PDA

View Full Version : Manual for a Yellow Woodfast C1000 Model 2 (manual speed change)

Xanthorrhoeas
23rd August 2016, 11:24 PM
Hi, new poster on this forum (though somewhat experienced in other woodwork forums). I have just bought on the forums marketplace a second hand Woodfast C1000 manual Model 2 lathe (bright yellow). I have no idea the age of the machine. i am an absolute novice with woodturning - I have not done any, so will shortly drive you all mad with questions:U.

First, though, is does anyone have a manual for this lathe please? i would greatly appreciate a PDF or even a snail-mail version (happy to pay postage).

regards

David

Pac man
24th August 2016, 08:03 AM
http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/woodfast-manual-166734-post1676229#post1676229

Xanthorrhoeas
24th August 2016, 08:55 AM
Thanks Pac Man, that is very helpful. That manual is for a green lathe with a different belt speed change mechanism but will be very useful. This lathe has a lever that liifts to take the weight of the motor off the belt and twists to lock the lever in place. ideally I would like to have the correct manual for this model.

I do not know whether my lathe is older than the green lathes or newer. It does say "Model 2". The front of the belt-drive enclosure is all perspex rather than just a small window.

David

powderpost
24th August 2016, 11:09 AM
Welcome to the forum, if you look on the right hand end of the bed you will find the model number, number of the machine and the year it was made.

Jim

Xanthorrhoeas
24th August 2016, 04:45 PM
Thanks for that information. I have literally only had time to deliver the machine to my workshop before I went to work and haven't got back there yet. Now I know where to look.

David

Xanthorrhoeas
24th August 2016, 07:01 PM
The number stamped on the RHS of the bed is C10260. There is no date there. The CMG motor has a Batch number 02D6111987. Is this likely to be 1987?

The label details are in these photos.

Do these details help anyone to know enough about the lathe to point me in the right direction for a manual?

David

NeilS
27th August 2016, 03:06 PM
Unless they have changed the way they do things, Woodfast stamps the year of manufacture on the very end of the bed rail.

The yellow lathes were made before the (partly) green ones.

The chaps at Woodfast (Steve & Graham) will help you out with any questions.

Woodfast Machinery Co. (Aust.) Pty. Ltd. - (http://www.woodfast.com.au/index.php?p=1_28)

It's a good lathe!

Enjoy

Xanthorrhoeas
27th August 2016, 03:38 PM
Thanks Neil, my lathe must be different - perhaps because it was a school model. There are no stampings on either end of the bed apart from the one shown above on the top of the bed on the RHS. The age does not matter that much to me - it is in great condition - I was only trying to narrow it down for a manual. However, the operation of this machine is pretty self explanatory and I should be able to get replacement belts without too much trouble I hope. That was one item I would have liked some details for from a manual. I'll take off the still functional, but somewhat worn, belt and make sure I have a new one before this one can break.

Thanks for the link. I'll call Woodfast and see what they can say about the belt. They may sell replacements.

Regards

David

NeilS
27th August 2016, 04:54 PM
I'll call Woodfast and see what they can say about the belt.

If you haven't replaced a belt before, get their advice on doing that. It involves taking the headstock shaft out of its bearings. There are a few tricks to doing this that will save you time and the risk of reassembling it incorrectly. The boys at Woodfast can advise you on the best way to go about it.

Xanthorrhoeas
27th August 2016, 05:09 PM
If you haven't replaced a belt before, get their advice on doing that. It involves taking the headstock shaft out of its bearings. There are a few tricks to doing this that will save you time and the risk of reassembling it incorrectly. The boys at Woodfast can advise you on the best way to go about it.

Thanks Neil. That is well worth knowing!

David

Picko
6th September 2016, 10:10 AM
How did you go with this David? I have the manual (22 pages) for a green C1000. My lathe looks identical to the photos except for the colour. If you still need it send me a PM with your address and I'll post you a copy.

Xanthorrhoeas
6th September 2016, 10:13 AM
That is great, thank-you Picko. PM on the way.

David