PDA

View Full Version : Four bowls

artful bodger
18th November 2016, 05:54 PM
Bowl 1. Huon pine 185mm dia x 56 high. This was the first bowl I made after purchasing a vicmarc 100 and a vicmarc 120 chuck. It only took one bowl to realise the limitations of the 2 standard sets of jaws these chucks come with. But if all you have is a hammer......
399948399949 To me the foot is too small in diameter compared to the O.D. of the bowl. It was turned using the standard jaws on the 120 chuck. After this one I ordered a few extra sets of jaws for each chuck.

Bowl 2. Elm burl 100mm dia x 52 mm high. This bowl was made from a left over bit I had from a previous post. It did have some borer holes and lots of little hollow inclusions. Although it is rather small for a bowl and is a simple design it is still quite an attractive little number, according to the 2 people who have seen it up until now.
Turned using the standard set of jaws for the VM 100 chuck.

Bowl 3. Myrtle 198mm x 66mm. I like myrtle, it cuts well, takes a finish well and kind of oozes a quality that only really old trees seem to be able to do. So far this one has had 2 coats of Danish type oil.

Bowl 4. Australian cedar 410mm dia x 66mm high. Since I live in Tassie you do not get the chance to turn this timber very often, if ever. However, being an ex-pat "North Islander" I knew that some cedar I saw at a garage sale last week was worth buying. Already posted this pic on a previous thread but just to refresh the memory, here are the chunks I bought.
399959 Usually when I have a run of items to make I start with the smallest sized bits and work my way up. However with this lot gotta say I was a bit like a kid in a lolly shop, just had to grab the biggest sweet. The following bowl is made from the bit of wood 2nd from right leaning against the wall. You can see it is milled from a fork in the tree where one finds crotch figure. Anyway here it is.....
399961399960 Took lots of photos of this one to try and show the figure the best, hard to pick which one wins so please excuse double pics.
399962 And a profile shot. This bowl was turned on the outside with a screw chuck (standard jaws on the VM 120 chuck with the screw) which in retrospect was a bit dicey. If I were to re-make it I would use a faceplate with multiple screws to hold the blank. However luck was on my side this time. The outside was turned with one of my newly purchased VM120 jaws (dia of foot, approx 132mm). Towards the end of the job things started getting slightly unstable, then I realised the chuck needed re-tightening. I guess you get that with soft timbers. So far the bowl had had one sloshing of Danish type oil and will no doubt get a few more.
All together now...
399963 Cheers.

bueller
18th November 2016, 06:21 PM
Nice work mate! Love the grain on the Huon pine bowl and the Red Cedar is gorgeous too.

Can't wait to get my Vicmarc up and running, finally hitting the home stretch now. How are you finding the Vicmarc chucks? I'm thinking of getting a VM120 when funds allow, need to get turning tools first though.

artful bodger
18th November 2016, 06:44 PM
Thanks Bueller (you got a Buell, motorcycle?)
The Vicmarc chucks seem to be quality items, however you will probably find you will need to buy several sets of different jaws down the track. If only someone could invent a chuck that could accommodate any sized foot in the one chuck!. Then I would buy it.

smiife
18th November 2016, 07:28 PM
Thanks Bueller (you got a Buell, motorcycle?)
The Vicmarc chucks seem to be quality items, however you will probably find you will need to buy several sets of different jaws down the track. If only someone could invent a chuck that could accommodate any sized foot in the one chuck!. Then I would buy it.
Hi AB,
Wow ........you have been busy, all very nicely done ?.:2tsup:
I like the cedar one best, really looks great , well done