PDA

View Full Version : Home-made lathe

maņana
27th September 2016, 05:52 PM
Well, after many years of bending over the bed on my Tanner lathe trying to turn bowls, I decided I'd try to make a Bowl Lathe. I had seen a few attempts posted on the Forum so here is my attempt. Just to get in early, yes the extension on the Tool Post does look crooked (an optical illusion). And I was away the day they taught welding at School. But, it works!!!!!! Surprise, Surprise!!!
Cheers
Mick C

chambezio
27th September 2016, 06:30 PM
Maaaate You have done well!! Have you got any vibration at all while you are turning? By the looks you also have it bolted down so it cant gallop into the paddock.

I made my wood lathe over 30 years ago with material I had on hand. I got some help from a mate for the tail stock end and the rest just sort of "fell" into place. Over the years I have done some improvements to be able to mount off-the-shelf accessories. It has given good service over time

Can you keep us updated with what you are turning on yours? We just love to be "sticky-beaks" so photos are mandatory. Thanks for showing us what you have been up to.

Simplicity
27th September 2016, 06:57 PM
Looks great
But no pictures of the business end.
Are we hiding something
Your welds look good from were I'm sitting.
A bowl lathe is in my bucket list
Cheers Matt

maņana
27th September 2016, 07:06 PM
The camphor laurel bowl i posted a few days ago came off this lathe.
Mick

QUOTE=chambezio;1979262]Maaaate You have done well!! Have you got any vibration at all while you are turning? By the looks you also have it bolted down so it cant gallop into the paddock.

I made my wood lathe over 30 years ago with material I had on hand. I got some help from a mate for the tail stock end and the rest just sort of "fell" into place. Over the years I have done some improvements to be able to mount off-the-shelf accessories. It has given good service over time

Can you keep us updated with what you are turning on yours? We just love to be "sticky-beaks" so photos are mandatory. Thanks for showing us what you have been up to.[/QUOTE]

Paul39
28th September 2016, 11:27 AM
Mick C.

Very nice!! If you get vibration when doing larger bowls, you could extend a post down to the ground, making an arrangement like the tool post on top, but upside down.

Something like this: https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p/110/2733/Vicmarc-Outboard-Turning-Bracket-

Even a little flexing will cause vibration on your tool, making a rough cut.

Again, very nice job on the lathe.

maņana
28th September 2016, 08:43 PM
OK Matt, here's a few shots of the rear end of the lathe.
Cheers
Mick C

Looks great
But no pictures of the business end.
Are we hiding something
Your welds look good from were I'm sitting.
A bowl lathe is in my bucket list
Cheers Matt

maņana
28th September 2016, 08:46 PM
Thanks Paul, the lathe is a work-in-progress, so some modifications may well be made in the future as required.
Mick C

Simplicity
28th September 2016, 09:38 PM
Thanks Mick

artful bodger
28th September 2016, 11:11 PM
Sorry about the original version of this reply.

That is a nice looking bowl lathe, it will be interesting to see how it handles large bowls.