PDA

View Full Version : Spalted Spotted Gum

StevoWoodi
17th October 2016, 02:24 PM
Below is a shot of some spotted gum that I collected and cut into blanks back in Jan this year. I finally found time to rough turn it and when I dug the blanks out of the garbage bin I have been storing them in I found that the sap wood has become spalted. Quite a good effect I think.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161017/158507cfdbe82e1a746954222af2c0c2.jpg

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

Big A
20th October 2016, 08:49 PM
"Quite a good effect I think."

Well, yes and no. The spalting looks a bit crowded on the bottom and the side of the bowl looks "dirty" to me. This may be caused by the photo of the bowl and surrounds. I have had both effects in mango - some looked good and some not so good. I have also done some SG and not really fascinated by by the colour - I don't really dislike it but like red gum and broad leaf ironbark a lot better. (You can find other woods that are easier to turn, though!)

Anyhow, you like the bowl and that is what counts. It probably looks good on the shelf or sideboard and the more I look at it the more I like it.

Cheers,
Alister.

StevoWoodi
21st October 2016, 10:26 AM
I see what you mean by "looking a bit dirty" but SG can be a bit plain and I thought the spalting added some variety. I will post a photo of the finished item when I get it done after it dries out some, probably 6 to 12 months time, if I can wait that long.

I can vouch for the fact that SG does turn very well and it is easy to make lots of shavings, particularly when rough turning a batch of blanks. Unlike the red ironbark that I have done in the past where it is hardly worth turning the grinder off!:)

Thanks for your comments,

Steve

Christos
21st October 2016, 04:39 PM
I like the spalting to be shown on the inside of the bowl as well as the outside if it possible. You don't have to pick it up to see what the piece has. You could turn a plate if the spalting is not very deep.