PDA

View Full Version : Chess Set

Outsider
31st August 2005, 12:55 AM
I have just completed this Chess Set.

I am perplexed at how long it took to complete. It is a gift for a friend in Toronto who I will be visiting next week.

I bought the Kit from Carbatec and used the sponsors products to provide the shine on Blue Gum and Silky Oak.

I am pleased with the results with eee Ultrashine and Shellawax Glow but was amazed to see that there was a fine line between actually boiling the polish with friction and burning it. I found the slight boiling through the polishing rag was the difference between an absolute glowing finish and a dullish result.

Ian007
31st August 2005, 07:26 AM
Nice, I didnt know you could get kits like that.
So how long did it take to make?

Cheers Ian :)

DPB
31st August 2005, 09:03 AM
Like Ian, this is the first I've heard of the availability of this kind of kit. What did it cost?

Slavo
31st August 2005, 09:25 AM
carbatec sell them for $89 http://svc010.bne011i.server-web.com/catalogue/carbatec2/cache/header-1249public__0-0.html?cache=no

Bodgy
31st August 2005, 09:32 AM
Slavo - thats really impressive work!

How long to create? Did you do the similar pieces, ie the Pawns, off the single blank say 3-4 at a time, or did you turn each individually?

I hope your Canadian friend, if of the female persuasion, will be suitably grateful.

Slavo
31st August 2005, 10:05 AM
Not my work Bodgy (Though I wish I could say it was). You better ask outsider about that

Outsider
31st August 2005, 10:21 AM
Sorry he's a 6' 3" Finn. He was visiting us in Aust and was with me when I bought the wood at Trend Timbers but he didn't know what it was for. Boy will he be surprised.

I cut a 28 mm x 28 mm blanks about 900mm long and chamfered the edges on my tablesaw. Had to clamp the triton fence to the normal fence to get the 45" angle. my small table saw has no tilting arbor. I have no 3 phase for my massive panel saw. Sigh one day.

I tried using a 600mm length in the lathe but it wipped too much. 3 at a time is about the limit. After turning each blank I trimmed the bottom to the appropriate place ( a little bit away from the groove very precise) then trimmed the other end to 3 diffetent lengths depending on the centre screws. Knights, Pawns and Major pieces three different lengths. I THINK 25mm 31mm 38mm now using a vernier. (Really didn't have to be that precise)

I used a forsner bit on the base of each piece as there is a locating step on the base and on the Rooks there is also one on the top. The location is very imprecise as the centre is difficult to find (my turning is not very round when inspected carefully. Very careful use of the bit can help find the virtual centre.

The hole was drilled through the centre from both ends just to try and stop it deviating away from perpendicular. I then made a jig ( a hole sawn piece of MDF and a threaded welding rod with a small piece of 3/8 pipe as a spacer ) The rod through the centre of the MDF the spacer then the piece with nuts and washers on either end. The MDF is then held in the chuck for sanding and polishing.

Part of the sanding process was to slightly round over each end and finish the taper to suit each pieces' top shape.

As for how long it took it was possibly an hour average for each piece ( Ok I FAF around a lot). It seemed to consume every waking hour I was not at work for over a month maybe 6 weeks.

I got a good deal the kit of tops, bases, screws and board were on special for $49.00 I think. Six months ago maybe.

I will be unable to help with any replies as I will now be away for approx 3 weeks.

Brian
The careful sawdust creator.