PDA

View Full Version : Redgum and Myrtle Bowl.

Kuffy
9th October 2016, 06:03 PM
This is a bowl I turned this arvo. Nice and easy made from random offcuts and shorts and defected material I have laying about in the shed. Very dry and dusty River redgum and air dried Myrtle. It is interesting to transition the gouge from the myrtle and onto the redgum. I get nice long curly shavings on the myrtle. The redgum spits out more dust than shavings with same tool presentation. It's no big deal, I just hold my breath for a moment while the dust cloud clears :D

I also started using a cheap $50 Woodfast HSS 1/2" bowl gouge instead of my 12mm P&N gouge. The woodfast is so much better than the P&N. I have turned 3 bowls with the woodfast and sharpened only three times which includes the initial shaping. The P&N has me sharpening 3-5times per bowl.

dimensions: 183mm diameter x 87mm high x ~5/8" wall thickness.

Gabriel
9th October 2016, 08:28 PM
mate, your 'random offcuts and defective shorts' put my 'when I feel I can produce something special with this' timber pile to shame!!! lovely figure in those bits.... the finish looks superb and a great shape!!

Kuffy
9th October 2016, 09:26 PM
Cheers Gab. I was blown away by your stash of timbers when I saw it a few weeks ago. Not only is it neatly stacked (how do you do that btw? I have no idea), it is all nice timbers and ACTUAL bowl blanks. I'm scratching the dirt looking for a couple of sizable chunks that I can sticky tape together and hope for the best. I'll be one of those segmented guys by the end of the week. You can have any colour you like so long as it is myrtle, redgum or tassie oak :D

Simplicity
9th October 2016, 09:35 PM
Nice bowl mate.
Please stop turning now for a year or two while us hacks catch up please.
Cheers Matt

Kuffy
9th October 2016, 09:54 PM
Heh, I am the biggest hack. I stab and tear at the blank to kill it until it is dead, and then hide the evidence with about 6 minutes worth of "sandturning"

Simplicity
9th October 2016, 10:08 PM
I thought 60 minutes of sand turning was standard practice

Gabriel
9th October 2016, 10:39 PM
My stash only looks organised cause people were coming. I have had to move everything that was 'swept under the rug' during the gtg, and now I can't move in there again....

I'll have to do you a trade for some of your myrtle coloured stuff.... gotta get round to a toy box I've been putting off....

I think the sand turning you are referring to is generally called the 80g scraper.... don't tell anyone, but I own a 60g one and it comes out to play at times.....

Keep up the posting kuffy as I enjoy looking at what I could achieve one day when I find time (and inspiration, and skill, and don't keep stuffing things up etc etc)

Kuffy
9th October 2016, 10:51 PM
LOL. I thought I was being clever referring to sanding as sandturning. But the 80g Scraper is much more cleverer.

brendan stemp
10th October 2016, 12:38 PM
I like the timber combination.

artme
10th October 2016, 02:48 PM
That is a really good bowl!! Love the use of offcuts and the colour combination!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

StevoWoodi
10th October 2016, 04:33 PM
Nice looking combination. What finish have you used?

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

Kuffy
10th October 2016, 04:51 PM
I sand up to #400 grit. Then apply enough sanding sealer to colour up the timber to highlight any sanding lines or chipout that I may have missed and need further repair. Then I use EEE - Ultra-shine for about a minute and then buff off using a clean part of the rag. Then apply a couple coats of shellawax. And then a final quick buffing with a soft clean rag.

lithro
11th October 2016, 10:47 AM
Just wanted to say keep up the videos. Learnt a lot

smiife
11th October 2016, 08:41 PM
Hi kuffy,
Nice bowl, well done,
I have just watched your video a couple of times,
To get the screw out of your piece , take it out of the
scroll chuck and use a shifter or spanner and undo it!
Also i ain, t no expert but if you put your tenon on first
you then have a reference between the foot and rim of
your bowl, you can then make a nice transition from top
to bottom, also noticed your speed when sanding and
with the bowl jaws, i think you will find a 500 or 600 rpm
speed limit on the bowl jaws!
I hope you don, t mind my comments only trying to help
and you can always tell me to mind my own ¥*$_÷#!;@× :o

Kuffy
11th October 2016, 09:31 PM
Thanks Smiife. That's a bloody obvious idea of removing the bowl AND wormscrew from the chuck and then just using a spanner...it's so obvious, I wonder why it didn't even enter my mind. :doh: Probably too busy struggling like a muppet!

Your absolutely correct about putting the tenon on first before shaping the outside of the bowl. I make the same mistake everytime. Shape the outside THEN add the tenon or recess and have to reshape the outside again. Each time I tell myself not to forget for the next time....I have a memory like a goldfish!

Oh yeah....I didn't consider the cole jaws have a max speed rating. They are so nicely balanced and the lathe gives no issues with them that there were no signs to provoke me to think about it. But after a seconds worth of thought, I will be using the cole jaws on a slower speed setting from now on. Thanks for that.