PDA

View Full Version : foot or no foot ??

smiife
11th September 2016, 07:32 PM
Hi guys, I was given some lilly pilly (they think)?.....
So i made a small bowl by way of thanks for the timber
Not sure which looks best bowl with foot or bowl without ?
Any advice or comments appreciated .....

Old Croc
11th September 2016, 07:53 PM
My preference is no foot and the main reason is the bowl is more stable when being used.
Rgds,
Crocy.

Gabriel
11th September 2016, 07:53 PM
I prefer without the foot, provided it is still quite stable.

Great consistent curve on that one smiife, and with the crack inclusion, really makes for a unique piece.

Cheers for sharing
Gab

Christos
11th September 2016, 08:20 PM
i find that I make more bowls without a foot. So this is a little bias :rolleyes: when i say no foot.

Nanigai
11th September 2016, 08:56 PM
Definitely no foot. Nice bowl.
cheers, Ian

Faulko
11th September 2016, 09:44 PM
I think without the foot in this instance, given the dimensions of the bowl. I agree with Gabriel....nice shape and curve. well done

Nubsnstubs
12th September 2016, 12:29 AM
Smife, my opinion is the general shape of this bowl doesn't allow for it to have a foot. Looks like you went without it without the opinions of others anyway. Nice curve........... Jerry (in Tucson)

Drillit
12th September 2016, 09:41 AM
Hello Smife,
Generally I think without is better, however, given the feature and where it finishes at or near the centre and the need to remove the existing foot, I wonder
how much depth you have in the base if you are to remove/undercut and widen it for better balance, given the extent of the feature. I have been caught out
with camphor laurel in the past, particularly if you have to reshape the bowl to cater for a wider base. Hope that helps, Drillit.

smiife
12th September 2016, 08:59 PM
Hi guys,
I think the concensus is no foot ! Which is the opinion
I had aswell , I guess I doubt myself sometimes !
I did actually finish this last week and it sat on the shelf
and ever time I walked past I thought that it didn, t look
right , so on the weekend I took the foot off and widened the base
a little, dished it a bit and textured it ,
I must admit it sits a lot better now
Thanks to all of you for your replies,,,,, much appreciated
and thanks for looking:2tsup:

Paul39
14th September 2016, 12:56 AM
Very nice piece!! I like it better without the foot.

smiife
18th September 2016, 07:49 PM
Very nice piece!! I like it better without the foot.
Thanks paul, I do too , hope the recipient does !

Dalboy
18th September 2016, 08:41 PM
There are times a foot will help, I sometimes leave a foot on a bowl like this but then I only make it no taller than 1/8" depending on the overall diameter as I find it just gives that little lift to the bowl off of the surface it is placed on. The decision can be frustrating as you found when you were making this one.
Personally I would have put a 1/16" foot just to lift it as I stated to allow the full shape to be appreciated.

By the way a nicely shaped bowl just right to be cupped in the hand and a good finish the inclusion just adds that little extra

Jeff Leslie
18th September 2016, 08:53 PM
I agree with Dalboy - a foot (or feet) would have lifted the bowl to look more pleasing but less utilitarian. Personally, as long as I don't see the way the bowl was held (obvious recess or dovetail foot) I think that's a good start. And in the end, it's nothing other than preference. See what the recipient thinks!

I think at times we are too hard on ourselves. The general public often thinks differently to wood turners.

Jeff

CAG
18th September 2016, 09:58 PM
Hi Smiife,

The one photo we need to do a comparison is of the footed bowl from side on (lower angle) like photo 3. I think a wider but lower foot would have suited the bowl and lifted it just enough to give the effect Dalboy has mentioned. Two noodle bowls I have made have feet and look right to the eye, although they aren't hemispherical in profile like your beautiful work above.

Craig.

dai sensei
20th September 2016, 08:12 PM
Foot or no foot is often personal preference. Personally I like a foot, but not just the tenon left on, I turn the tenon into a bead so it provides a stable platform but still highlight the form. Inside the bead I use a flat or slightly curved area following the main shape of the bowl and that's where I put my signature etc