PDA

View Full Version : DC queary

Munga
2nd September 2005, 07:18 AM
I have never had a DC but am in the process of getting a 2HP-- 1900CFM unit and through reading the threads i have noticed that the cyclones are allways situated after the DC is there a specific reason for this or can it be placed between the tool and the DC.

Thanks in advance for any advice, I didn't realise how little I knew untill I joined and started reading this forum.

Cheers Arch.

zenwood
2nd September 2005, 07:24 AM
Other way round I think:

The dust leaves the tool,
then is swirled around inside the cyclone to collect the shavings, larger dust particles etc,
then the very fine stuff goes out the uptake at the centre of the cyclone,
then through the empeller
and into a filter bag.

Gumby
2nd September 2005, 10:18 AM
I have never had a DC but am in the process of getting a 2HP-- 1900CFM unit and through reading the threads i have noticed that the cyclones are allways situated after the DC is there a specific reason for this or can it be placed between the tool and the DC.

Thanks in advance for any advice, I didn't realise how little I knew untill I joined and started reading this forum.

Cheers Arch.

You'd better have another read Munga. As Zenwood correctly says, they go BETWEEN the machine and the DC. No point in having them after the DC. If you don't want a full blown cyclone, just use the DC and put a rubbish bin separator in between.

Like this:
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=18664&highlight=stage+dust

Skew ChiDAMN!!
5th September 2005, 01:45 AM
If you don't want a full blown cyclone, just use the DC and put a rubbish bin separator in between.

I'd planned on building a cyclone, but I bought a Carbatec DC and now I'm more inclined to settling for a seperator just to stop larger chunks going thru the impeller.

For those who don't know the C-T DC's, the ducts run straight to the impeller, which then blows into a "semi"-cyclone and vents through a top-mounted filter. A case of putting the cart before the horse, except it works. :D

Can you see any advantage a full cyclone may have over a seperator with the afore-mentioned DC?

Munga
5th September 2005, 06:36 AM
I have just reread my post and realize I forgot to mention that the bags were going after the cyclone it was the blower I was refering to, sorry to waste your time but thanks anyhow.

Cheers Arch.

outback
5th September 2005, 01:06 PM
If you read Bill Pentz's site you will find he advocates using a push through system. i.e. machine, impeller, Cyclone, final filtration. Most people opt for a pull through system i.e. machine, cyclone, impeller, final filtration.

Whilst Bill's Ideal design is more efficient in its use of air power, it does have the downside that small pieces of timber, tools, and children can get sucked through the impeller, leading to damage.

Remeber the bags on most Dc's are not going to remove the really fine dust, it's this which causes the damage to us.

A heap of people, me included if I ever find a Dc will be to use a chip collector, but house it and the Dc in a lean to adjacent to my shed, then I can vent the really fine dust outside. No I won't have trouble with neighbours, I don't got none. :D

Munga
5th September 2005, 10:04 PM
Thanks Outback it is the pull system I'm thinking about but in the dark about what power loss (air flow/speed) if any compared to the push system, my unit will be housed outside as well as no neighbours to worry about and less noise for me.:) Cheers Arch.