PDA

View Full Version : Coronet Number 1 lathe (Record Power)

splintergroup
28th November 2016, 12:53 PM
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and new to woodturning. I have a question that i was hoping someone might be able to help me with.

I've picked up an old but working Record lathe. (Number 1 Coronet) It all works great but it didn't come with a drive centre or a mounting plate for bowl turning etc. I don't even know the size of the thread under the thread protector.
Can i still get these accessories. I'd like to do some (start) turning bowls or at least try out turning a bowl. So with this in mind I'm trying to get a drive centre and a mounting face plate. Can anyone give me some advice on where to start...

Thanks in advance for any information you can give me...

Phil

Rod Gilbert
28th November 2016, 05:35 PM
Hi phill,
Welcome to the forum good score with the lathe a good little unit the record the drive and tail centre's are No.1 morse taper and the hand nut on the spindle thread is needed when using spur drive to eject it from the shaft as there is no hole through the spindle for a knock out bar so never fit tapered fittings without or they are a bugger to get out. I don't know the thread size but you can definitely get a chuck to fit and I am sure someone here will chime in with the size.
Regards Rod.

Ironwood
28th November 2016, 08:08 PM
The spindle thread is 3/4 x 16 tpi. I have a CL3, the thread will be the same. You can get adapters to fit any chuck and accessories. As Rod said the morse tapers are MT1, live and dead centres are available to suit.
Some of the forum sponsors should be able to supply what you need, try Carrolls , Timberbits, and Pops Shed. Their websites can be accessed by clicking on the links on the right hand side of your screen.
If you need any more help, just ask here.

Paul39
29th November 2016, 08:36 AM
A bit more info:

Coronet & Record No.1, 2 and 3 wood lathes (http://www.lathes.co.uk/coronet/page5.html)

orraloon
29th November 2016, 10:56 AM
I started off turning with a record lathe. As others have said well built and smooth running. My brother is now learning to turn with it. A good lathe to start with.
It would be a good idea to track down you'r local woodturning club for some startup advice and a bit of tuition. Tools and a grinder to sharpen them should also be on you'r list. Turning just cant be done for more than a few minutes if you cant sharpen the tools.
Regards
John

splintergroup
30th November 2016, 05:41 PM
Hey,

thanks for all the responses guys, cheers for that...i am new to wood turning but have got experience from school days etc...(although i'm not really wanting to wave that flag...)

I am currently trying to get the Record lathe kitted out for bowl turning and expect to do this from now til christmas etc. Got a grinder, belt sander...a collection of tools and some nice wood to start me off. Everything's going great...just don't really know the lingo yet...it's all good tho...thanks again for chiming in...appreciate it.

phil

(thanks for the welcome and thread size and links etc)

splintergroup
30th November 2016, 05:48 PM
thanks for the welcome, Rod...cheers, Phil

Paul39
1st December 2016, 04:23 AM
Splintergroup,

Everything's going great...just don't really know the lingo yet.

This might help:

https://www.google.com/search?client=ubuntu&channel=fs&q=woodturning+terms+glossery&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Dalboy
1st December 2016, 05:45 AM
The spindle thread is 3/4 x 16 tpi. I have a CL3, the thread will be the same. You can get adapters to fit any chuck and accessories. As Rod said the morse tapers are MT1, live and dead centres are available to suit.
Some of the forum sponsors should be able to supply what you need, try Carrolls , Timberbits, and Pops Shed. Their websites can be accessed by clicking on the links on the right hand side of your screen.
If you need any more help, just ask here.

To add to this the knurled protector is also an ejector for any morse taper bits that you may use. I also run a CL3 at the moment

Ironwood
1st December 2016, 07:54 AM
I had a bit of a look around for chucks and adapters to suit your lathe. Timberbits has Vicmarc chucks and adapters Vicmarc Chucks (http://www.timberbits.com/shop-by-brand/vicmarc/vicmarc-chucks.html)

GPW has their own brand, as well as Vicmarc, the GPW chuck is cheaper but I am sure it is still good quality. I think the 100 size chuck would be a good match for your lathe GPW Chucks (http://www.garypye.com/Chucks/GPW-Generation-3-Collet-and-Longworth-Chucks-c30/)

As for the MT1 accessories, they seem to be a bit harder to find these days, most new lathes have MT2 and most places seem to just cater for that size now. Ebay is a good source for MT1 stuff, I have bought MT1 live and dead centers from china and HongKong off Ebay without any problems. Another option for a drive center is the screw-on Vicmarc drive center from Timberbits, it will screw onto your lathes drive spindle.

Ironwood
1st December 2016, 07:55 AM
Double post.

jmk89
1st December 2016, 11:23 AM
RecordPower (http://www.recordpower.com.au/category/woodturning-accessories) obviously have accessories for these lathes, including MT1 items

Uncle Al
1st December 2016, 09:31 PM
Mcjing have quite a few MT1 accessories in their catalogue. Just enter "MT1" in their search box, and you will see 2 pages of lathe bits and pieces with pricing.

Alan...

Allen Neighbors
2nd December 2016, 05:59 AM
Welcome, Phil!
Looks like you're off to a good start! I didn't know there were so many things to be had that would fit a Record Lathe, though I've heard of them for many years.
Have fun/stay safe.
Al