PDA

View Full Version : large rosewood blank ....help!

smiife
28th November 2016, 07:10 PM
Hi guys,
After the last big blank , and a couple of mishaps
I thought I would ask for some advice on size , tenon
or recess , etc..........
This was a large piece of rosewood given to me by a
friend , and i was wanting to make a nice bowl,
Today i roughed it into a round blank approx 300mm x 200mm
Any advice/help would be gratefully received .
Here are some photos of progress so far :2tsup:

Gabriel
28th November 2016, 07:13 PM
How about glueing a waste block on and using a faceplate? Much more likely not to slip then...

Pat
28th November 2016, 08:00 PM
Smiife, if it was me, then a spigot sized to my largest diameter jaw set (Titan Powerjaw 105mm) and use tail stock support to the bowl is hollowed out.

It will be a deep bowl at 200mm, it may look out of proportion. You could cut the blank in half and have 2 300 x 100 blanks.

Christos
28th November 2016, 09:23 PM
With a deep bowl you could come up with an unusual shape. I have given this a try on a couple of pieces but find that these don't always look nice.

I am tending to think that cutting this in half would be one way to go.

turnerted
28th November 2016, 09:30 PM
I would be cutting it in half too.
Ted

wheelinround
28th November 2016, 09:42 PM
Nice size blank Smiife leave it alone as one piece you have flattened the base you can use Cole Jaws and live centre depending on the shape a steady to support it. You have to be comfortable doing this I see at least 3 shapes in it.

Rosewood the shed must smell heavenly I am busting to get back into turning ..........other projects first order.

Take a look at Hughie's work maybe not the fluting but shape and size.

As suggested you could slice it in half hollow out each section fit a contrasting centre band and refit together to make one large vessel.:2tsup:

Edited to add

I had to go look again that cambian layer would/should make interesting look at either end.

A glued tenon of either ply, mdf or hardwood use epoxy for max grip 24hr setting good stuff.

Good luck with it.

smiife
29th November 2016, 06:55 PM
Hi guys,
Many thanks for the ideas , :2tsup:
Glue block or cut it in half ?
Not too sure i could cut it in half,
Just went and measured it again , 300mm x 160mm
So it ended up not as big as i first thought,
I think i will try and keep it in one piece , i like the
white bark line around the top, so i might try and keep
that around the rim, and take a bit off the bottom to
get the proportions right,
Thanks again to everyone for there thoughts, much appreciated :2tsup:

hughie
29th November 2016, 08:13 PM
Hi guys,
Many thanks for the ideas , :2tsup:
Glue block or cut it in half ?
Not too sure i could cut it in half,
Just went and measured it again , 300mm x 160mm
So it ended up not as big as i first thought,
I think i will try and keep it in one piece , i like the
white bark line around the top, so i might try and keep
that around the rim, and take a bit off the bottom to
get the proportions right,
Thanks again to everyone for there thoughts, much appreciated :2tsup:

As to whether you cut or leave whole largely depends on the design.... Ok that sound pretty much like a cop out :)
But stick with me I am going somewhere with this.

When I first started out I had similar problems and it was hard figure out which way to jump, although I had plenty of advice it still came down to me to make that decision.
So What I did over the next few years was to put these fancy blanks to one side till I was positive on the way to go. It might take a day , it might take a week or even a month or two.

During this time I started a image file of turners I liked and most I had never heard of, in fact of any turned piece I liked.. This was and still is to some extent my inspiration file it now is over half a gigabit of images fairly well cataloged under names etc. :)

This has stood me in good stead over quite a while and although its not used anywhere like I used to I still keep it handy. If nothing else to view some amazing pieces by some very talented turners.

Paul39
30th November 2016, 02:41 AM
smiife,

As it is a bit thick but too thin for two pieces, I would make a spigot to fit your largest chuck jaws. I find that more reliable than expanding jaws into a recess with the timber available here. You can then make the spigot into a foot or turn it off when finishing the bottom.

What Hughie says makes good sense. When in doubt set it aside and think about it a while.

Something to look at:

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1440&bih=748&q=turned+wood+bowls&oq=turned+wood+bowls&gs_l=img.12..0j0i5i30k1l2j0i8i30k1.4055.8633.0.12833.17.13.0.3.3.0.110.1147.9j4.13.0....0...1ac.1.64.img..1.16.1182...0i30k1.sxjZk1RsLeY

Allen Neighbors
30th November 2016, 04:42 AM
I agree with all posters... cut it in half, or leave it sized as is. It's up to you. But their ideas make good sense. I would just add to make sure and use a good respirator or at least some fans to direct the dust away from you and out of your shed when you're sanding it. Rosewood dust is pretty well toxic. At least Indian and Cocobolo are. I got some pretty rough chest congestions and sinus infections from a couple of pieces before I learned my lesson.
Have fun, be safe. It looks like a good start to a great bowl!
Al

smiife
30th November 2016, 07:18 PM
As to whether you cut or leave whole largely depends on the design.... Ok that sound pretty much like a cop out :)
But stick with me I am going somewhere with this.

When I first started out I had similar problems and it was hard figure out which way to jump, although I had plenty of advice it still came down to me to make that decision.
So What I did over the next few years was to put these fancy blanks to one side till I was positive on the way to go. It might take a day , it might take a week or even a month or two.

During this time I started a image file of turners I liked and most I had never heard of, in fact of any turned piece I liked.. This was and still is to some extent my inspiration file it now is over half a gigabit of images fairly well cataloged under names etc. :)

This has stood me in good stead over quite a while and although its not used anywhere like I used to I still keep it handy. If nothing else to view some amazing pieces by some very talented turners.

Hi hughie,
Thats a great Idea, thanks for your thoughts.....:cool:

smiife,

As it is a bit thick but too thin for two pieces, I would make a spigot to fit your largest chuck jaws. I find that more reliable than expanding jaws into a recess with the timber available here. You can then make the spigot into a foot or turn it off when finishing the bottom.

What Hughie says makes good sense. When in doubt set it aside and think about it a while.

Something to look at:

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1440&bih=748&q=turned+wood+bowls&oq=turned+wood+bowls&gs_l=img.12..0j0i5i30k1l2j0i8i30k1.4055.8633.0.12833.17.13.0.3.3.0.110.1147.9j4.13.0....0...1ac.1.64.img..1.16.1182...0i30k1.sxjZk1RsLeY

Hi paul,
I think I will wait awhile , and not rush Into anything just yet
Thanks for the link too,, some good ideas there :2tsup:

I agree with all posters... cut it in half, or leave it sized as is. It's up to you. But their ideas make good sense. I would just add to make sure and use a good respirator or at least some fans to direct the dust away from you and out of your shed when you're sanding it. Rosewood dust is pretty well toxic. At least Indian and Cocobolo are. I got some pretty rough chest congestions and sinus infections from a couple of pieces before I learned my lesson.
Have fun, be safe. It looks like a good start to a great bowl!
Al

Hi Al, thanks for the heads up , I appreciate your advice
Thanks ,:)

chuck1
4th December 2016, 07:05 AM
I would be coring that blank!

smiife
4th December 2016, 05:44 PM
I would be coring that blank!

Hi charlie , yeah , good idea ,,, I, ll send you the blank and you can
test out your new corer !!!

smiife
4th December 2016, 06:17 PM
Hi guys , a bit of progress today ,,,,,,,,I thought about all the suggestions carefully and thendecided to cut it in half!:oo:First with a 10mm beading/parting tool .....all went wellThen with my 6mm parting tool .....mmmmm things didn, t go too well.....there was a knot in the way and bang @#÷$%&€OK , one buggered parting tool , so off to the bandsawWhich worked ok , just a bit of a dogs breakfast but finally got threw it, One piece will make a nice platter and the other a bowl A few photos of the process ......

Pat
4th December 2016, 07:42 PM
Too much reach for the 6mm sorby.

Atleast you can rehandle it :U

smiife
4th December 2016, 08:28 PM
Too reach for the 6mm sorby.

Atleast you can rehandle it :U

Hi pat , yeah I think I pushed it too much,
The next handle will be a custom jobbie:U

chuck1
4th December 2016, 08:45 PM
Hi charlie , yeah , good idea ,,, I, ll send you the blank and you can
test out your new corer !!!

I thought you were sending it to me core.
That was some brave bandsawing. Well done. Now you can turn a lidded bowl grain matched!

hughie
10th December 2016, 09:55 PM
Been there :U more than once.

Paul39
11th December 2016, 09:33 AM
Good outcome, two blanks, no blood.:)

smiife
12th December 2016, 07:27 PM
I thought you were sending it to me core.
That was some brave bandsawing. Well done. Now you can turn a lidded bowl grain matched!

Hi charlie , good Idea , hmmm....... lidded bowl , hold that
Thought !

Been there :U more than once.

Hi hughie
Probably not the last for me either :U

Good outcome, two blanks, no blood.:)

Hi paul , yeah , 2 blanks and no blood......not yet ! :o

wheelinround
12th December 2016, 07:37 PM
Now you can shape both interior of the laminated bowl with contrast timber as highlight.