PDA

View Full Version : Stinky Easterner Weeds

Willy Nelson
18th November 2016, 10:21 PM
Good evening ladies and gentlemen
A friend of mine invited me to assist him to chop up a Stinky Eastern weed, or Camphor Laurel. It was pretty big by WA standards and appeared to have a bit of colour. The tree lopped had left most the timber in manageable lengths, but there was some real big trunk pieces which would require breaking down further so we could move them.

We filled both our trailers, then headed to my block to mill them further.

Wow! The colour was good, but the quilting was brilliant.

I got about 20 large blanks, around the 400-500mm size. There was also numerous smaller bowl blanks.
All now been through the bandsaw, endgrain rolled and sealed in hot candle wax. Luckily, I have just built some new timber drying racks, as all other racks are full.

Cant wait for it to dry and I can turn it
Cheers
Willy,
Jarrahland

powderpost
18th November 2016, 10:45 PM
That stuff would make some very nice boxes.

Jim

fubar
19th November 2016, 03:38 AM
here I was thinking, who was your new gardener?

BlackbuttWA
19th November 2016, 04:14 PM
Beautiful colour & grain there Willy. Will make a nice change from turning burls:)
You say you have made more racks for this. Are the racks in the shade ?
Do you have them under retic' ?
Photos would be good....please
Cheers
Col

John.G
19th November 2016, 07:31 PM
That stuff would make some very nice boxes.

Jim

I dunno guys... thats twice in the last month I've heard him say "boxes". I'm getting worried about him.

Willy Nelson
19th November 2016, 10:46 PM
Beautiful colour & grain there Willy. Will make a nice change from turning burls:)
You say you have made more racks for this. Are the racks in the shade ?
Do you have them under retic' ?
Photos would be good....please
Cheers
Col

Hello Col
I showed photos of my drying racks in the Shed Build thread (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f245/willys-workshop-188664/14), they are all now full :o. So, I had to make more to accommodate my ever expanding collection of timber :2tsup:. Yes, I know it is a disease:C:C

The new racks are in the Dust Collector, Air compressor and High pressure water blaster storage room, or in Naval Speak, Auxillary Machinery Room No 1, AMR1. The turning/carving area is referred to as Main Machinery Room MMR.

The racks are high and dry, no sunlight and a mesh door to allow a little fresh air, perfect for timbers. No Retic
Cheers
Willy
Jarrahland