order more tools... :D

doug the slug
26th August 2005, 01:08 AM
2x Tomahawks - the all-purpose tool. Hammer, splitter, axe, plane, chisel. You can build a log-cabin with just these!
Bowsaw - who wants to fell a tree with a tomahawk? And it'd be nice to have square ends...
Bowie Knife - there's more to life than woodwork. Ever tried skinning a rabbit with a tomahawk?
Flare-gun - to flag down passing vehicles so I can order more tools... :D

well first would be my swiss army knife, i could build a temporary shelter using that alone while i work on the log cabin and skin rabbits.

then i like skews idea of the 2 tomahawks, but i would make it an axe and a tomahawk (a bit more flexibility)

a posthole digger; can dig holes for uprights for the log cabin as well as $h1tpits and wells for drinking water

and lastly a good hammer cos eventually you are going to want to hit somethinghttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon10.gif

Wongo
26th August 2005, 01:14 AM
Well I definitely need a dovetail saw. I am sure I will catch one to cut its tail off. :D

And I would still prefer 4 power tools thank you very much. :D

doug the slug
26th August 2005, 01:26 AM
Well I definitely need a dovetail saw. I am sure I will catch one to cut its tail off. :D

and plug them into what???

Wongo
26th August 2005, 01:32 AM
Oops

Skew ChiDAMN!!
26th August 2005, 01:40 AM
and lastly a good hammer cos eventually you are going to want to hit somethinghttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon10.gif

I'll stick with my tommie-hawk... when I want to hit something I want it to know it's been hit.

echnidna
26th August 2005, 10:25 AM
and plug them into what???

Wongo fotgot the real long extension lead obviously :D

Kev Y.
26th August 2005, 10:44 AM
QUESTION.....

IF I had 5 hand tools.... why is the boat sinking????? :confused:

DanP
26th August 2005, 10:49 AM

Make that three and a generator. :D

Skew ChiDAMN!!
26th August 2005, 09:49 PM
QUESTION.....

IF I had 5 hand tools.... why is the boat sinking????? :confused:

Dropped your axe?

echnidna
27th August 2005, 07:41 PM
Quick swap a tomahawk for a pair of flippers

duckman
27th August 2005, 07:47 PM
I'd take most of the above but with the addition of an oil stone so I could sharpen all my cutting implements. :p

doug the slug
27th August 2005, 08:26 PM
now thats good thinking duckman, you dont know how long you will be there, ill swap the hammer for a sharpening stone, can always hit things with the axe

Skew ChiDAMN!!
27th August 2005, 11:30 PM
Wot? No rocks lying around on your island? :eek:

Don't worry, there'll be plenty of time to learn how to hone with coral... :D

Harry72
27th August 2005, 11:35 PM
CDMA mobile phone... so I can ring my mummy. :p

Ian007
28th August 2005, 12:15 AM
well first up I would want one of these rip saws(pic) an axe a big one a real big one, then one of them hand saws like Javali made but maybe a bit bigger to rip stuff to fit hand saw, tenon saw and a tomahawk

duckman
28th August 2005, 10:05 AM
Wot? No rocks lying around on your island? :eek:

Don't worry, there'll be plenty of time to learn how to hone with coral... :D

I'd pay to see that!

Over to you, Skew.. :p

Andy Mac
28th August 2005, 09:22 PM
Tickled a few people, thanks!:)

I kept thinking too much towards the axe, drawknife, bowie knife, bowsaw and brace....(but no bits? :( ) then veered towards chainsaw.
Does a hammer even rate? I suppose the axe can be used.

Cheers, look fwd to another week of WWF! Better entertainment than the TV:D

Wood Butcher
28th August 2005, 09:28 PM
Tickled a few people, thanks!:)

I kept thinking too much towards the axe, drawknife, bowie knife, bowsaw and brace....(but no bits? :( ) then veered towards chainsaw.
Does a hammer even rate? I suppose the axe can be used.

Cheers, look fwd to another week of WWF! Better entertainment than the TV:D

Thought you said handtools????????:D

Harry72
29th August 2005, 12:41 AM
Well if its a tool and its in your hand its a hand tool!